Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2014 8:59:32 AM EDT
OK, I've been out of the scene for... 7 years now, just spent some time browsing this forum, but have only confused myself more.  Can anyone recommend a thread - or contribute to this one - with information on the latest recommendations for extractor springs,
buffers, etc. for different barrel lengths, plus the best curent sources for such parts?  I'm especially interested in 10.5 inch setups, but really curious what's been working for the longer ones as well.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 11:17:29 AM EDT
[#1]
If I had to pick a nominal configuration for 10.3-10.5" unsuppressed I would say standard spring, H2 buffer.  Most Army CQBRs run that configuration (since that is standard in the M4A1 host lower).  I have heard of some armorers going to H3s in order to get a gun to run right, but that is rare IME.

It is also a function of ammo and gas port size.  For example, DD Mk18 barrels have larger gas ports and I run a Springco Blue/H3/M855 with good results in mine.

14.5" is as long as I go and the same applies:  standard (Sprinco white) or Sprinco blue with at least an H; H2 preferred.

As for extractor springs, I run whatever came in the bolt until I change them out.  I am currently using BCM's SOPMOD Bolt Upgrade/Rebuild Kit for replacement parts.

I plan to try Springco's 5 coil extractor springs sometime in the future (when I run out of BCM kits).
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 11:28:11 AM EDT
[#2]
10.5": H2 buffer, Crane O-ring and blue spring insert on the extractor, regular M4 spring.  That's pretty much a winning combo for most 10.5" rifles.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 2:32:55 PM EDT
[#3]
My 11" setup is using a regular carbine buffer spring and H2 buffer and also using the BCM extractor upgrade kit.  It usually gets shot suppressed so it has an adjustable gas block too.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 3:13:51 PM EDT
[#4]
11.5:
Unsuppressed it was great with a ST-T2 buffer using all kinds of ammo - from Tula to Mk262.

When I got my can it slowed the cycling down a bit when I used weak ammo, so I switched to a carbine buffer and it runs great now.

Action spring is a standard carbine spring (colt).

12:
Runs great with the standard carbine buffer and spring. This isn't going to be suppressed (IDF clone).
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 6:57:12 AM EDT
[#5]
With a properly done gas port I think the H buffer is good to go for most all configs.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 3:55:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Vltor A5 is always the correct answer.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 8:22:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
11.5:
Unsuppressed it was great with a ST-T2 buffer using all kinds of ammo - from Tula to Mk262.

When I got my can it slowed the cycling down a bit when I used weak ammo, so I switched to a carbine buffer and it runs great now.

Action spring is a standard carbine spring (colt).

12:
Runs great with the standard carbine buffer and spring. This isn't going to be suppressed (IDF clone).
View Quote

Shouldn't that be the opposite way?  A suppressor increases back pressure making the gun over-gassed.  Therefore, you should have to go up on your buffer weight not down right?
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 2:00:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top