Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/18/2014 7:56:27 PM EDT
I will be relocating out of the country for work and will probably be gone a few years. My SBR's are on a trust in Texas. Realistically I will remain the only person on the trust, parents have passed away and I don't have any relatives.

What do you guys usually do with your NFA if you're going to be out of the country for a long time?

Z
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 8:00:41 PM EDT
[#1]
In for an answer, even though I ain't leaving Texas long enough to ever need one.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 8:06:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Got a shovel?
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 8:07:26 PM EDT
[#3]
In for the answers as well. Can you take the reciever and stick it in a safe deposit box? I'm sure the bank would freak out.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 8:07:28 PM EDT
[#4]
put the receivers in a safe deposit box. That was what I was planning on doing if the army had moved me to a state behind enemy lines
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 8:08:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In for the answers as well. Can you take the reciever and stick it in a safe deposit box? I'm sure the bank would freak out.
View Quote

Bring them to the bank in a brief case or a back pack or something.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 8:12:30 PM EDT
[#6]
First option is to keep them stored in a safe (to which only you have the combo) at a friend's or family member's home. The second option is to put them in a safe deposit box. The first option is the best, IF you have a trustworthy reliable friend or relative. I had to do this for about 15 months while living temporarily outside the US (in Commiefornia). You should store your original forms either with the firearms, or separately in a safe deposit box. Make sure you buy a very good safe (TL30 or TL30x6) if we are talking about transferable MGs. And fully insure your items.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 9:24:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Do you have a friend you truly trust not to rob you? If so add them as a trustee and let them hold the items.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 9:38:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I will be relocating out of the country for work and will probably be gone a few years. My SBR's are on a trust in Texas. Realistically I will remain the only person on the trust, parents have passed away and I don't have any relatives.

What do you guys usually do with your NFA if you're going to be out of the country for a long time?

Z
View Quote

You may want to check because your trust might not even be valid at this point with you being the only person listed on it.  

Second....rent a safe deposit box and drop your items in there.  It won't be cheap for one or two larger ones, but better then getting rid of them.  Worst case, add a trustworthy member (pun intended) to the trust and have them hold your firearms.

Link Posted: 8/18/2014 11:17:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Buy a cheap homak locking cabinet or just some hardside gun cases with padlocks, and stick 'em in there, and leave them with a non-sleazy friend.  Perfectly ok to store with someone else if they're in a locked container to which "else" doesn't have the key, and "else" agrees to let you keep 'em there.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 11:54:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Safe deposit box and pay in advance for a few years just to prevent an oops
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:17:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You may want to check because your trust might not even be valid at this point with you being the only person listed on it.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Z

Could just be terminology..Im the only Trustee on mine,,but i have 3 beneficiaries.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:09:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Could just be terminology..Im the only Trustee on mine,,but i have 3 beneficiaries.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Z

3 beneficiaries or 3 successor trustees?  
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:31:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Z

Beneficiaries..once im gone,,they get it all and trust is dissolved, its family and they arent interested in firearms, let alone Class 3.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 8:35:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Safe deposit box for long term storage is best for a number of reasons. A trusted friend can still be robbed or have his place destroyed by fire or flood, any case puts your guns at great risk. He may get divorced, decide to move or sell the house while in charge of your guns, any of which present some logistical difficulties for you.

A bank is insured and about as safe as it gets.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:30:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Zen - hope this works out, you have some amazing stuff.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:41:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Uhm no..your money in an account is safe, up to 100k combined of all accounts not a safety deposit box.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:51:35 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Do you have a friend you truly trust not to rob you? If so add them as a trustee and let them hold the items.
View Quote
This is what I would do.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:01:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Uhm no..your money in an account is safe, up to 100k combined of all accounts not a safety deposit box.
View Quote

$250k now.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:05:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

$250k now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$250k now.

thought they dropped it back down
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:25:20 AM EDT
[#20]

Safety deposit boxes are not covered under any FDIC insurance, nor are they covered under the bank's insurance if there were any theft, flood, fire ETC.  If anything was to happen, you may have recourse against the bank if you can prove negligence on their part, however you will then have to prove what you had in the box.   Always read the fine print on the box contract.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:26:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1.  A bank is almost certain to have its own insurance, separate from FDIC, though it may or may not cover the contents of a safe deposit box against fire, theft, etc.

