BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 6:53:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

And good, quality match barrels are much more likely to have a concentric ID/OD.  Some profile between centers, concentric to the bore after drilling/rifling.

Some manufacturers buy a rifled blank, chuck on the OD with a 3-jaw, and crank them out. with only a live center on the muzzle end.

I got a Green Mountain .45cal barrel blank a while back, and when I chucked up a stub to turn up a sbr barrel the other day, the bore was WAY off center to the OD.
So I had to true it up between centers before threading and profiling.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Question -

If the bore is drilled off center inside the barrel and the threads are straight on the barrel, doesn't that mean that he will likely have baffle strikes even if it came out "appearing" perfect?

No, not if the barrel is threaded concentric to the ID of the bore, and not the OD of the barrel.  It will only appear perfect of threaded concentric to the OD of the barrel.

And good, quality match barrels are much more likely to have a concentric ID/OD.  Some profile between centers, concentric to the bore after drilling/rifling.

Some manufacturers buy a rifled blank, chuck on the OD with a 3-jaw, and crank them out. with only a live center on the muzzle end.

I got a Green Mountain .45cal barrel blank a while back, and when I chucked up a stub to turn up a sbr barrel the other day, the bore was WAY off center to the OD.

Drilling a completely straight hole 30" long is… challenging to put it mildly.

One of the shootingest guns I've ever seen had a barrel noticeably off center at the muzzle.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 6:56:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Or just throw your muzzle adapter of choice on this gun as-is and use it. Threads concentric to bore and plenty of meat left to torque it down. No worries about baffle strikes.

Not ADCO's fault, and Stag isn't going to replace a barrel for that reason. Just shoot it!
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 7:04:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Amazing how communication works
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 7:05:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

One of the shootingest guns I've ever seen had a barrel noticeably off center at the muzzle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Question -

If the bore is drilled off center inside the barrel and the threads are straight on the barrel, doesn't that mean that he will likely have baffle strikes even if it came out "appearing" perfect?

No, not if the barrel is threaded concentric to the ID of the bore, and not the OD of the barrel.  It will only appear perfect of threaded concentric to the OD of the barrel.

Oh I understand, and it's rarely an issue unless you plan on a suppressor or shoot longer ranges with a thin barrel.
Turning a barrel between centers when profiling would eliminate 90% of these issues though.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 7:32:16 AM EDT
[#5]
.......and now, for the rest of the story!    That explains a lot, knowing the whole story.   A couple things that cross my mind are.....I'm guessing the threads are of the correct pitch diameter, knowing Adco's reputation, so, I wouldn't hesitate to shoot the barrel with a flash suppressor of some sort screwed on.    Second thing is, I don't know if I'd use it with a sound suppressor screwed on, even if it didn't have the eccentric major diameter of the threads........what's a "silencer" supposed to register to without a square shoulder. (I use the term silencer to differentiate between a flash hider/suppressor and a sound suppressor)   For sure, you'd have to check very closely with a pin gage/rod to avoid baffle strikes.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 7:58:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 8:06:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If it were me, I would pull this post until I had given ADCO a chance to address the problem...
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 8:18:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You're not alone.  Their reputation is undeserved.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My personal experiences with ADCO were disappointing but they have an untouchable reputation here so I just figured I had a run of bad luck.

You're not alone.  Their reputation is undeserved.

I'm with you both.  I didn't get past asking an initial question which was answered with a smug, snide, and contemptuous remark; a remark they later edited from my thread.  That was enough for me.

Hopefully things work out for you OP.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 8:59:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Adco is working with me on this one guys.
View Quote

Thanks for the update post.

Would you be so kind as to put the same information in your original post?
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 9:12:59 AM EDT
[#10]
All of this has reminded me

When I had my 20x102 threaded for a muzzle brake, it looks like they knocked the tops of the threads off, but in retrospect it might just have been the OD wasn't enough to thread to a point.

Question: Is there a reason you would want to not have the threads taper to a point, but have flats? Very much like that offcenter side on that 300blk barrel.

J
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 10:10:40 AM EDT
[#11]
ADCO seems like a stand up business.  Most companies would say your barrel was shit and not their fault.  Seems they are being as helpful as possible given the situation.  

Hope it works out for you OP.  

