Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/18/2014 3:31:33 PM EDT
I am really considering one of these, CMMG 300 BLK 8" upper with key mod forearm. I was at the outlet store and they have them for a little less than on the CMMG website, plus you get a free Mag-tach alloy lower with the purchase. I have a Colt SBR lower and most likely will use a YHM Ti 762 Phantom QD suppressor with the brake attachment.

The upper is $749 + the free lower. Any thoughts or experiences?  I did some research and found that previously CMMG had issues with barrel concentricity and poor threading, even bad enough that ADCO would not work on them, but I understand that was several years ago.

Spikes, Core, ACC???  8 or 9 inch?
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 4:26:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a CMMG 8" barrel sitting in my shop cabinet drawer, as I'm in no hurry while waiting on a stamp.  It looks good.  $749 is a bit high for an upper IMO...
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 5:11:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a CMMG 8" barrel sitting in my shop cabinet drawer, as I'm in no hurry while waiting on a stamp.  It looks good.  $749 is a bit high for an upper IMO...
View Quote

I have been spending a lot of time looking at 8 and 9 inch uppers and that is not too bad when looking at Spikes, AAC, Core, all over $950.  The only sub-$600 ones I have seen with short barrels are from Surplus Arms and Ammo and their own brand  or from MAS Defense and those cheaper ones have all been 1:8 twist, not 1:7.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 5:15:43 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I have been spending a lot of time looking at 8 and 9 inch uppers and that is not too bad when looking at Spikes, AAC, Core, all over $950.  The only sub-$600 ones I have seen with short barrels are from Surplus Arms and Ammo and their own brand  or from MAS Defense and those cheaper ones have all been 1:8 twist, not 1:7.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm using a "build my own" price as a comparison when saying it's a bit high...

Link Posted: 7/18/2014 5:25:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I have less than $600 in a complete 8" upper I built.  Used an aero barrel which was on sale over 4th of July.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 5:32:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I was looking around more and found a 9 inch one on Red X Arms website, with a 9 inch Samson evolution keymod handguard and a 1:7 twist.  But Samson says the internal diameter is 1.56" and my YMH 762 suppressor in 1.5", not sure if that will fit or not.  Any thoughts on that fitting?  Here is the upper.

Forget Red X, just read reviews on them, not a chance.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 6:17:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been looking at the Mas Defense upper, as well as this one for a short pistol build.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 5:25:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Check your can - I can't remember if the Ti is the same OD as the SS but the SS is for sure 1.625" OD, not 1.5".
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 5:29:54 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I was looking around more and found a 9 inch one on Red X Arms website, with a 9 inch Samson evolution keymod handguard and a 1:7 twist.  But Samson says the internal diameter is 1.56" and my YMH 762 suppressor in 1.5", not sure if that will fit or not.  Any thoughts on that fitting?  Here is the upper.

Forget Red X, just read reviews on them, not a chance.
View Quote

Yep avoid avoid avoid.   Is building your own an option. The aero barrel is a great barrel especially for the price.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 11:24:19 AM EDT
[#9]
The Ti is 1.5 and the SS is 1.625 per YHM's website.

I can't believe how much time I have spent researching this out but, I think I may give it a go building one myself.  

My list so far:

-KAK Industries SS 9" barrel 1:8 twist    $265
-KAK Industires low pro gas block and pistol gas tube  $38
-Spikes Upper complete   $99
-YHM Diamond series 9" 9633-DX    $130
-YHM-3302-MB-24A .30 QD Muzzle break  $90
Total: About $622

Any suggestions or thougths?  This will go on a Colt 6920 lower I SBRd.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 11:33:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Aero Barrel  8" is $210 and it comes melonited.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 11:44:33 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Aero Barrel  8" is $210 and it comes melonited.  
View Quote
And you can get the CMMG for ~$150...

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 11:59:13 AM EDT
[#12]
I was looking the Aero one, but I understood that the best lest for 300 BLK is 9 inch for full powder burn for subs and supers???

I was not sure about the CMMG due to past issues I read about with concentricity and threading.

Does the barrel material finish and type in this case matter:

-Aero: 4150 CrMoV, QPQ Coated  1:7 twist
-CMMG: 4140 CrMo, Salt Bath Nitride Finish  1:7 twist
-KAK: 416 Stainless 1:8 twist

The KAK barrels come in 8", 8.2", and 9".
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 4:20:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I was looking the Aero one, but I understood that the best lest for 300 BLK is 9 inch for full powder burn for subs and supers???

I was not sure about the CMMG due to past issues I read about with concentricity and threading.

Does the barrel material finish and type in this case matter:

-Aero: 4150 CrMoV, QPQ Coated  1:7 twist
-CMMG: 4140 CrMo, Salt Bath Nitride Finish  1:7 twist
-KAK: 416 Stainless 1:8 twist

The KAK barrels come in 8", 8.2", and 9".
View Quote

fwiw- of the 3 you listed, the Aero barrel (iirc), is the "best" of the barrel steels listed as it is superior to CMMG's 4140, and also utilizes a "better" nitride finish (quench polish quench), and has better anti corrosion properties than the 416 stainless.

I have the Aero barrel and am quite happy with it's quality.

It's neither the cheapest nor most expensive (of what you listed) but the "best" in my book given all things considered.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top