Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/2/2014 4:54:21 AM EDT
Since you have to put the entire trust name on a lower, what are the problems with creating a shorter name when creating the trust.

Instead of:

[Last name] Revocable Living Trust

I just use:

[Last name] Trust

I would use this on the paperwork for the trust and then use this on the engraving. Just want to see if anyone has any experience or advise when doing this.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 5:27:47 AM EDT
[#1]
My trust is simply named "LastName Trust". No problems so far. I've got plenty of approved forms. Don't waste space with that "revocable living trust" crap.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 5:49:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My trust is simply named "LastName Trust". No problems so far. I've got plenty of approved forms. Don't waste space with that "revocable living trust" crap.
View Quote

This man speaks the truth.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 6:02:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Mine is (first, middle, last initial) NFA trust.

Was going to try to be creative, but simplicity won out.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 6:32:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Mine is just my last name then Trust.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 6:42:32 AM EDT
[#5]
The attorney that did mine had it named "(last name) RLT"
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 6:56:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Mine is XXX Trust.  XXX being my initials.  Makes everything simple.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 12:40:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 1:13:17 PM EDT
[#8]
"Lastname TRUST" also.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 1:56:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Same here.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 2:30:02 PM EDT
[#10]
"LastName NFA Trust" is mine and it has worked out well.  I have another that is "FirstName LastName Revocable Living Trust" and it is a PITA since it is so long so I got a different one.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 3:00:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Or name it:

In God We Trust
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 3:23:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Last name Firearm Trust here, been good so far.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 3:28:05 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View Quote
This is what I used as well...

Link Posted: 7/2/2014 4:13:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thirds
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 4:15:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Mine is

ABC RLT

Where ABC are my initials.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 4:16:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
"LastName NFA Trust" is mine and it has worked out well.  I have another that is "FirstName LastName Revocable Living Trust" and it is a PITA since it is so long so I got a different one.
View Quote

Same thing here, except my other one also had my middle initial.  And it started with "The" in all the paperwork...
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 9:35:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Mine is Last Name Trust.  For the guys who are using RLT instead of Revocable Living Trust, have you been receiving recent approvals?  For the last several years, ATF was denying if they were using the abbreviation.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 10:05:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Mine is Last Name Trust.  For the guys who are using RLT instead of Revocable Living Trust, have you been receiving recent approvals?  For the last several years, ATF was denying if they were using the abbreviation.
View Quote

They're denying if the trust spelled it out but you put RLT on the application.

You should be able to name your trust "Fred" if you so choose. Shorter the better.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 10:25:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is my first submission so I will find out but my attorney had said he done something like 300-400 nfa trusts so I would think it would be fine.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 10:31:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

I did this too.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 11:41:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Mine is our family ranch name NFA Trust.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 4:59:44 AM EDT
[#22]
There is no reason to even use your name.  Just choose some cool initials, like 'XXX Trust'.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 9:58:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Two letters and then Trust: XX Trust
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 12:00:45 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm the jackass who created a trust before I realized I wanted an SBR and knew about the engraving REQ.

Mine is 42 letters.

Link Posted: 7/3/2014 5:16:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I'm the jackass who created a trust before I realized I wanted an SBR and knew about the engraving REQ.

Mine is 42 letters.

View Quote

So just copy the trust and change the name. Have it notarized. Bam, new trust with fewer letters. Nothing against having more than one trust.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 7:06:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Mine is 42 letters.

View Quote

Mine might be worse. I created mine for the sole purpose of NFA items. Due to me not fully understanding the implications, I had it notarized and mailed off before I realized the fact it said this trust shall be known as the "Lastname Living Trust, dated this 26th day of July, 2013". I submitted as simply "Lastname Living Trust".

To top it off, there's a clause in my trust that prevents the name from being changed, to protect future trustees.

My first two paper forms were approved, but my next two had error letters sent. I already had an Amendment drafted and notarized to "clarify" the name was simply Lastname Living Trust (which is actually how the shorter Certification of Trust showed it. I uploaded the Amendment to all five Pending EForms...but the first two were Disapproved anyway. I explained the situation, the Section Chief looked over the forms, trust and amendment, and went back and approved them. The next three were approved the first pass.

So...lesson to all. Make sure it's a short, simple name. Then, use the full trust name on the application.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 9:52:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Now you guys have me considering forming a new trust named "Live free or Die" or maybe "WarHammer"
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 10:42:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Now you guys have me considering forming a new trust named "Live free or Die" or maybe "WarHammer"
View Quote

I think somebody should name theirs RLT Trust...just to confuse the whole situation. Maybe there's a Robert Leroy Thomas on ARFCOM.
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 5:02:38 AM EDT
[#29]
So just to clarify, it appears the trust does not even need to say "trust". Is that correct?

Furthermore, what would prevent you from just forming a trust called "Colt Defense" and then just putting your city and state on the lower?
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 8:34:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
So just to clarify, it appears the trust does not even need to say "trust". Is that correct?