ADCO will get first look for me if I ever need this kind of service.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 10:16:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Kinda wished the OP would have posted both sides first as it would have been very apparent there was a issue with the barrel and not just the threads.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 10:47:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Kinda wished the OP would have posted both sides first as it would have been very apparent there was a issue with the barrel and not just the threads.
View Quote

Yeah or waited a day to get a response, but that's how most folks get their gratification these days.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 10:48:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yeah or waited a day to get a response, but that's how most folks get their gratification these days.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So much truth there.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 10:49:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If it were me, I would pull this post until I had given ADCO a chance to address the problem...
View Quote

I'm all for giving companies a chance to make it right...especially ones that support this site...but an give someone 5 minutes of instruction on a lathe and auto feed and they'd know those threads are NOT cut nearly far enough.  If ADCO QC is slipping, I'd want to know....even though ADCO will make it right...
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 10:49:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Glad they gave an explanation at least.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 10:55:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'm all for giving companies a chance to make it right...especially ones that support this site...but an give someone 5 minutes of instruction on a lathe and auto feed and they'd know those threads are NOT cut nearly far enough.  If ADCO QC is slipping, I'd want to know....even though ADCO will make it right...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are cut far enough, they were just starting with an OD that was eccentric to the bore.  
Cutting a 5/8x24 thread on a 5/8" eccentric surface (grenade cut).
You can't add material on a lathe.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 11:01:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

They are cut far enough, they were just starting with an OD that was eccentric to the bore.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then turning the OD and cutting 1/2x28 threads would have been a better option (depending on the suppressor OP plans on using...and if a 1/2x28 mount is available in .30 cal ... ie....AAC has them for FAL's).  Looks like ADCO acknowledged there was an issue and a mistake was made in shipping the product, but I'd still be pretty surprised if that showed up at my door.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 11:45:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 12:01:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

This is the point everyone keeps missing, and no one seems to realize there is no way to check the alignment of the bore  4" down the tube until after the work is done.  With the new title of this thread, people are getting the impression we knew ahead of time it was bad, but did the work anyhow.  Which is not the case.  Sure turning it to 1/2 in this situation would have been better, if we knew the barrel was out of spec. How happy would the customer have been if we told him he owed us and additional $100 because his barrel was defective?  I'd be willing to bet, there would be a thread posted here titled "adco messed up my barrel, and now  wants another $100 to fix it"  Looking back this was a losing situation no matter what on our end. The customer supplied a defective product from STAG.
ADCO did exactly what we were supposed to do with a defective barrel. From a business standpoint, this is STAGs problem. STAG owes the customer a new barrel, and STAG owes ADCO for the machine work. From a customer service standpoint, the funds to take care of this are coming out of my pocket. The cost of doing business.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the point everyone keeps missing, and no one seems to realize there is no way to check the alignment of the bore  4" down the tube until after the work is done.  With the new title of this thread, people are getting the impression we knew ahead of time it was bad, but did the work anyhow.  Which is not the case.  Sure turning it to 1/2 in this situation would have been better, if we knew the barrel was out of spec. How happy would the customer have been if we told him he owed us and additional $100 because his barrel was defective?  I'd be willing to bet, there would be a thread posted here titled "adco messed up my barrel, and now  wants another $100 to fix it"  Looking back this was a losing situation no matter what on our end. The customer supplied a defective product from STAG.
ADCO did exactly what we were supposed to do with a defective barrel. From a business standpoint, this is STAGs problem. STAG owes the customer a new barrel, and STAG owes ADCO for the machine work. From a customer service standpoint, the funds to take care of this are coming out of my pocket. The cost of doing business.  

I understand the issue....and understand that it was an honest mistake that you guys shipped it back without notifying the customer.  Those 5/8x24 threads can still be turned down and rethreaded to 1/2x28...saving the barrel.  I'm sure the current threads would be fine for a flash hider, but I wouldn't bet a tax stamp on it if I had plans on mounting a suppressor.  Moot point now since the customer has the barrel back, and STAG likely won't touch it since someone else worked on it.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 12:07:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Have a mod move this to Stag's forum.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 12:16:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'm sure the current threads would be fine for a flash hider, but I wouldn't bet a tax stamp on it if I had plans on mounting a suppressor.  Moot point now since the customer has the barrel back, and STAG likely won't touch it since someone else worked on it.
View Quote

I would torque a mount on, sight it down the bore through a can and shoot it.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 12:40:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm sure the current threads would be fine for a flash hider, but I wouldn't bet a tax stamp on it if I had plans on mounting a suppressor.  Moot point now since the customer has the barrel back, and STAG likely won't touch it since someone else worked on it.

