Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2014 9:44:27 PM EDT
I know, dumb question.  Need to list the model for my Trust.

I know the model is LE6920, but the guide that came with my trust said I put in "Model as listed on the weapon" which to me is worrying since "LE6920" doesn't appear anywhere on the lower.  The closest thing to "Model as listed on the weapon" is "M4 Carbine" (it's the new rollmark'd LE6920).

So, what do I put?  The actual model (but that's NOT listed on the weapon), or what happens to be listed on the weapon as the model (M4 Carbine)?
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 10:59:10 PM EDT
[#1]
The SBR application applies to the lower. For my 6940, if I were to enter it into a form, I would enter "M4 Carbine" because that's exactly what is forged into the receiver with serial #  rollmarked right below it.  I checked the eForm system and "M4 Carbine" is an accepted model name from the droplist (among many variations ).
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 11:08:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I put 6920 on mine as that's what the rifle was when I started the project and basically what it is when it's cut.  It's a shortened 6920.  I don't think you can go wrong with whatever.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 3:58:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I put 6920 on mine as that's what the rifle was when I started the project and basically what it is when it's cut.  It's a shortened 6920.  I don't think you can go wrong with whatever.
View Quote

Same here. Just 6920.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 4:44:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The SBR application applies to the lower. For my 6940, if I were to enter it into a form, I would enter "M4 Carbine" because that's exactly what is forged into the receiver with serial #  rollmarked right below it.  I checked the eForm system and "M4 Carbine" is an accepted model name from the droplist (among many variations ).
View Quote

The eForms drop down is made up of whatever users have put in the past. You'll find "MULTI" listed as a caliber option even though it's a guaranteed rejection.

I don't have any personal experience, but I would read what bwhited wrote in "Form 1 Returned" thread. (sorry can't link at the moment)
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 4:55:52 AM EDT
[#5]
It's interesting. When I did my 870 Police Magnum, one of the options in the drop down was 870POLICEMAGNUM. I decided that I wanted spaces in between the words, so I created my own model: "870 POLICE MAGNUM".

When I got to the end of the form, I received a warning message stating that since my model was not listed, additional research would be necessary, further delaying the process.  

I decided to go back and use 870POLICEMAGNUM. No warning message.

They make it seem like models found in the drop down are somehow pre-approved, but that is obviously not the case.

A perfect system? It is not.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:01:25 AM EDT
[#6]
So if I have an unassembled lower by an off manufacturer, what do I put?  The plan is a 10" upper that is currently on an AR pistol...

Thank you for any info you post.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:08:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So if I have an unassembled lower by an off manufacturer, what do I put?  The plan is a 10" upper that is currently on an AR pistol...

Thank you for any info you post.
View Quote

Got a link to the product page for the lower?

Email them. They have to have a model number that they report to the ATF along with the serial number.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:12:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Jumped the gun.

Thank you for reply.  Filling out hardcopy now.

Eform is not for indiv.  Reading is for idiots...like me.

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 7:37:19 AM EDT
[#9]
When I Form 1'd my Colt 6450, I asked a C3 dealer if I should put "6450" as the model - he said no, put "AR-15", which was approved. AR-15 is stamped on the 6450 lower tho
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 7:49:47 AM EDT
[#10]
I used "N4" for my stripped Noveske, so I would put either LE6920 or just 6920.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 7:51:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

No it applies to the firearm. The model can be listed on the BBL for example.

I would list "LE6920" as model.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 4:02:29 AM EDT
[#12]
I'd put LE6920 down in 4d-Colts website and box list the model as LE6920. I'm not an expert-just spent wasted a lot of time trying to figure this out when I efiled a form 1 to convert my "Colts Law Enforcement Carbine" marked lower to an SBR in december. I finally decided to put the marking from the lower as that seemed logical.

However, it wasn't listed in the dropdown box, so I selected the option with "6920LECarbine" (don't remember if "LE6920" was listed). It came out a few months after I submitted my form that the boxes can be filled with crap, but my form was approved May 18. With all the inconsistencies, It wouldn't surprise me if it's revealed one day that the approval procedure was drawn up by a witch doctor.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 7:46:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Just figured I'd add my 2¢...

