Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2014 10:28:37 AM EDT
Got my trust done and want to take advantage of the quick turnaround time of the e-filed Form 1's before the ATF changes the rules for trusts.  I can't decide what route to go and could use some opinions.  I currently have a Noveske N4 with 14.5" barrel (non-NFA) for my general purpose carbine.  I'm thinking about getting a 10.5", because if I'm going through the trouble of getting an NFA item, I want it to be noticeably shorter than what I already have.  If I had to start over, I'd probably consider a 10.5" or 11.5" and a 16".  

Here are the options that I am mulling over:

1.  Form 1 my Noveske receiver.  Buy a complete 10.5" upper.
2.  Form 1 my Noveske receiver.  Send the barrel to Adco, and have it cut down to 10.5"-11.5".  Buy a new 16" upper (maybe- I'll probably only want to ever shoot the SBR).
3.  Form 1 my Noveske receiver.  Sell the Noveske upper, and buy 2 new uppers (an SBR and a 16").

I know that these posts are impossible to answer; just wanted to kick around some ideas with like-minded folks.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 11:09:30 AM EDT
[#1]
My vote is number 1.  Why do you want to change the 14.5" to a 16"?  I think the 14.5" is a better option.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 11:10:21 AM EDT
[#2]
How about:

1. Decide if you're going with 10.5 or 11.5" soonest.

2. File Form 1 for one of those immediately.

3. Don't buy another 16" barrel ever.

4. Decide if the Noveske shoots well enough to leave alone, and if not, cut it. (Adco)

5. Buy additional SBR uppers in multiple calibers...

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 11:33:24 AM EDT
[#3]
All that matters right now is that you have the lower you are going to SBR; the paperwork has nothing to do with the upper/barrel length.

You can take as long as you'd like (up to forever) to decide on a barrel length.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 11:36:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
All that matters right now is that you have the lower you are going to SBR; the paperwork has nothing to do with the upper/barrel length.

You can take as long as you'd like (up to forever) to decide on a barrel length.
View Quote

This. Start the eform now. The ATF just requires you to pick one for the point of the form. Just assume 10.5" is what you're building and submit it. If you decide to do something else you can change it. You are not required to notify the ATF if you change the barrel length.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 12:52:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Got my trust done and want to take advantage of the quick turnaround time of the e-filed Form 1's before the ATF changes the rules for trusts.  I can't decide what route to go and could use some opinions.  I currently have a Noveske N4 with 14.5" barrel (non-NFA) for my general purpose carbine.  I'm thinking about getting a 10.5", because if I'm going through the trouble of getting an NFA item, I want it to be noticeably shorter than what I already have.  If I had to start over, I'd probably consider a 10.5" or 11.5" and a 16".  

Here are the options that I am mulling over:

1.  Form 1 my Noveske receiver.  Buy a complete 10.5" upper.  10.5" LMT uppers go for $475 or pick up a used 6920 upper and have adco cut it down and open the port up a bit
2.  Form 1 my Noveske receiver.  Send the barrel to Adco, and have it cut down to 10.5"-11.5".  Buy a new 16" upper (maybe- I'll probably only want to ever shoot the SBR). No, it;s a midlength, the extra cost of converting it to  carbine gas is not worth it. The N4 is a great upper, keep it over getting a 16"
3.  Form 1 my Noveske receiver.  Sell the Noveske upper, and buy 2 new uppers (an SBR and a 16").

I know that these posts are impossible to answer; just wanted to kick around some ideas with like-minded folks.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 1:44:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

1.  Form 1 my Noveske receiver.  Buy a complete 10.5" upper.  10.5" LMT uppers go for $475 or pick up a used 6920 upper and have adco cut it down and open the port up a bit
2.  Form 1 my Noveske receiver.  Send the barrel to Adco, and have it cut down to 10.5"-11.5".  Buy a new 16" upper (maybe- I'll probably only want to ever shoot the SBR). No, it;s a midlength, the extra cost of converting it to  carbine gas is not worth it. The N4 is a great upper, keep it over getting a 16"

View Quote

N4 Light is a carbine length gas system.  Mine has a fixed front sight and a Centurion cut-out rail (probably the same set-up that I would go with on a 10.5".  Just cutting it down and opening the port would make a sweet SBR, but I think that you guys have convinced me to buy or build a 10.5" and keep the Noveske.  How is this for a plan:

1. E file a form 1 for my Noveske receiver.
2. Buy the Adco CQB basic (DD 10.3" barrel, fixed front sight, no handguard) for $420.
3. Move the Centurion cut-out rail from the Noveske to the sbr.
4. Shave the fsb on the Noveske and add a longer rail over the top.

Reason- I love the Centurion rail, but wish that I had more space out front for my hand.  It would be perfect for a 10.3" barrel though.  This allows me to "upgrade" my Noveske (longer rail) while still using the Centurion rail for the sbr.  Since the Adco CQB is naked, I'm not wasting money on a handguard or rail that I won't use.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 2:26:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm good with it.

Have you done that E-file yet?
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 4:28:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Why not just get the BCM 10.5" or 11.5" upper for $439 with the free BCG?

Mick
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 5:01:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Mick
View Quote

Tempted, but BCM only makes 11.5".  It is a fantastic deal.  If I didn't already have a 14.5", I'd seriously consider it.  I just can't justify the cost of the upper plus tax stamp for 3" shorter than what I already own.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 5:05:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Tempted, but BCM only makes 11.5".  It is a fantastic deal.  If I didn't already have a 14.5", I'd seriously consider it.  I just can't justify the cost of the upper plus tax stamp for 3" shorter than what I already own.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mick

3" is a decent difference....once you add a can to either, that 3" is noticeable.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 5:48:55 PM EDT
[#11]
This. I had (still do) a 14.5" M4A1, then got an AAC M4-2k. It's noticeably, significantly long.
I built the 11.5" Commando clone, and it's so nice in comparison.

Also, there is an AUG 16" that's even shorter.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 9:02:22 PM EDT
[#12]
I say leave you current upper as is and either buy or build a 10.5" or 11.5" upper.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top