Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2014 2:48:56 PM EDT
So, I read the FAQ section regarding the ATF forms.

Question on what route to go. If I have a stripped lower then I need to send it off to have it stamped? So I can fill out the ATF form?

If I buy a complete SBR then I just need to fill out the form right? So let's say I find one on GB or EE, I buy it, I have it shipped to my Class 3 dealer then I fill out the forms and wait, right?

If I go with the lower right, stamped then atf form then wait then sbr upper? If I do that then I have to list length of weapon on the form right. So I have to keep it that specific lenght when I go to buy a upper?

Last question (for now), what exactly is stamped on the lower?

Thanks in advance. Just started wanting a SBR after seeing a few. Didn't realize the steps that is needed to do one.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 3:13:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Cross poster
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 3:54:08 PM EDT
[#2]
If you buy a factory SBR online you will have to file a Form 3 to transfer it to your local dealer, that will likely take 4-6 weeks.  Then you will file the Form 4 once the Form 3 has been approved.  If you want to make your own with a lower you already have, the easiest way is if you have a trust.  Go online and efile your Form 1 and get it back in a month or so.  The upper is supposed to be built initially to the specifications on the Form 1, but after that you can change it to whatever length or caliber you want.  Are you going to use a trust or file as an individual? The engraving of the lower can be done at any time during the process, either before or after approval.  

the engraving should be:

Individual/Trust name
City, state

John Doe or XXXX Trust
Dallas, TX
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 5:01:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you buy a factory SBR online you will have to file a Form 3 to transfer it to your local dealer, that will likely take 4-6 weeks.  Then you will file the Form 4 once the Form 3 has been approved.  If you want to make your own with a lower you already have, the easiest way is if you have a trust.  Go online and efile your Form 1 and get it back in a month or so.  The upper is supposed to be built initially to the specifications on the Form 1, but after that you can change it to whatever length or caliber you want.  Are you going to use a trust or file as an individual? The engraving of the lower can be done at any time during the process, either before or after approval.  

the engraving should be:

Individual/Trust name
City, state

John Doe or XXXX Trust
Dallas, TX
View Quote

Damn. That's a whole lota forms to buy one complete.

If I did the lower I thought I would just file as an individual. That would the cheapest route would it not? The trust is faster and not as much forms/pictures/sheriff dept  sign off ?
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 5:29:53 PM EDT
[#4]
To do your lower as an "individual" you will need the Form 1, along with finger prints/passport style photos/ chief LEO signoff, and a "compliance" form, and 200 bucks. Send all that in and wait. While you are waiting you can build your sbr AS A PISTOL, if you want to be able to shoot it while you wait for the stamp.  Some people wait for the stamp before engraving your info, and others do it before receiving the stamp. I do mine before the stamp, but that's just me. You would engrave  your name/city/state as the "maker" of the title II firearm.
Edit:  as a pistol means no stock.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 5:32:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

To do your lower as an "individual" you will need the Form 1, along with finger prints/passport style photos/ chief LEO signoff, and a "compliance" form, and 200 bucks. Send all that in and wait. While you are waiting you can build your sbr AS A PISTOL, if you want to be able to shoot it while you wait for the stamp.  Some people wait for the stamp before engraving your info, and others do it before receiving the stamp. I do mine before the stamp, but that's just me. You would engrave  your name/city/state as the "maker" of the title II firearm.
View Quote
I used to get mine engraved before as well, but with the current eForms processing times, I'm now three behind...

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 6:20:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Edit:  as a pistol means no stock.
View Quote

What's the big benefit of doing a trust? Just faster? or does it also mean the weapon can be transferred to a family member listed under the trust in case of death etc?
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 6:21:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Let's say also I get crazy and want to go supressed. I can do it all the same time? form wise anyway
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 6:39:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Let's say also I get crazy and want to go supressed. I can do it all the same time? form wise anyway
View Quote

First of all...that's not crazy. That's completely normal.

You can do it at the same time, but the same rules apply.

Form 1 if you want to build your own. Form 4 if you plan on buying one, with a Form 3 first if it has to be transferred from out of state.

The only way around any of that is if you buy an integrally suppressed upper/rifle, where the barrel ends up being >16". That lets you get by with one form and one $200 stamp.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 6:51:11 PM EDT
[#9]
That helps.

So form 3 is for all out of state NFA transfers.. Got it. Form 3 has no cost then. just the initial form 1 for the tax stamp for each . So the suppressor doesn't have to be registered with a specific firearm it is a stand alone .. Didn't realize that.

So the trust makes these easier?

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 6:51:47 PM EDT
[#10]
The only way around a Form 3 is to buy the SBR from your local dealer or at least one in your state that you can go pick it up in person.  Otherwise it will have to be transferred from one dealer to another.

Trust allows more than just yourself to be in possession of the items, parents, spouse, brother, kids etc. If you do it as an individual, you will have to be present for anyone else to use it.  Trust also bypasses getting CLEO permission and photos and fingerprints.  Individuals cannot use eforms right now either.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 7:28:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Buying a SBR or Silencer ---> Find Product You Want ---> Buy From A Dealer

1) In State Dealer With Product In Stock ---> Paper (No EForms Right Now) Form 4 (Dealer To You) ---> Wait 6-9 Months ---> Enjoy NFA Item

2) Out Of State Dealer ---> Form 3 (Dealer to Dealer) ---> Wait 4-6 Weeks ---> Paper Form 4 (Dealer To You) ---> Wait 6-9 Months ---> Enjoy NFA Item

Making SBR ---> Buy Title 1 ("Normal") Firearm ---> File Form 1 (Paper or EForm (Trust or Corporation Only))  ---> Wait 2 Weeks to Six Months ---> Engrave Firearm With Maker (You or The Trust/Corp) ---> Assemble Parts Into SBR ---> Enjoy Life With A Rifle Barrel Less Than 16"

I hope I got that right...
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 2:36:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 4:30:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If you buy a factory SBR online you will have to file a Form 3 to transfer it to your local dealer, that will likely take 4-6 weeks......
View Quote

Uh, no. YOU (the buyer) don't do jack with a Form 3.
The selling dealer fills it out and when approved he ships the firearm to your dealer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top