I submitted an eForm 1 on 7/01/14 & recently (8/09/14) received my approval for an 8.5" .300 AAC BLK SBR on a Colt LE6921 (yes, it came from the factory as a 14.5" SBR, which I had the dealer de-register & perm. attach a Blackout 51T FH before shipping to my in-state FFL). I too wanted to use LE6921, but this is not engraved on the receiver. Technically, since Federal law requires the firearm to be engraved with the model, unless you ADD "LE6920" somewhere on the firearm, you HAVE to use "M4 Carbine" (in the case of the 6920). People seem to think if ATF approves it, they'll never be charged with a crime. Like how everyone seems to think that if ATF approves their $10, $30, $50 or $100 Trust that it means it's valid (ATF does NOT validate Trusts!!! An approved application is NOT proof of a valid Trust!!). ATF will approve a transfer to an LLC or Corp., but you lapse on the yearly fees & render it invalid, you also render the approvals VOID & subject yourself to unlawful possession.

It's quite simple, manufacturers use internal codes for lots of things. Colt uses the numbering system which honestly has nothing to do with ATF. It is their own internal code. I'm NOT saying that "LE6920" cannot be used as a model number when registering an M4 Carbine, I'm saying that you will unfortunately have to have "LE6920" engraved somewhere on the receiver if that is what you put in box 4d. ATF is approving you to manufacture a firearm. It is irrelevant to them & the examiner if you are building from scrap metal or an existing firearm (save for MGs). What matters is that ALL of the following from your Form 1 matches the firearm:

1) On the Frame or Receiver the Serial number;
2) on the frame, receiver, or barrel the following additional information;
  A)The model;
  B)The caliber or gauge;
  C)Your name or name of the Trust in the case of a Trust (no abbreviations are permitted for the Trust name);
  D)The city and state (you can abbreviate the state with the official 2 digit state code)

Think about it like this...

If you ever have to show your Form 1 to an ATF agent & it only says "LE6920" & the receiver ONLY says "M4 Carbine" (on the off chance that the agent doesn't know that LE6920 is the Colt code for an M4 Carbine, what's to stop them from making an arrest? Some may argue that having the original manufacturer's name, city, state, caliber & serial number are sufficient. But if so, then why do we have to specify a model to begin with? Then again, IANAL nor do I work for the Gov. Just taking the law in it's purest most literal form. The law requires a MODEL be specified & the ATF requires that MODEL be engraved on the receiver. Having a DIFFERENT model engraved than what is on your Form 1 may be considered no different than having a different serial number or caliber engraved than what is on your approved app. "I'm sorry, sir. You were approved for an LE6920, not an M4 Carbine.". Perhaps you could just have "LE6920" engraved on the SBR upper. This way you don't have to ship out your SBR lower (a shipping insurance claim won't cover the time you've waited).

Just my 2¢...

PS. I should add that because I submitted an app. for a .300 AAC BLK 8.5" & also selected "M4LE" from the drop down list, my app. required preliminary approval. This was because they had no record of an M4LE in this caliber. I sent an e-mail to Gary Schaible which simply stated that I was swapping the 14.5" 5.56mm upper for a Rainier Arms 8.5" .300 AAC BLK upper. Which was REALLY good since I (some-freaking-how) forgot to fill in the name, city, state, addy info. This was my 5th eForm 1 & didn't miss it the other times. I somehow mistakenly thought I saw everything get filled in automatically as the phone number was auto-filled. Mr. Schaible allowed me to e-mail him this info which he added to the eForm 1 for me & THEN submitted it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 8:59:01 AM EDT
[#14]

Do you know for a fact that all of your information is true? Couldn't there be a model name and model number, both of which are known to the ATF?

I'm not trying to bust your balls, but I'm curious when post include unverifiable absolutes like "you must" "has nothing to do with" etc.

Even if you are correct, I don't believe you can engrave the 6920 model number on your own. Are you changing or adding to the manufacturers model number? How does that work?

Even so, the serial numbers are unique: you have a manufacturer and a serial number. That combination should only appear on one firearm.

