Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2014 6:25:13 AM EDT
I've got almost all the parts I need for my build except the hand guard.
My SBR is going to use a 10.2" Noveske 300blk barrel.

I'm down to two hand guards:

LaRue Tactical's 9.0" LT15-9 Handguard and Daniel Defense's 9.0" AR15 Lite Rail II

For the Daniel option, I was originally looking at the Mk18 rail, but after discovering that there could be suppressor mounting issues with the 10.2" barrel, I decided to pass.
Usually LaRue is the first place I go for something, and if they don't make it, I look elsewhere.
But, since I've heard some pretty good things about Daniel Defense, I'm reconsidering...

Here are the important (to me) specs:

LaRue LT15-9

-Retail Cost: $273
-Weight: 0.854 lb

Daniel 9" AR15 Lite

-Retail cost: $369
-Weight: 0.668 lb

LaRue wins in price, DD wins in weight.

I could honestly go either way, but seeing as I don't have much experience with either platform, I'd like to get some input and see what everyone's personal experiences have been.
I'd really like to hear from anyone who has had experiences with both.

Thanks

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:30:05 AM EDT
[#1]
I prefer the DD rail.  The mounting system is solid and I like the continuous top rail.  What suppressor are you going to use?  The MK18 rail will work with the KAC NT4 and Surefire SOCOM suppressors as well as a few others.  I would choose the Lite II for the built in QD mounts.

I'm planning on a 7.62 SOCOM mini.  It'll work on my MK18 and a 300 blackout build.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:37:52 AM EDT
[#2]
DD lite III

ETA: mk18 rail is awesome too.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:12:01 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm going to be using a Surefire SOCOM Mini, but I'm 90% sure it won't work on the Mk18 rail because of the 10.2" length of the Noveske Barrel.

I've heard it's close with a 10.5 and hit or miss with a 10.3, so I doubt a 10.2 would work.

Again, I'm not sure, and if anyone has proof one way or another, that would be awesome.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 9:36:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Does it have to be a quad rail? Needless bulk and weight.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:06:52 AM EDT
[#5]
I tried a buddy's keymod out and I was pretty underwhelmed.

Plus, a 9" quad rail is a completely different animal from a 14" quad rail IMO.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 4:02:10 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd go with the Daniel Defense.

If I were to modify the options, I could see a Knight's URX being thrown into the mix.  I'm already thinking of making an upper with a URX to add to the stable.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:41:23 AM EDT
[#7]
I am building the same upper: 10.2" barrel (noveske), and I found the Geissele MK4 9.5" tube in sand color at rogtac.com for $260. Really nice rail. This is the older MK4 without Keymod, but it already has rails where I need 'em for my laser and light. I have all my parts, and will build upper as soon as my F1 stamp comes in.

Just checked and it is $10 cheaper now. No affiliation, etc...
9.5" MK4 rail at rogtac.com
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 9:12:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Mk18 rail is amazing. Might wanna check and see if the suppressor is an issue. Also while a manufacturer might not recommend it you could but a peel washer on the end giving you a tiny gap for mounting.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 9:24:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Larue makes nice rails, but DD in my opinion is better.  I've got three of the M4 RASII's and they are awesome.  I've also got a 9" and 7" Lite rails.  The attachment system is very well engineered, the rails are light, and they look good too!

I don't know if you've looked at them, but my other two favorite rails are the Geissele Mk4 and the Knights URX 3 or 3.1.  They aren't true quad rails, but they have rails where you need them.  Light, and built super strong.  I'm building a 10.5" SBR upper right now with a Geissele Mk4 9.5" that I'll be using with my M4-2000 can.  Should be very nice.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 10:15:59 AM EDT
[#10]

Thanks everyone for the responses, after a trip to the Fun Shop, I actually found out that the 10.2" will in fact work with the Mk18 RIS II and still mount the suppressor.

I shudder to think of the results, but I may take this thread to GD just to get more responses.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top