Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2014 9:15:54 AM EDT
I'm looking to file my first 2 Form 1's before i deploy at the end of the month. I just got my trust completed and cans ordered in hopes that they will be ready for pickup when I return in 6-8 months. My plan is to go ahead and submit my Form 1's and have them back and ready to build when I get home.

1. Is this a valid idea? I will be in and out of the country over the next 12-24 months but wanted to take advantage before any changes with 41p. My wife will be here and is on the trust so I assume she could handle anything here w/ a POA.

2. I do not have the lowers in my possesion, but am I correct in assuming that I would need those before filing to have the serial and other information to file?

3. Other than overall length, which I would be guesstimating based off others w/ similar setups is there anything else I would need?

4. Is overall length from rear of extended stock to muzzle threads w/ non perm muzzle devices?

I've tried to skim through alot of the information, but there is alot to go through, so please forgive me for asking questions that I'm sure have been asked many times before.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:30:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm looking to file my first 2 Form 1's before i deploy at the end of the month. I just got my trust completed and cans ordered in hopes that they will be ready for pickup when I return in 6-8 months. My plan is to go ahead and submit my Form 1's and have them back and ready to build when I get home.

1. Is this a valid idea? I will be in and out of the country over the next 12-24 months but wanted to take advantage before any changes with 41p. My wife will be here and is on the trust so I assume she could handle anything here w/ a POA.
I don't see why this would be an issue

2. I do not have the lowers in my possesion, but am I correct in assuming that I would need those before filing to have the serial and other information to file?
Yes

3. Other than overall length, which I would be guesstimating based off others w/ similar setups is there anything else I would need?
You will need to put down the barrel legnth you want to purchase, but do not buy the barrel until you have the stamp

4. Is overall length from rear of extended stock to muzzle threads w/ non perm muzzle devices?
Yes, also if you are planning on collapsible stock it is with the stock fully extended

I've tried to skim through alot of the information, but there is alot to go through, so please forgive me for asking questions that I'm sure have been asked many times before.
View Quote

I'm no expert on this but IIRC this is how it goes. Also, with a trust you can E-file and possibly have your stamp back in less than a month.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:32:08 AM EDT
[#2]
1. Works fine, as long as she's a trustee. The trust is the applicant, not you.
2. Yes, you need them for the serial number and manufacturer info.
3. Barrel length. OAL is usually barrel plus ~19" for most setups.
4. Extended stock to furthest muzzle point, which would include a permanently attached muzzle device.

The actual wording on measuring OAL:
The overall length of a firearm is the distance between the muzzle of the barrel and the rearmost portion of the weapon measured on a line parallel to the axis of the bore.

And the proper methods of permanently attaching the muzzle device:
Permanent methods of attachment include full-fusion gas or electric steel-seam welding, high-temperature (1100°F) silver soldering, or blind pinning with the pin head welded over.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:19:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Just to clarify and summarize:

Quoted:

Approvals are coming in at way less than 30 days.  If you hurry you can get it before you deploy...and your wife can shoot it (as a trustee).

No POA necessary if she is a trustee.

Yes, S/Ns required to file.

Correct:  guesstimate good enough; I go with shortest probable/possible (10.3" on an AR SBR).

See 3. above:  doesn't have to be exact (or even accurate, just reasonable).
View Quote

Finally:  why are we even discussing permed muzzle devices and how to perm them in an SBR thread?
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:00:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for all of the information and clarification. You all make it sound too easy. I'll start looking into E-filing.

Quoted:
Finally:  why are we even discussing permed muzzle devices and how to perm them in an SBR thread?
View Quote

I think there may have been a little confusion on how I worded the question on OAL. I should have just said end of barrel threads and left out the part about non-perm muzzle devices.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:13:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for all of the information and clarification. You all make it sound too easy. I'll start looking into E-filing.

I think there may have been a little confusion on how I worded the question on OAL. I should have just said end of barrel threads and left out the part about non-perm muzzle devices.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Quoted:

Make sure to read through the EForms sticky in the General Class forum. It should help.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top