Quoted:

I submitted an eForm 1 on 7/01/14 & recently (8/09/14) received my approval for an 8.5" .300 AAC BLK SBR on a Colt LE6921 (yes, it came from the factory as a 14.5" SBR, which I had the dealer de-register & perm. attach a Blackout 51T FH before shipping to my in-state FFL). I too wanted to use LE6921, but this is not engraved on the receiver. Technically, since Federal law requires the firearm to be engraved with the model, unless you ADD "LE6920" somewhere on the firearm, you HAVE to use "M4 Carbine" (in the case of the 6920). People seem to think if ATF approves it, they'll never be charged with a crime. Like how everyone seems to think that if ATF approves their $10, $30, $50 or $100 Trust that it means it's valid (ATF does NOT validate Trusts!!! An approved application is NOT proof of a valid Trust!!). ATF will approve a transfer to an LLC or Corp., but you lapse on the yearly fees & render it invalid, you also render the approvals VOID & subject yourself to unlawful possession.

It's quite simple, manufacturers use internal codes for lots of things. Colt uses the numbering system which honestly has nothing to do with ATF. It is their own internal code. I'm NOT saying that "LE6920" cannot be used as a model number when registering an M4 Carbine, I'm saying that you will unfortunately have to have "LE6920" engraved somewhere on the receiver if that is what you put in box 4d. ATF is approving you to manufacture a firearm. It is irrelevant to them & the examiner if you are building from scrap metal or an existing firearm (save for MGs). What matters is that ALL of the following from your Form 1 matches the firearm:

A)The model;
  B)The caliber or gauge;
  C)Your name or name of the Trust in the case of a Trust (no abbreviations are permitted for the Trust name);
  D)The city and state (you can abbreviate the state with the official 2 digit state code)

If you ever have to show your Form 1 to an ATF agent & it only says "LE6920" & the receiver ONLY says "M4 Carbine" (on the off chance that the agent doesn't know that LE6920 is the Colt code for an M4 Carbine, what's to stop them from making an arrest? Some may argue that having the original manufacturer's name, city, state, caliber & serial number are sufficient. But if so, then why do we have to specify a model to begin with? Then again, IANAL nor do I work for the Gov. Just taking the law in it's purest most literal form. The law requires a MODEL be specified & the ATF requires that MODEL be engraved on the receiver. Having a DIFFERENT model engraved than what is on your Form 1 may be considered no different than having a different serial number or caliber engraved than what is on your approved app. "I'm sorry, sir. You were approved for an LE6920, not an M4 Carbine.". Perhaps you could just have "LE6920" engraved on the SBR upper. This way you don't have to ship out your SBR lower (a shipping insurance claim won't cover the time you've waited).

Just my 2¢...

PS. I should add that because I submitted an app. for a .300 AAC BLK 8.5" & also selected "M4LE" from the drop down list, my app. required preliminary approval. This was because they had no record of an M4LE in this caliber. I sent an e-mail to Gary Schaible which simply stated that I was swapping the 14.5" 5.56mm upper for a Rainier Arms 8.5" .300 AAC BLK upper. Which was REALLY good since I (some-freaking-how) forgot to fill in the name, city, state, addy info. This was my 5th eForm 1 & didn't miss it the other times. I somehow mistakenly thought I saw everything get filled in automatically as the phone number was auto-filled. Mr. Schaible allowed me to e-mail him this info which he added to the eForm 1 for me & THEN submitted it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/10/2014 12:38:40 PM EDT
[#15]
RealEveryDay-Did you engrave 300 blk caliber on your lower? Your interpretation is definitely the most logical, but I think there is a lot of gray area.

For example, Colt 6933 requires model to be listed as "Ar15" on a Form 4 despite not being engraved on the lower. There have been recent rejections when the actual model engraved on the lower (e.g. M4LE) is listed instead of "Ar15." How does colt manufacture 6933s without engraving "Ar15" on the lower? I haven't heard of any 6933 owners engraving "Ar15" on the lower to match their Form 4.

Quoted:

Do you know for a fact that all of your information is true? Couldn't there be a model name and model number, both of which are known to the ATF?

I'm not trying to bust your balls, but I'm curious when post include unverifiable absolutes like "you must" "has nothing to do with" etc.

Even if you are correct, I don't believe you can engrave the 6920 model number on your own. Are you changing or adding to the manufacturers model number? How does that work?

Even so, the serial numbers are unique: you have a manufacturer and a serial number. That combination should only appear on one firearm.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

A)The model;
  B)The caliber or gauge;

Just my 2¢...

Link Posted: 8/13/2014 4:31:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Form 1 approved yesterday with just 6920 as the model.

Is there a part of the SBR regulations that say the model number must match the roll mark on the gun?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top