Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2014 5:44:50 AM EDT
I have a DD MK18 and Specwar suppressor I'm waiting for.  I also have some assorted handguns like most.  What i don't have is a gun safe.  
I'm looking for something 36"or shorter in height that i can "hide" in a closet.  It needs to be fire resistant as well since i'd like to store paperwork and things like passports in it.

Sorry if i posted to the wrong subforum but i figured you guys might know more about this specific request.  
Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:18:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have a DD MK18 and Specwar suppressor I'm waiting for.  I also have some assorted handguns like most.  What i don't have is a gun safe.  
I'm looking for something 36"or shorter in height that i can "hide" in a closet.  It needs to be fire resistant as well since i'd like to store paperwork and things like passports in it.

Sorry if i posted to the wrong subforum but i figured you guys might know more about this specific request.  
Thanks!
View Quote

Find somewhere to put this and thank me later. You buy a small safe and before you know it you need another.
Fatboy Jr
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:05:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Find somewhere to put this and thank me later. You buy a small safe and before you know it you need another.
Fatboy Jr
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!

Fatboy Jr

Agreed, I just got mine a couple weeks ago and love it. Don't have near enough guns to fill it up right now, but that will change in the future.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 2:22:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Fatboy Jr
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!

Fatboy Jr

Hyped up big box store level safe with the Liberty name. Better safes out there for not much more money.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:51:53 PM EDT
[#4]
A small safe typically will not be what most people call a "safe", more of a gun cabinet. To get features like fire resistance and burglar resistance up to a cetain time like 15, 30, 45 min etc, you will have to go with a medium to large size safe and invest a minimum of $500 but more realistically around $1000+

If youre are just looking to mean the minimum needs of the NFA requirement to "prevent access" you can buy a hard locking gun case. It will keep law abiding folks and curious fingers of young children out but not criminals.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:11:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I have this one in my apartment. Cannon 24 gun safe  It's just about perfect for apartment living, it's not so heavy that you are worried about the floor under it, but it's heavy enough that it would take a few people to carry it out by hand.  It took me and my brother with a dolly 10+ minutes to get it up the stairs and inside.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:11:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
A small safe typically will not be what most people call a "safe", more of a gun cabinet. To get features like fire resistance and burglar resistance up to a cetain time like 15, 30, 45 min etc, you will have to go with a medium to large size safe and invest a minimum of $500 but more realistically around $1000+

If youre are just looking to mean the minimum needs of the NFA requirement to "prevent access" you can buy a hard locking gun case. It will keep law abiding folks and curious fingers of young children out but not criminals.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:27:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks everyone.  Guess i'll have to rethink my strategy off hiding it in a closet and just get something bigger to put in the garage.  Good thing is i won't need a safety deposit box if i get something larger and more fireproof.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:00:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's the question mark for?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:18:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I expect he's wondering (as I am) what "minimum needs of the NFA requirement to "prevent access"" you're referring to, since there is no such NFA requirement.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:25:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Even my son thinks a Fatboy Jr. is a good choice:

I would really recommend something a little larger.  My 24 gun safe didn't last long.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:07:01 PM EDT
[#11]
http://www.deansafe.com/sentry-safe-home-defense-center.html

Meets most of your requirements, only no fire protection.  

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 5:30:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I expect he's wondering (as I am) what "minimum needs of the NFA requirement to "prevent access"" you're referring to, since there is no such NFA requirement.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Guh, yeah yeah, you are correct the NFA nor the ATF give specifics on how they should actually be stored to prevent access. But if something happens and you find yourself in court in front of a judge do you want to tell him "yeah i kept my M16 that was used to shoot up the bank stored in my sock drawer" or do you want to say "The criminal broke into my gun safe, there really wasent much more i could have done to prevent him from obtaining the firearm"

http://www.guntrustlawyer.com/2009/03/where-can-my-nfa-firearms-be-s.html

Because the info provided by the NFA is so vague people tend to argue both ways, some say you should store it in a massive vault, others say F**K the NFA, the ATF and the Gov im sleeping with my UZI under my pillow. I personally take the necessary steps to secure my NFA items and all firearms, if not for legal reasons than for moral reasosn. I always recommend doing the bare minimum to secure your firearm by putting it in a locking case, that way you can at least say "yes it was locked up and secured"  But its your life can do whatever the heck you want to do.