It would more than likely be fine...but the forces applied to the baffles aren't insignificant.  Having proper thread on only 180* of the barrel and only about half the spec thread height on the other 180* could lead to a issues down the road.  I personally wouldn't risk it...but you're the engineer dude...   I'm just an semi-amateur hobby machinist....
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 1:03:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It would more than likely be fine...but the applied to the baffles aren't insignificant.  Having proper thread on only 180* of the barrel and only about half the spec thread height on the other 180* could lead to a issues down the road.  I personally wouldn't risk it...but you're the engineer dude...   I'm just an semi-amateur hobby machinist....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It would more than likely be fine...but the applied to the baffles aren't insignificant.  Having proper thread on only 180* of the barrel and only about half the spec thread height on the other 180* could lead to a issues down the road.  I personally wouldn't risk it...but you're the engineer dude...   I'm just an semi-amateur hobby machinist....

I agree, and I wouldn't do it on a .308, but we're talking .300blk,
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 1:12:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This gunsmith agrees with you.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 1:16:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Max pressure is only 7k PSI off from .300 BLK supers (55kish)  to .308 (62kish).  Subs...yeah that's nothing.  Anyone care to do the math to calculate the pressure at the muzzle for both cartridges?  

http://closefocusresearch.com/calculating-barrel-pressure-and-projectile-velocity-gun-systems
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 1:28:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Max pressure is one thing, pressure curve and gas volume is another.
.300 pressure drops off much earlier unless someone uses the wrong slow powder.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 2:02:38 PM EDT
[#28]
I try not to buy bad parts, the only reason I sent my barrel to adco is because of their reputation. I was shocked when I opened the box and saw it. I had no idea the barrel was out of spec. They did the right thing. I don't plan on using it suppressed. The barrel is a 6.8spc not a 300 bo. I had my first 6.8 dorms barrel cut and threaded wo problems and the have  out of spec parts.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 2:38:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Yes, but what they could should have done was explained that it was a bad idea, what the out come would be, and if performance is in any way compromised should have refused the job.

A professional should have warned the client of any obvious pitfalls, such as "the diameter of the barrel at that location is too small".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
ETA: those flats on top of the thread look to be parkerized/phosphatized , so was this threaded in the M4 cut. If it was, there was nothing they could do to increase that dimension, and you owe them an apology.

Yes, but what they could should have done was explained that it was a bad idea, what the out come would be, and if performance is in any way compromised should have refused the job.

A professional should have warned the client of any obvious pitfalls, such as "the diameter of the barrel at that location is too small".

^
 ^^
^^^^

This
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 2:46:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 2:54:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

the shoulder is square. The threads are the correct size.  As is, that barrel will securely, safely, properly secure the suppressor mount for attaching a suppressor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
..what's a "silencer" supposed to register to without a square shoulder.

the shoulder is square. The threads are the correct size.  As is, that barrel will securely, safely, properly secure the suppressor mount for attaching a suppressor.

Looking again, and looking at the pic that was later added that shows the other side of the threads I can see that now.  First pic doesn't show it all that clearly.......my bad.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 3:23:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

You didn't bother reading all the posts did you?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
ETA: those flats on top of the thread look to be parkerized/phosphatized , so was this threaded in the M4 cut. If it was, there was nothing they could do to increase that dimension, and you owe them an apology.

^
 ^^
^^^^

This

You didn't bother reading all the posts did you?  

Even if they did I still dont think they would get it.

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 6:34:23 PM EDT
[#33]
My take-away from this is that ADCO is awesome, they've had my work in the past and they'll get it in the future.

Also, the OP should contact people directly instead of complaining online immediately.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 8:12:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Would changing the threads to 9/16-24 be an option?

9/16-24 would still leave plenty of thickness for a .277 bore.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 2:22:46 PM EDT
[#35]
This is going to sound corny:

ADCO has done a reasonable amount of cutting, threading, and/or permanent mounting for me.  Everything they have done was flawless.  They have also stood behind other people's products that they have sold me.  In one case Steve shipped me a RRA replacement hammer ASAP when the one I had purchased failed.  I'm guessing that he made a special trip to the post office to get it to me when I needed it before a long three day weekend shoot.

I can only say nice things about ADCO.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:50:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 7:17:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Question -

View Quote

Yes.  He wouldn't likely have baffle strikes, it would be a near certainty.  Unless he's shooting .22 through a .308 can or somesuch.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 7:56:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Yes.  He wouldn't likely have baffle strikes, it would be a near certainty.  Unless he's shooting .22 through a .308 can or somesuch.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Question -

However in this case, the threads are cut parallel to the bore axis.

