Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/21/2014 7:49:38 PM EDT
Forgive my ignorance.  I have been shooting ARs for a long time but haven't used a mounted light in over a decade and I know a lot has changed.

Money doesn't matter.   What is the absolute best weapons light for SBR.  This is going on a 10.5in 300 BLK.    I understand some of this is personal preference so please give me pro/con of your choice.  I understand that this question may have been better placed in an equipment section but I figure most people with SBRs have been shooting for a while and may know a little more than the Mall Ninjas on most of the forums.

I prefer to have a switch that can be both temporarily activated and permanently activated by push button.

Thanks for the help guys.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 7:53:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I have this on my SBR,,it has momentary, on/off and high and low beam. Its small, lightweight and puts out very good light.

http://www.surefire.com/e2d-led-defender-ultra.html
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 8:08:32 PM EDT
[#2]
What kind of mount did you put it on?
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 8:15:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What kind of mount did you put it on?
View Quote

Ill be honest, I cobbled something together.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 8:20:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I would like something on the right side of the rifle.  I have a Noveske Keymod rail.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 8:59:11 PM EDT
[#5]
You need IR as well or just white?
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 9:03:53 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Forgive my ignorance.  I have been shooting ARs for a long time but haven't used a mounted light in over a decade and I know a lot has changed.

Money doesn't matter.   What is the absolute best weapons light for SBR.  This is going on a 10.5in 300 BLK.    I understand some of this is personal preference so please give me pro/con of your choice.  I understand that this question may have been better placed in an equipment section but I figure most people with SBRs have been shooting for a while and may know a little more than the Mall Ninjas on most of the forums.

I prefer to have a switch that can be both temporarily activated and permanently activated by push button.

Thanks for the help guys.
View Quote
i love my surefire x300

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 9:08:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm running a Surefire X300U on one and I'll be putting a Surefire X400U on another.

I like them.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 9:11:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I have inforce wml on my SBR ARs. They are very light and versital.

http://inforce-mil.com/rifle-carbine-lights.php
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 9:13:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Surefire M900 LED is nice if you don't mind the extra weight.

ETA, here mounted on a RRA PDS, which is already front heavy due to the piston assembly and rail.  I'm now using an Inforce WML
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:21:27 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a Surefire M952V on my Colt Commando clone. The selector ring is really convenient compared to the old IR flip-cover (if you have NVG's).
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:49:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Elzetta alpha single cell. I've got one on a thorntail mount-they make a key mod version too. Elzetta is super small, plenty of lumens 300 plus, made in the USA and could literally drive nails-for real there's a video of it. They are also modular so you can choose what kinda beam and tail caps you want.

http://www.elzetta.com/
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:28:48 PM EDT
[#12]
I use a TLR-1 HL on all mine.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:35:38 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm running a Surefire X300 on my 11.5" gun at 12 o'clock.  It's very similar to bigmoney327's photo above.  IMO there are several advantages to this setup:

1. Barrel shadow (if any) is at 6 o'clock where it's not in your field of view. I think this will be an even bigger benefit when I'm able to add my suppressor.

2. No need to buy a separate mount.

3. Light is fully ambidextrous and has momentary and constant on capability.

4. Light at 12 o'clock minimizes/eliminates back-splatter while shooting around cover.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:43:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Inforce WML with a Haley Strategic offset mount.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:59:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Inforce WML with a Haley Strategic offset mount.
View Quote

X2
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:18:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm running a Surefire X300 on my 11.5" gun at 12 o'clock.  It's very similar to bigmoney327's photo above.  IMO there are several advantages to this setup:

1. Barrel shadow (if any) is at 6 o'clock where it's not in your field of view. I think this will be an even bigger benefit when I'm able to add my suppressor.

4. Light at 12 o'clock minimizes/eliminates back-splatter while shooting around cover.
View Quote

I've tried a lot of different lights and locations and the above is what works the best for me.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 9:48:58 AM EDT
[#17]
I use a G2 wuth upgraded Cree LED bulb, think its like 250 lumens.

I plan to upgrade to the new X400V IRc
http://www.surefire.com/illumination/weaponlights/rifle-carbine-smg/x-seriesweaponlights/x400v-a-irc-led-weaponlight.html

It has a visible light, IR light and IR laser and intended to be used with NV goggles.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 9:52:20 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm not running Night Vision.   I do have a Surefire SOCOM which sticks out about 7 inches so barrel shadow may be an issue.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 10:04:56 AM EDT
[#19]
I have an older Surefire M951 I bought used off the EE and put it on a Larue mount and an LED bulb.  GTG.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:59:26 AM EDT
[#20]
M300 mini scout in a Thorntail or Thorntail SBR mount
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:25:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Does your sight see over the top of the flashlight?  I have Aimpoint H1 and Eotech, my concern was being able to see the light through the the optics or getting that shadow effect.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:10:59 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Does your sight see over the top of the flashlight?  I have Aimpoint H1 and Eotech, my concern was being able to see the light through the the optics or getting that shadow effect.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

On mine (pictured above) you can see the front site when it's deployed

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:21:30 PM EDT
[#23]
I think an X300 Ultra is a great choice, but if you want it on the top rail behind an iron sight I would do a TLR-1 HL. If you're putting it in front of the iron sight, either will be fine.

If you're set on a push button, Surefire Scout lights are awesome.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:36:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:Does your sight see over the top of the flashlight?  I have Aimpoint H1 and Eotech, my concern was being able to see the light through the the optics or getting that shadow effect.
View Quote

Yes. The setup is an Eotech EXPS3-0, Magpul MBUS Pro, and Surefire X300.  I was originally planning to get a Surefire Mini Scout light for it, but decided to try out an X300 I already had.  I like this setup so much I've decided to pick up an X300U in the near future and put the X300 back on a pistol for HD duty.  I have no problem using the MBUS Pros or the Eotech with the X300 in place. I was originally concerned over how much of the sight picture would be obstructed through the Eotech, but I can only see the very top edge of the X300 through the sight window.  

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:54:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have inforce wml on my SBR ARs. They are very light and versital.

http://inforce-mil.com/rifle-carbine-lights.php
View Quote

Same.  and couple with the Haley Strategic Keymod mounts they're the bees knees! :)
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 9:24:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'm not running Night Vision.   I do have a Surefire SOCOM which sticks out about 7 inches so barrel shadow may be an issue.
View Quote

If you don't need IR, Surefire Fury on a Haley Thorntail works great with or without a can.  I use a Gemtech M402 on this rifle as well.

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 9:06:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Thanks for the advice guys.  I went with the LaRue M300 combo with offset mount.  Ordered yesterday, will be here tomorrow.  Gotta love LaRue's service.  This should be a handy little light that I can easily transfer between SBRs and maybe my RECCE style 5.56.

Now, I may need a more substantial light rig for my 7.62 PredatOBR.  This rifle is used mainly for ringing steel way, way off but I plan on killing some critters and Hogs with it in the future so a good light would be beneficial for night hunts.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top