Did a quick search and found this post from tony_k
There are no specific legal NFA requirements for a safe, but it is a felony for the registered owner to allow anyone else access to the registered NFA item. Examples cited as permitted (non-accessible) storage are locked gun cases; a safe would be fine, as long as the roommate does not have the combination to the safe.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 9:37:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey, I keep my NFA firearms in a safe, but please don't post that it is some requirement of the NFA to store your firearms in safe. Is it smart to do, yes. Is it
the law to do so, no. The "preventing access" part is also not listed anywhere in the NFA.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 4:07:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Hey, I keep my NFA firearms in a safe, but please don't post that it is some requirement of the NFA to store your firearms in safe. Is it smart to do, yes. Is it
the law to do so, no. The "preventing access" part is also not listed anywhere in the NFA.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats fine. Ill admit i do not have every line of the law memorized or a list of all the questions and answers from ATF Agents about this topic but the Lawyer who created my NFA trust told me what I stated earlier and I am going to trust his professional opinion before that of random people on a forum (which is known for being full of bad info). Not meant as an insult to you or anyone else.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 4:33:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Thats fine. Ill admit i do not have every line of the law memorized or a list of all the questions and answers from ATF Agents about this topic but the Lawyer who created my NFA trust told me what I stated earlier and I am going to trust his professional opinion before that of random people on a forum (which is known for being full of bad info). Not meant as an insult to you or anyone else.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No offense to you, but I'd get a new lawyer. That is in no way a requirement and he never should have told you it was. You don't need to be proficient in NFA laws to create a trust.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 5:08:55 PM EDT
[#16]
http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Stack-On-Shooters-Pistol/Ammo-Safe-with-Bonus-Case&i=778504

I got this one and works great but I got it cheaper at BJ's warehouse.

Came with 3 adjustable shelf's, I just cut rifle slots into one of them.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 5:44:17 PM EDT
[#17]
You do not want to put your gunsafe in the garage. Humidity is #1 enemy.
I know of two people who had safes dollied out of their garages when they went into the house for a drink, or to answer the phone. Both were bolted down, just not well enough!
Buy the biggest you can get, and I assure you it will fill up so fast you'll think they were rabbits.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 6:36:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You do not want to put your gunsafe in the garage. Humidity is #1 enemy.
I know of two people who had safes dollied out of their garages when they went into the house for a drink, or to answer the phone. Both were bolted down, just not well enough!
Buy the biggest you can get, and I assure you it will fill up so fast you'll think they were rabbits.
View Quote

+1 to this.

I got a 60" x 32" safe and I thought to myself "what do I need this giant thing for? I'll never fill this up." Sure enough, a year and 11 ATF forms later, I'm considering getting something bigger.

Once you start registering items, it's hard to stop, because the hobby just got more interesting.

To the OP, do yourself a favor and get something bigger, it will eventually fill up. All ATF rules aside (I'm not getting into that discussion), I'd hate to have my house burglarized and all my registered items I worked so hard and waited so long for to get stolen. Mine is bolted down in my closet and weighs about 1000lbs by now. It would be extremely difficult for a burglar to haul it off, even if he was prepared to do so.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 5:58:04 PM EDT
[#19]
I just received my new safe. I bought a 42x27x6 4gauge safe from Sturdy Safe Co. I'm very happy with it. As far as my personal opinion goes, who cares... But I would recommend at least watching some Youtube videos on safe breaking. SturdySafe.com has put many videos together showing how most safe attempts are made and how they build theirs to defeat them. Good luck!
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 2:21:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Man that drunk baby has a lot of guns
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 4:33:26 PM EDT
[#21]
While the Fatboy Jr. is probably sufficient in most respects, if it were me, I'd look at the Amsec FV line

in this price range.  Several reasons, but I'll leave it at saying that I much prefer a unit with external

hinges.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top