As a result the suppressor mount and suppressor will  be centered to the bore axis, and no strike will occur as a result of the thread job..
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 5:40:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
It wasnt supposed to ship. It got threaded, then put into our "problem pile"

The customer was supposed to have  been contacted. I went out of town for a couple days, when i returned, i was told that barrel had already been shipped.

I wish the customer would have contacted us about this but......  
View Quote

If you don't mind me asking (and I apologize in advance if this information was posted and I missed it):

ADCO, I'm curious, did you make any attempt to contact the customer once you realized the barrel had shipped by mistake?  Or did you decide to just wait to see if he contacted you?  I'm just wondering how many other things shouldn't have gone out your door but did, or how many other times you should have contacted the customer but didn't.

HKILLER, how much time passed from when they sent the barrel to when you posted?  I'm just wondering if they had an adequate amount of time to contact you about the issue (if they really wanted to).

HighSpeedSteel
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 6:35:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Ive given them many barrels and guns and all has been good.  I trust their machine work, and based on their volume and history, they know what they are doing.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 7:07:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Ok so just to make sure Im following along:

OP buys a 2nd rate turd barrel and due to his lack of understanding about threading, requests 5/8-24 at the grenade notch. Adco completes the work as requested giving him a safe and serviceable product and althouth not pretty, it IS compliant with the OPs request, safe to shoot and improved from it's original form.

Yeah, Adco sucks.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 7:55:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Nice. Adco stood up and went beyond.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 8:19:21 PM EDT
[#43]
This is exactly why all of my barrel work will continue going to adco.

They are a great outfit with no bs customer service.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 7:12:33 AM EDT
[#44]
Right on ADCO's order FAQ it says "WARNING - be sure you know what you are requesting. We will deliver exactly what you ask for, which isn't always what the customer wants."

ADCO delivered exactly what the customer asked for: 5/8-24 threads cut parallel to the bore axis in the undersized grenade notch of a poor-quality non-concentric barrel.  It turned out that the customerdidn't want that, but he did ask for that, and ADCO makes it very clear that they will dogmatically deliver exactly what you ask for.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 7:38:17 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 8:20:45 AM EDT
[#46]
I thought we put this one to sleep. First of all per adco stag is not a second rate company they adco  advised me they occasionally get a bad barrel slip out. Second I contacted adco for advise for the barrel lenght a 6.8spc would run suppressed,they recommended 11.5. They had barrel about 20 days then it showed up at my door without any  email, phone call or even a note in box. I went with them because of their reputation,  I think they could have advised me about the issue. They appologized and made it right with me.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 6:36:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

That statement is not applicable to this situation. We will NOT proceed with a job if we know it will result in a defective product. That statement regarding "getting what they ask for" refers to contour diameters, barrel lengths, muzzle device pinning/removal, etc.   As has been said many times in this thread, there was no way to know this barrel was off center until it was too late.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Right on ADCO's order FAQ it says "WARNING - be sure you know what you are requesting. We will deliver exactly what you ask for, which isn't always what the customer wants."

ADCO delivered exactly what the customer asked for: 5/8-24 threads cut parallel to the bore axis in the undersized grenade notch of a poor-quality non-concentric barrel.  It turned out that the customerdidn't want that, but he did ask for that, and ADCO makes it very clear that they will dogmatically deliver exactly what you ask for.

That statement is not applicable to this situation. We will NOT proceed with a job if we know it will result in a defective product. That statement regarding "getting what they ask for" refers to contour diameters, barrel lengths, muzzle device pinning/removal, etc.   As has been said many times in this thread, there was no way to know this barrel was off center until it was too late.

Your prior statements indicate that you knew the threads would end up in the grenade notch.  At the very least, that much can be measured before the chop happens.  Concentricity can't be checked beforehand but the chop point and major diameter of the grenade notch certainly can.  You seem to think I am against you but I think you are misreading my post.  I acknowledged that you turned correctly concentric threads in the area specified by the customer.  That does not make the product defective in my mind; it makes it what the customer requested.

You guys recently chopped a barrel for me but left the gas port untouched because I want to further modify the barrel.  I asked for that.  If I put it on an AR tomorrow it would fail to cycle, but that's what I asked for and I would have no right to blame you for a malfunctioning barrel.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top