Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2014 9:29:58 PM EDT
What is the easiest and cheapest way to cut down a shotgun barrel?  Also is there an optimal 12 ga barrel length to use with 00 buck shot for 0-25 yards?

Edited to mention I am talking about a non-ribbed single barrel.

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:18:55 PM EDT
[#1]
A. Ask this in the shotgun forum.

B. Have it professionally done.  It can range in price from 30-120 dollars depending on where you go.  I recently used Steve Rose from Rose Action Sports in KY for mine.  He is highly regarded here on the boards (in the shotgun section).  It cost me 60 dollars to cut and crown my barrel down to 12.5in and that included return shipping.  His turn around time was less than a week.  

http://roseactionsports.com

Good luck!
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:02:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Believe it or not, if you want to cut it yourself a pipe cutter isn't a terrible option. You just need to be able to re-crown the barrel properly.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:09:51 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Believe it or not, if you want to cut it yourself a pipe cutter isn't a terrible option. You just need to be able to re-crown the barrel properly.
View Quote
Does a short shotgun barrel really need to be crowned?

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:20:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what Im thinking. It isn't going to be remotely close to a precision device

Id chop it as evenly as possible and call it a day.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:16:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Hack Saw?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:55:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:03:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I've used a pipe cutter. I put several layers of duct tape on the barrel to keep from marring it. Then I dressed up the inside of the cut with a dremel tool and a sanding drum.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:02:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I agree with everyone else.

Pipe cutter worked like a charm.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:29:48 PM EDT
[#9]
hacksaw and belt sander.  just make sure the sander table is probably squared off to the belt and you have a barrel that doesn't taper.  You may still need to eyeball it a bit and have an 90 degree rule to check.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:41:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Masking tape and hacksaw. Did a decent crown with a cone shaped grind bit and hand drill.  It was a ventrib bbl and looks great...
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:09:06 PM EDT
[#11]
A pipe cutter may pinch the barrel in, requiring extra file work to eliminate the constriction.  A hacksaw works really well.  Also, depending on the taper of the barrel at the place where the cut is made, the pipe cutter will want to spiral towards the muzzle.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:11:59 PM EDT
[#12]
I dremeled and sanding blocked mine.

MAHA
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 3:11:13 AM EDT
[#13]
I have done several for coworkers in the past. Last shotgun barrel I worked on had been cut with a pipe cutter before he gave it to me. The entire area around the cut was beveled inward quite a bit. Prior to handing it over to me to fix he was going to fire a couple slugs through it to correct the bevel. Apparently he tried fixing it with birdshot and the old single shot fell apart and he said the barrel landed on the ground about 10 feet in from of him. I would recommend a band saw first, followed by a cutting wheel, dremel or even a hacksaw before using a pipe cutter. Just cut it with at least a 1/2 inch to spare so that when you are done cleaning it up you still have wiggle room.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:59:21 AM EDT
[#14]
You'd be surprised what just a slight variation at the crown can do to your point of impact. I wouldn't have believed it but I watched an old boy shift the POI of a shotgun by carving on the end of his barrel with a pocketknife. Again, I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't watched him do it, but I did.

Anyway, cutting the barrel is the easy part. Installing the new front sight is what separates the hacks from the smiths.

This is a do-able DIY job but really is probably not a good idea. I've done a couple but I probably won't do it again. The local gunsmith would probably do the job for $50. Seems like money well spent.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:27:22 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Anyway, cutting the barrel is the easy part. Installing the new front sight is what separates the hacks from the smiths.

This is a do-able DIY job but really is probably not a good idea. I've done a couple but I probably won't do it again. The local gunsmith would probably do the job for $50. Seems like money well spent.
View Quote
I guess I should have specified that this will be a sbs and there won't be a front sight or stock installed. I was thinking a 8-11" barrel.  Will either make a big difference?

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:04:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I guess I should have specified that this will be a sbs and there won't be a front sight or stock installed. I was thinking a 8-11" barrel.  Will either make a big difference?  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you're going to spend $200 on a tax stamp you might as well spend another $40-$50 on a gunsmith. But would 3" make a difference on gun not intended to be fired from the shoulder? I don't see how it could. In either case, you're talking about short range blasting weapon. Barrel length is all about handling and balance, not pattern or shot performance.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:19:10 AM EDT
[#17]
I did mine just last month.

Band saw just like the one pictured a few post above, cut it down to 13.125. Chucked in in the mill, faced the front to 13". Cleaned up edges with belt sander, and the inside with a deburring tool.

Drill and tapped for front sight bead.

Didn't take long and at 15 yards with 00buck it pattered like a single fist through the paper. Was really surprised and impressed.

I am not a trained machinist, I have access to "most" machinery but said machinery is limited. Example - chucked into mill because lathe spindle bore is 3/4""
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 4:39:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Nice looking shotgun DC!

As long as you don't want choke tubes it's easy.
Cut straight with the hacksaw, File it square and smooth with a flat file/sandpaper, Hit it with some cold blue.

The bead is easy too, for 10 bucks Brownells sells a kit that includes a couple new brass beads and the correct size drill and tap.

I cut this myself twice. Once to 19 inches for practice and once to 12.5" when my stamp came back. Went smoothly both times.
Plus, cutting into a shotgun barrel with a hacksaw is just one of those memorable life moments you don't want to miss out on.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top