Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2014 6:45:11 PM EDT
I know this has been talked about over and over, but I wanted to discuss this again .  And, I need some input.  I have been going back and forth on what length barrel to get for my SBR upper.  A little background first…

I will mostly be running this one suppressed
I have 2 SBR lowers and another on the way
I am having my SCAR16 cut down to 10.5"

I was debating between a 10.5 and a 12.5.  I really like the 10.5 suppressed, but the 12.5 gives me a little more velocity.  Or, I have access to a 13" barrel.  I could even go to 14.5" I guess??  The argument that is made against not going through the headache of SBR process for 1.5" doesn't really apply here since I already have the SBR lowers.  I really wish I could shoot them both to know, but I don't have access to both.  This particular upper will be Noveske and I plan on using the Govanah on it.

Any ideas?  Suggestions?

ETA:  I think what I'm asking, is the 13" barrel a good option to throw on an SBR lower?
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 12:16:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Check here for the latest discussion on your topic.

I say if you're going to go short, go short (10.3").

Others say go longer...since 14.5"/pinned doesn't cost you $200, I don't see the point in going short unless you're going all the way (10.3").

Choice is up to you.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 12:18:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 6:56:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Maybe I didn't explain it very well, but it's not going to cost me $200.  I already have a few SBR lowers.

I think I'm just trying to figure out if there is any downside to a 13" barrel with midlength gas system that I'm going to run suppressed.  Why do so many say they like the 12.5" length?
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 7:31:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Check here for the latest discussion on your topic.

I say if you're going to go short, go short (10.3").

Others say go longer...since 14.5"/pinned doesn't cost you $200, I don't see the point in going short unless you're going all the way (10.3").

Choice is up to you.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:40:08 AM EDT
[#5]
I decided to go ahead and get the 13".  I hope to try it out this weekend.  It has a midlength gas system so I'll compare it to my 10.3" upper.

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 2:37:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I decided to go ahead and get the 13".  I hope to try it out this weekend.  It has a midlength gas system so I'll compare it to my 10.3" upper.

View Quote

Had a chance to shoot the two side-by-side?  I have an SBR in 300 Blackout, but I'm thinking about doing another SBR in 5.56 and am torn about what barrel length to go with.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:11:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I wrote up an article about SBRs in 5.56, talks about different barrel lengths from 10-13", feel free to check it out:

http://fortheloveofthegun.wordpress.com/
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:52:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Had a chance to shoot the two side-by-side?  I have an SBR in 300 Blackout, but I'm thinking about doing another SBR in 5.56 and am torn about what barrel length to go with.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was hoping to before shoulder surgery, but unfortunately I won't be shooting either for a while
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:57:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I wrote up an article about SBRs in 5.56, talks about different barrel lengths from 10-13", feel free to check it out:

View Quote

Hey, that was a really good article.  If you don't mind, I would like to share that link.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:05:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Hey, that was a really good article.  If you don't mind, I would like to share that link.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go for it. There are hours and hours of additional reading linked in there too.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 10:48:04 AM EDT
[#11]
14.5? Why bother? My fav is 11.5.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 1:15:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Isn't m855 a 62gr bullet?
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 6:31:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
14.5? Why bother? My fav is 11.5.
View Quote

Why bother with what?  Wouldn't it be handier than a 16"?
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:29:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, you found my 1 typo after I proof read it like 8 times...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top