Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2014 4:38:34 PM EDT
Who here has a bcm 11.5" upper?  I just got mine, going to the range this weekend and need some ammo advice. It is a CHF 1/7 twist

What ammo does yours like? What accuracy should I expect. Will be shooting out to 100 with it
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 4:54:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I would bring a good assortment of ammo you actually use and see what runs best...everything should run in it but if not, now you'll know.

For the most part every upper can be unique and picky (this is just more noticeable with .22lr and low power .223).

Bring a variety and tell us what yours likes.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 4:58:32 PM EDT
[#2]
This is my new noveske 11.5" with Winchester 55grain Silvertip. The top three were .138" at centerpoint. While the bottom group of six shots were .428". This was at 100yards using a Swfa 1-4
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 5:38:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is my new noveske 11.5" with Winchester 55grain Silvertip. The top three were .138" at centerpoint. While the bottom group of six shots were .428". This was at 100yards using a Swfa 1-4
http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w424/cfaulkner0006/IMAG0924.jpg
View Quote

Holy smokes man. I couldn't produce a group like that at 25m!
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 6:08:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't write off a good 11.5". They are no less accurate than a 16". Just a lower velocity so shorter range. BCM, Daniel defense, and most of the big makers will surprise you with the accuracy their short barrels are capable of.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 8:09:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought two of the same uppers, one CHF, and the other is lightweight.

Both are mounted on identical lower setups. Can't wait to try them out this week.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 10:02:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I just got my 11.5 BCM a couple weeks ago. Absolutely love it!!

It chewed everything I gave it with no issues. (Federal 5.56 & .223, Winchester, Prvi, Wolf Gold & WOLF WPA)  I even said what the hell and dumped a mag of Tula I had laying around, no issues at all. So to say none the less you will not regret your purchase.

Have Fun!
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 11:09:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Something is up with the lightweight upper I got today. The lugs of the bolt are binding on the feed ramps/barrel extension. I can hold the tail end of the carrier, and hold the entire upper vertically and it won't come out.

The CHF upper works doesn't have this issue.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 11:35:58 PM EDT
[#8]
What buffer are you guys running in  the 11.5" - H or H2?
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 3:59:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

H2 for me, eats everything I feed it suppressed and unsuppressed alike.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 10:46:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Something is up with the lightweight upper I got today. The lugs of the bolt are binding on the feed ramps/barrel extension. I can hold the tail end of the carrier, and hold the entire upper vertically and it won't come out.

The CHF upper works doesn't have this issue.
View Quote

Contact BCM customer service and they will take care of you if there is an issue.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 11:12:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

H2, works both suppressed and non.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 11:16:04 AM EDT
[#12]
A5 system with A5 H2 buffer currently.  I'm going to try out an A5 H3 and see what happens.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 11:53:36 AM EDT
[#13]
I have my 11.5" on a pistol lower with a phase 5 buffer tube assembly. I don't know what weight buffer it came with but is it best to use the heaviest buffer that reliably operates the weapon? I am shooting it this Friday and don't know do short barreled uppers recoil more violently or less violently ?
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 12:38:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have my 11.5" on a pistol lower with a phase 5 buffer tube assembly. I don't know what weight buffer it came with but is it best to use the heaviest buffer that reliably operates the weapon? I am shooting it this Friday and don't know do short barreled uppers recoil more violently or less violently ?
View Quote

There could be several factors that influence that. I work on balance to a little barrel heavy with sbr. Wont change much in 5.56 in my experience. The heavy buffer will help also to slow reciprocal mass. Really not much of a factor.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 3:16:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
A5 system with A5 H2 buffer currently.  I'm going to try out an A5 H2 and see what happens.
View Quote

I'm guessing not much will change...

Seriously though, do you shoot suppressed/unsuppressed and how do you like the A5 for that?
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 7:47:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A5 system with A5 H2 buffer currently.  I'm going to try out an A5 H3 and see what happens.

LOL  Stupid typo!!  Thanks for bringing that to my attention.  It's been corrected.

Seriously though, do you shoot suppressed/unsuppressed and how do you like the A5 for that?

So far only unsuppressed, but I have a Saker 556 locked in a safe somewhere waiting for the magical stamp to come back.  After I take possession I'm speculating that this gun will be shot suppressed around half the time.  

I like the A5 system and I was using this lower with a 16" middy upper before I SBR'd it.  I have a BattleComp 2.0 on the 16" upper and now with the short upper and flash hider there is a very noticeable difference in the recoil impulse so I'm going to try out the A5H3 buffer to see if it softens it up any.  It's not unbearable by any means, but smoother is better IMO so we'll see what happens.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 3:40:32 PM EDT
[#17]
My 11.5" ran flawlessly with a spike t3 buffer this weekend shooting pm bronze and pm xtac.

Does this sound normal to you guys?  I was expecting to have to drop down I an h2 weight buffer at the very minimum

Going from carbine to h3 changed my ejection from 1oclock to 3-4 o'clock

Eta fwiw this is the ammo I buy most of but occasionally find myself buying Tula or other turd ammo
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:47:26 PM EDT
[#18]
This morning I went to my club range to see how the accuracy of my BCM 11.5" was doing.  I removed the 4X ACOG that normally is my optic of choice and installed a 10 X Leupold.  The lower left group was fired at 100 yards after zeroing the rifle with it's favorite handload, a nosler 55 grain BT with AR Comp.  The last round in that group was a called flyer to the upper right, but in still included in the measurements.  Top target 200 yards, small orange diamond was at 50 yards using the 200 hash within the ACOG, lowest targets were at 100 yards.  So a solid .808 MOA from a barrel with 50 rounds since cleaning and a logged 4,700 actual total rounds.  Seems like there is some life left.

Edit to add: all rounds fired suppressed with AAC SPR-M4

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 6:09:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Nice groups man!  What buffer weight does your bcm like?
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 8:19:23 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Nice groups man!  What buffer weight does your bcm like?
View Quote

With the AAC I use not only the Spikes H3, but also a Tubb CWS with the heavy weight!  Also a Tubb flatwire CS spring.  Runs very fast and very tame.  :)
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:47:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Wow!  That's a lot of mass
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top