Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/25/2014 4:32:51 PM EDT
So I've been thinking of building an upper where the suppressor is under the handguard. Really looking for some pictures of a 7 or 7.5in barrel and a rifle length handguard probably a vtac or MFR. I basically want to copy the DD ISR but with a 7in barrel. Also, if anyone is running this type of setup how is the heat on the handguard? I plan on using a sdn6 with the mount in the suppressor and use it as a screw on. Thanks for any insight!
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 5:37:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I've done it with 22 and with 5.7x28. Will possibly shorten my 9mm as well.

However, every time I see somebody mention it on a standard AR build, I think about a pic somebody posted in here a couple months ago:

Not sure if want a rail over that.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 8:00:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I would not put a rail over a 5.56 suppressor. I saw a post a while ago on here where a quality rail broke under the heat of the suppressor. Plus you would have to wear oven mitts to hold onto the gun.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 12:28:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've done it with 22 and with 5.7x28. Will possibly shorten my 9mm as well.

However, every time I see somebody mention it on a standard AR build, I think about a pic somebody posted in here a couple months ago:

http://i.imgur.com/GzMaC.jpg

Not sure if want a rail over that.
View Quote

That image is from 150 rounds fired full auto, 5 30 round magazines in a row.

Plenty of people run suppressors under handguard... but if you are going to be running full auto over an extended period of time, you might think twice about it.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 12:31:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
So I've been thinking of building an upper where the suppressor is under the handguard. Really looking for some pictures of a 7 or 7.5in barrel and a rifle length handguard probably a vtac or MFR. I basically want to copy the DD ISR but with a 7in barrel. Also, if anyone is running this type of setup how is the heat on the handguard? I plan on using a sdn6 with the mount in the suppressor and use it as a screw on. Thanks for any insight!
View Quote

OP, take a look at this post:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_121/610975_Building_a_Honey_Badger_copy___6_barrel_300_AAC_Blackout___Need_help_.html&page=1#i6010391
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 12:45:50 PM EDT
[#5]
It can work fine.  This is mine - 8.1" barrel on a Spikes BAR handguard.  The handgaurd has a heat shield on the bottom but not the top.  I don't do 5 mag dumps on full auto.  At typical semi auto firing rates, it doesn't get uncomfortably hot at all, even without a glove.

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 3:52:56 AM EDT
[#6]
If we are talking about 300 blackout it will be fine. If it is 5.55 I would not do it. My 5.56 supprssor gets hot with semi auto fire about 1 shot every 5 to 10 seconds. I get a nice mirage after about 20 rounds.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 1:26:44 AM EDT
[#8]
I think it's generally a bad practice with 5.56, and even more so with a 7" barrel, but go for it.

Just know what you're getting yourself into.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top