2.  Even without insurance covering contents of a safe deposit box, it's still about as safe a storage location as it gets.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:47:03 AM EDT
[#22]
You should already have additional insurance on high end firearms (ie...NFA items).
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 2:52:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Is the country you're relocating to anti-gun?  Some places aren't and there is a form for import/export.  I'd go with the bank route personally.   Maybe find a dealer/smith that will hold them for a fee.  Do any ranges have lockers for member storage of firearms?
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:24:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Yikes.

If you have a safe, you could always re-locate it to a self-storage locker, preferably indoors and air conditioned with solid security.  Pay in-advance for a year or two and insure your stuff through one of those collectible firearms agencies.

But no question, that won't be cheap.

Naturally, the easiest thing to do would be to add a friend or relative that you trust to your trust and leave the firearms with them.  Then insure them to cover all contingencies, or at least most of them.  But if you don't have relatives, you'd have to rely on a friend that you trust implicitly.  Do you know such a person?

Safe deposit box might work, but I don't know.  AFAIK, you can't put a firearm in a safe deposit box, at least according to the rules.  Yeah, yeah what they don't know and all that...

Still, try getting an insurance claim or something from them for a prohibited item, especially since technically the boxes aren't insured.

Can you give us more information on the type of firearms and how many?  That might give us some ideas on storage possibilities, etc.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:28:29 PM EDT
[#25]
What about amending your trust to change the beneficiaries to co trustees  and then adding some new beneficiaries. That way they (the current beneficiaries) could have and use them while you are gone. I don't know just thinking out loud.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 6:08:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Most secure method would be safe deposit box.

Cheapest method is a friend.

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 6:17:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Most secure method would be safe deposit box.

Cheapest method is a friend.
View Quote

Most secure is  safe deposit box.....Yepper
Cheapest is a friend ........................maybe, depends on the amount of damage/ loss that could/will occur.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 7:56:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Get a hard locking case and store them with a friend rent out a small storage locker. When you return the guns will be there waiting for you :)
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 7:58:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
You should already have additional insurance on high end firearms (ie...NFA items).
View Quote

Depends on the NFA items, no need to for most SBRs or suppressors but needed for machine guns.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 2:14:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Depends on the NFA items, no need to for most SBRs or suppressors but needed for machine guns.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SBRs don't come cheap. It's easy to have $2,500+ per AR-15.

OP, what about a self storage facility? Might be the cheapest way to go for the amount of square footage.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 3:00:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Put me on the trust. I'll take good care of them I promise. Lol they'll feel right at home with the shit in my safe.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:03:01 AM EDT
[#32]
If you have a friend with a safe, buy one of those very small locking boxes, the kind the girl scouts use for cash (or a slightly better sentry or something). The key is small, just big enough for your receivers, and then put that safe inside your friends large fire safe. This keeps your receivers out of their "control" but still keeps them moderately secure and still allows your friend use of their safe.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:43:07 PM EDT
[#33]
My attorney told me I could not be the only one one the trust. I had to bring someone in.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:46:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
My attorney told me I could not be the only one one the trust. I had to bring someone in.
View Quote

You can in fact be the only one on the trust with ACCESS to the trust assets.  But, there must be at least one beneficiary to the trust, even if they are not a co-trustee.  They don't have to be named, specifically - for instance, your trust beneficiaries can be "your children by birth or adoption", or other relationship descriptions, and can therefore include persons not yet even born.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 11:44:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Put 16 inch uppers on them, leave them with a friend, store the short uppers.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 12:35:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Put me on the trust. I'll take good care of them I promise. Lol they'll feel right at home with the shit in my safe.
View Quote

I volunteer as well. Seems like you need someone else on the trust anyway, might as well kill two birds with one stone.

In all seriousness though I would probably go with a safe deposit box if they are just lowers and small things. If you have some big stuff that are machine guns I would probably put a safe in a climate controlled storage locker. I would move in during the least busy time and I would bury that sucker in boxes of junk. Since you're leaving you probably have boxes of stuff that needs to be put in storage anyway. If you bury the safe in boxes no one will know it's there and even if they know it's there now they have a bunch of boxes to move.

Link Posted: 8/23/2014 1:28:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Zen - hope this works out, you have some amazing stuff.
View Quote

Thanks for the responses all. I called the ATF this week and all that needs to be done is basically to keep them in a safe that only I have the combination for. No problem to leave the safe or locked container at a relative or friends place.

Z

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top