Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/26/2014 9:43:59 PM EDT
Finally got to test out my new SBR that I've been building for awhile. I've really been itching to test out the Govnah adjustable gas block that's on it.  All went well at first with the suppressor on, but I didn't realize I was shooting on the unsuppressed setting with full gas.  After some playing around with various settings, I found the gun would only cycle with the can on and the gas opened up wide.  It wouldn't even eject under any other scenario.  I took it all apart and it looked like I had the gas port blocked off ever so slightly, I would not have thought that that little bit would cause so many problems.  But after re-aligning it, it cycled perfectly in all configurations. I'm very happy that they put a threaded hole on the top of the gas block so you can visually see the gas port, it allowed me to see that it was off without having to actually troubleshoot it.  

The Govnah works extremely well, with the suppressed setting I get pretty much no gas in my face which is a big deal to me since I'm a lefty.  My 16" AR with a standard gas block gives me a pretty noticeable blast of gas across my face.  It's super easy to take a bullet tip and poke through the hand guard to flip the setting back and forth.  If you are thinking about an adjustable gas block, you can't go wrong with the Govnah, it's so simple to use.  If you're running a short barreled 5.56 I would highly recommend an adjustable gas block, especially if you are left handed.  Overall I'm very happy with the way this build tuned out.

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 10:10:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice weapon . I was on the fence about a gas block for my first SBR. Thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 3:27:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Beautiful rifle. Love that color.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 4:22:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Really nice.  That certainly is a distinctive lower.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 4:27:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Something about this gun makes me feel inadequate; less of a man...

It may have something to do with the mag. Size XL and whatnot.

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 4:46:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the kind words. This was my one "all out, no budget, whatever you want build". Hopefully will have time to get it all sighted in and see how it groups next weekend.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 4:51:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Very nice rifle!

ETA - what barrel length on that?  12"?
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 5:40:59 PM EDT
[#7]
It started out at 11.5" but has been cut down to about 10.8" ish to remove the gap between the muzzle brake and hand guard.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 8:46:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Is that SBR in a casket?
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 10:25:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is that SBR in a casket?
View Quote

It's on a pillow on my bed, I really hope that bed isn't my casket
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 12:41:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 1:03:55 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Nice SBR. Glad the Govnah is working out for you.

I have one and I'm glad I chose it.
View Quote
Just curious,  do you drill your own port holes, or does it come pre-drilled?  I'm currently using a SLR Sentry, but I may want to try on of these...

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 1:27:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Just curious,  do you drill your own port holes, or does it come pre-drilled?  I'm currently using a SLR Sentry, but I may want to try on of these...  
View Quote

Your choice.  They have standard pre-drilled, custom pre-drilled, or blanks.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 2:54:27 PM EDT
[#13]
I have an SBR problem and I have been very curious about what other folks were doing for adjustable gas blocks. So I am very curious and this thread is helping.

Keep it up!
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 3:36:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 5:16:08 PM EDT
[#15]
My Govnah is the pre-drilled 10-12" SBR suppressed/unsuppressed model.  The settings seem to be perfect for my gun, it's running a standard M16 BCG, H2 buffer and carbine spring.  If you want it to be VERY specific to your gun and you don't mind tinkering with it a lot to get the perfect setting, then get the one that you have to drill yourself.  I didn't want to do all that trial and error, I just wanted to shoot.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 12:29:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 5:15:08 PM EDT
[#17]
It's just plain Tungsten, it looks a little lighter in the pics than it does in person.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top