Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2014 9:41:18 AM EDT
Really wanting form 1 a PCC. Wondering if anyone here has experience with the current production Vector Uzis. They are considerably cheaper than the IMI uzis which peaked my interest but I have seen some mixed reviews on them in the past but nothing recently. Are they vernally reliable now?  Any experience would be greatly appreciated. Gotta take advantage of these shorter form 1 times. :)
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:03:52 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a vector that I SBRed. It's neat and all, but it is too heavy and unergronomic. I don't really like it anymore, but it's on the registry, so it's too much trouble to sell it. I guess it will look cool hanging on the wall in my study when I get a house. It is reliable.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:23:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I am thinking about doing a mini Vector Uzi sbr.  They cost a bit more though...
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:42:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a vector that I SBRed. It's neat and all, but it is too heavy and unergronomic. I don't really like it anymore, but it's on the registry, so it's too much trouble to sell it. I guess it will look cool hanging on the wall in my study when I get a house. It is reliable.  
View Quote

Remove it from NFA status and sell it. You send them a letter requesting removal from their registry. Include the original OR color copy of your form 1. Once done you have a gun anyone can buy the same day, providing your state does not have FTF BG checks, or waiting periods.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:59:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I am thinking about doing a mini Vector Uzi sbr.  They cost a bit more though...
View Quote

I have a Vector Mini pending right now.  I did it just for kicks as I used to have a Vector FA mini.  Yes, it's heavy and looks really stupid with the 16" barrel.  Can't wait till the form 1 clears.  It's paper as I filed before I had my trust so it'll still be a while.  Went pending on 7/28.

It's rock-solid reliable now with 25 round mags (all I have at the moment).  It'll be much handier when the barrel is chopped down.  Going to thread it for one of my old 9mm cans.  I've got an old AAC Phantom threaded 1/2-36 that'll work great.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:03:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a vector full size SBR. It's one of the original ones from like 7 years ago.

Yes it is heavy and yes it is very clunky compared to today's modern stuff... but it is a good shooter and mags are still readily available and cheap.

Get yourself a good wooden stock for it... use the folder for show but the wood fixed stock for range day.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:45:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the response. I really want a  sbr sub gun of some kind but just not sure if I want to spend 2K for a decent mp5 pistol to sbr. I always thought the uzi was cool for an sbr project and the price is certainly lower. Choices choices...
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:57:51 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Thanks for the response. I really want a  sbr sub gun of some kind but just not sure if I want to spend 2K for a decent mp5 pistol to sbr. I always thought the uzi was cool for an sbr project and the price is certainly lower. Choices choices...
View Quote
If I was doing it again and I could get an MP5 clone with mags and stamp for $2000 I would jump on it instead of the Uzi.  If the Uzi was select fire I suspect I would enjoy it a lot more.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:36:05 PM EDT
[#8]
The only thing that kept me away from the Uzi was optics mounting.

I am currently putting together a mp5k and a 9mm ar that takes Glock mags.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:35:41 AM EDT
[#9]
yeah, a full size Uzi SBR is lacking by modern standards.  If you want it for historical reasons, go for it...

but otherwise a Mini Uzi is a better choice for size reasons.  To maximize suppressor effectiveness, an MP5 or MP5k is the way to go.

However, for simplicity's sake and eas of procurement, the new Sig 9mm carbine maybe the way to go.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:22:43 PM EDT
[#10]
The UZI is boring as a semiauto - it is heavy, with poor ergonomics, and poor iron sights. It looks cool, but if mine (fullsize Vector) wasn't fullauto I would quickly have tired of it. If I were to have any UZI as a semiauto SBR it would be a mini UZI.

The 9mm SBRs that interest me are:
- B&T TP9 (soon to be reimported)
- B&T APC-9 (soon to be imported)
- MP5 fullsize
- MP5K-N pdw
- mini UZI

I have a fullauto mp5k-n pdw and would gladly have one as a semiauto SBR. The TP9 is über compact, with good ergos, and an optic rail that begs for an aimpoint T1.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:12:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The UZI is boring as a semiauto - it is heavy, with poor ergonomics, and poor iron sights. It looks cool, but if mine (fullsize Vector) wasn't fullauto I would quickly have tired of it. If I were to have any UZI as a semiauto SBR it would be a mini UZI.

The 9mm SBRs that interest me are:
- B&T TP9 (soon to be reimported)
- B&T APC-9 (soon to be imported)
- MP5 fullsize
- MP5K-N pdw
- mini UZI

I have a fullauto mp5k-n pdw and would gladly have one as a semiauto SBR. The TP9 is über compact, with good ergos, and an optic rail that begs for an aimpoint T1.
View Quote

Who is going to be bringing in the B&T stuff, still DSA???
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:29:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Rumor mill says Amati.

I have my doubts about the TP9 coming back though...
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:02:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Rumor mill says Amati.

I have my doubts about the TP9 coming back though...
View Quote

I almost bought a SBR until I found out about the barrel moving and only taking the proprietary can.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:10:04 AM EDT
[#14]
in a semi auto carbine, .45 just makes much more sense than 9mm...  9mm is so controllable, it can just give you a sad that its not full auto.   too bad there are so few options in .45 carbines.   Can't even get an AR that takes G21 mags.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:22:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I almost bought a SBR until I found out about the barrel moving and only taking the proprietary can.
View Quote

Thompson Machine makes a can that fits the first gen threaded TP9, but the three lug second gen only works with the Rotex can.

I've heard of people with the second gen buying the threaded muzzle part and swapping out so they could run the TM can... But good luck finding one of those parts. Even when the TP9 was being brought in by DSA parts were special order hens teeth affairs. The TP9 is a sweet platform (I have one) but it is borderline "don't shoot me in case something breaks" with me. If Amati is bringing them in again I'll buy two just to have spare parts...
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:28:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Thompson Machine makes a can that fits the first gen threaded TP9, but the three lug second gen only works with the Rotex can.

I've heard of people with the second gen buying the threaded muzzle part and swapping out so they could run the TM can... But good luck finding one of those parts. Even when the TP9 was being brought in by DSA parts were special order hens teeth affairs. The TP9 is a sweet platform (I have one) but it is borderline "don't shoot me in case something breaks" with me. If Amati is bringing them in again I'll buy two just to have spare parts...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah the ones I looked at must have been the 2nd gen because they were set up for the Rotex. I am putting together a MP5K out of a Black Market upper and will probably buy the new sig when it comes out.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:32:53 AM EDT
[#17]
How about a Glock carbine? .40 / .357 / 9mm all with a barrel swap, .22 with an upper swap. Parts are insanely available, huge aftermarket support, mags are plentiful and inexpensive. And it's a lot cheaper than an MP5. Plus, they're pretty unique.

Personally I think the MP5 rules the pistol caliber carbine world, but they don't come cheap. The TP9 is awesome, and I really wish that had panned out more. Uzis and Macs are really only fun in full auto. ARs are a bit bulky just to shoot 9mm, but the aftermarket support is second to none.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:12:26 AM EDT
[#18]
I thought about SBRing open of my glocks but I have heard mostly bad reviews about the polymer body drop in kits and the shoulder stock just doesn't seem all that comfortable or useful compared to an actual sub gun. Would be easy to get parts for sure.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:35:02 AM EDT
[#19]
I think the Endo Tactical unit is the way to go, I'm just waiting for them to come back in stock. The Fab Defense is a nice little unit, with my only complaint being the lack of a rubberized surface on the butt of the stock. The plastic is hard.

I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, just dry fire. I think it's going to be a lot of fun. I can write up a review once I have shot it, but I can tell you from dry firing it that it's super stable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top