Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2014 8:12:38 AM EDT
I started my first eForm submission last night and although I haven't gotten to the payment step I was thinking about it. Are most folks using a personal credit card to pay the $200 tax? I do not have a debit or credit card in my trust's name. My paper form 1 tax was paid with a check in my trust's name.

I'm not concerned so much with "what works" but what is right. I'm no attorney but I don't get warm and fuzzy blending personal and trust business.

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 8:21:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I've done like 6 on my personal card, it doesn't matter who pays the stamp, could be a dealer, the transferror, transferee, manufacturer, etc. of course i am not a lawyer.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 8:38:42 AM EDT
[#2]
The government doesn't care where the funds come from, and you are acting in your capacity as Trustor/Grantor/Trustee/etc... on behalf of the trust when completing, signing, and paying the tax...
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 12:15:53 PM EDT
[#3]
if you don't like blending personal with gov't business you could always open a bank account in your trusts' name.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 12:56:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
if you don't like blending personal with gov't business you could always open a bank account in your trusts' name.
View Quote

I do have an account in the trust's name but no debit/credit card.

Unless eForm accepts a check or electronic transfer I may have to use a personal card. I just wanted to see if anybody had gone through the same thought process.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 1:27:32 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Unless eForm accepts a check or electronic transfer I may have to use a personal card. I just wanted to see if anybody had gone through the same thought process.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

eForms only accepts payment by credit card, and your payment is actually through pay.gov which is the government's electronic method of accepting payments for various agencies.  Paying with a credit card would be no different than you adding $200 to your trusts bank account and then sending a check from it.

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 1:32:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I opened an account for my trust with USAA, they sent me checks and a card, i used my trust's card to pay my form 1. My best friend used his personal CC. We both got approved, no problems.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 8:57:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Pay with your own card, no big deal.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:01:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I opened an account for my trust with USAA, they sent me checks and a card, i used my trust's card to pay my form 1. My best friend used his personal CC. We both got approved, no problems.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They didn't send me a card!!!!  Then again USAA has been sucking lately the past few years

The BATFE does not care who pays the $200.  It could be you, the dealer, your trust account, Aunt Peg, Bert and Ernie, or Heisenberg.....as long as the money deposits, they're good with it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 7:55:07 AM EDT
[#9]
I appreciate the insight and apologize for being the resident worrier.

I submitted last night. I needed further review as my model was not listed for the manufacturer. This morning I've moved to in "in process." Here's to hoping for approval in 30 days or less!
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 2:35:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I started my first eForm submission last night and although I haven't gotten to the payment step I was thinking about it. Are most folks using a personal credit card to pay the $200 tax? I do not have a debit or credit card in my trust's name. My paper form 1 tax was paid with a check in my trust's name.

I'm not concerned so much with "what works" but what is right. I'm no attorney but I don't get warm and fuzzy blending personal and trust business.

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.
View Quote

I asked BigWaylon this and he said just use my personal CC.  I did and they've all been approved.  If BW doesn't know the answer to an eForm question, it's a stupid question with no answer.  

But seriously, the gov doesn't give two shits who pays the fee.  There isn't a commingling of funds issue here, your good to go.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 11:53:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Pay with your own card, no big deal.
View Quote

x2!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top