Furthermore, what would prevent you from just forming a trust called "Colt Defense" and then just putting your city and state on the lower?
View Quote

Don't actually know. I would like to think as long as you had the trust with a line that said "this trust shall be known as....", you could name it what you wanted. What if your trust said "this trust shall be known as Home Town, NC", and you only engraved one line?

Even better...since the city, state is simply where you make the firearm and doesn't have to be your home address, what if you lived in the same state (not sure of the legality of building one out of state) and traveled over to the city engraved on the firearm for final assembly?
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 1:17:40 PM EDT
[#31]
I went with "[lastname] trust" also.  Not a big deal.
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 4:26:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Mine is Last name - NFA Trust
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 10:16:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

So just copy the trust and change the name. Have it notarized. Bam, new trust with fewer letters. Nothing against having more than one trust.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine is 42 letters.

Excellent suggestion - and I did so yesterday!  

It is now the "In God We Trust".

Will look much better engraved.  
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 8:51:55 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View Quote
Same. Nice and short.

Link Posted: 7/6/2014 9:33:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Jesus!  What must your name be?
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 1:56:10 PM EDT
[#36]
I got stuck with a long named trust "First Middle Last, Suffix. Revocable Living Trust" and get it engraved above the trigger pin hole.   Looks like I have a poem written on the side of the gun, but doesn't look bad since it's done very professionally.

Link Posted: 7/8/2014 8:10:48 PM EDT
[#37]
My trust is through a dealer who had it drawn up by a local attorney. I questioned him on the name of the trust / length of the name (Full Name Revocable Living Trust I) and he said that was the way it had to be.
I naively agreed...

Now that I'm several stamps in, including a couple SBR's, I realize I should have insisted on a shorter name. I also should have copied the trust and changed the name prior to my SBRs so I wouldn't have such a long name to engrave.

The OCD in me wants everything engraved the same.

Maybe next time...
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 6:15:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Well - looks like the ATF is "OK" with my Trust - "In God We Trust", which looks AWESOME engraved  

Oh - and got my tax stamp in 4.5 WEEKS!  WTF??

Approved: Nichole Lee

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 11:48:57 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View Quote
Ditto here.

Link Posted: 10/9/2014 6:29:11 AM EDT
[#40]
Question;

If I name my trust "Blah Blah City Arsenal Trust" and I make the manufacturers name on an 80% lower "Blah Blah City Arsenal Trust, Blah Blah City, State" Will the manufacturers marking suffice for the trust marking?

I'm naturally cheap and only want to pay for one engraving.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 8:01:48 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Question;

If I name my trust "Blah Blah City Arsenal Trust" and I make the manufacturers name on an 80% lower "Blah Blah City Arsenal Trust, Blah Blah City, State" Will the manufacturers marking suffice for the trust marking?

I'm naturally cheap and only want to pay for one engraving.
View Quote
The required information only needs to be engraved once, but you will need to add a model and serial number to the engraving (caliber as well if it's not already marked on the barrel).  These model and serial # can be made up by you, but you'll need to make sure your serial number conforms to NFA requirements and is engraved properly as to character height...

Link Posted: 10/9/2014 8:37:54 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
...but you'll need to make sure your serial number conforms to NFA requirements and is engraved properly as to character height...  
View Quote

To help save you some time...when you choose to SN, make sure it has at least one numeral. It can be all numbers if you want, or a combination of alphanumeric, but it cannot be all letters like a name.

Everything has to be a minimum if .003" deep, while the SN has an additional requirement of a minimum of 1/16" in height.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 3:35:11 AM EDT
[#43]
I did mine as "The Lastname Trust',  I do have a friend who did his as " In Arms We Trust".
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 1:18:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/10/2014 1:48:52 PM EDT
[#45]
In guns we trust.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 3:50:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

the word trust does need to be in the name

I did firstname Trust, because I like my first name better, and no one else does it
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 3:50:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
In guns we trust.
View Quote

fuck yes
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 11:50:32 AM EDT
[#48]
Mine is "FMML NFA Trust"

I have 2 middle names, so it's first, mid mid, last. No need to put "NFA" trust in there....but since my hometown name is so long, in 2 line engraving it doesn't really matter much. The trust name is still short than the city/state.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 12:47:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Mine is "FMML NFA Trust"

I have 2 middle names, so it's first, mid mid, last. No need to put "NFA" trust in there....but since my hometown name is so long, in 2 line engraving it doesn't really matter much. The trust name is still short than the city/state.
View Quote

As a maker (not a manufacturer), you engrave the city, state where it's made. Doesn't have anything to do with your hometown. If you happen to live in Winchestertonfieldville, and the next town over is Seattle, just get Seattle engraved and cross the city limit before attaching the upper to the lower for the first time.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 2:34:31 PM EDT
[#50]
It's the city/state of the location indicated on your form, not some arbitrary location.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top