Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2014 12:59:31 PM EDT
My first form 1 is currently pending approval and I was wondering if you can file the 5320.20 for transport over state lines before the stamp is approved.

I would like to take this rifle to Texas for an event and I am hoping the stamp should be approved in time but I do not know if I will have time to get both forms

approved before the event.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 1:57:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
...and I was wondering if you can file the 5320.20 for transport over state lines before the stamp is approved.
View Quote

I doubt it. firearm won't be in the registry for them to compare owner and serial number.

You can fax the 5320.20, though. I got my last one back in about a week. Faxed on a Fri, approved the next Wed, in my mailbox on Sat.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 3:16:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I doubt it. firearm won't be in the registry for them to compare owner and serial number.

You can fax the 5320.20, though. I got my last one back in about a week. Faxed on a Fri, approved the next Wed, in my mailbox on Sat.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
...and I was wondering if you can file the 5320.20 for transport over state lines before the stamp is approved.

Thanks for the help. I know i am just being impatient which is not a good thing when it comes to NFA.

I will sit on my hands till the stamp comes through. It is good to hear you got it back that quick.

I had been reading that it can take a lot longer than that.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:15:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I sent a 5320 for a permanent change of address for a suppressor when my dealer called and said he had the stamp in hand. This was because I was in another state doing a military thing and wasn't allowed to change residence. I wanted the form to be approved before I went to picke it up. I recieved a call from the ATF stating the suppressor wasn't even approved yet. They ended up calling the dealer and figuring out that they had approved it and sent the stamp without their records showing.

So something in ther system flagged that it wasn't approved yet.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:15:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I had been reading that it can take a lot longer than that.
View Quote

That was mid-July (faxed 18th, approved 23rd, received in mail 26th).

I faxed some additional forms on 8/14, so I'll see if they come back as quick.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:58:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I FAXed one in late July immediately after I received the approved Form 1 and still haven't gotten it back. Unfortunately, the dates I "needed" it for have come and gone.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:01:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I FAXed one in late July immediately after I received the approved Form 1 and still haven't gotten it back. Unfortunately, the dates I "needed" it for have come and gone.
View Quote

Interesting.

The examiner that approved mine a couple weeks ago is the same one that has approved all of my previous paper forms. I guess some of them get these handled faster than others.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:05:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Interesting.

The examiner that approved mine a couple weeks ago is the same one that has approved all of my previous paper forms. I guess some of them get these handled faster than others.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Interesting.

Yeah, life goes on. I'll definitely be ready for next year.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:38:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I have done it a couple of times. I faxed them in with a cover letter saying the firearm had not been made yet. I got the first one sent back in the same envelope as the stamped form 1 with the same approval date. The second time it was months later, but 5320.20s were being approved unusually slowly at the time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top