Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2014 6:06:45 PM EDT
I've spent a few hours trying to research how the SBR process works and the lowers that appear to be reputable and long lasting. Good lowers seem very hard to come by. Perhaps it is just poor internet searching skills. I think I've located one that would be a good candidate. Noveske Gen 2 Nonchainsaw: Link. If anyone could give me their approval/disapproval/recommendations it would be majorly appreciated as this is my first SBR build.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:11:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I've spent a few hours trying to research how the SBR process works and the lowers that appear to be reputable and long lasting. Good lowers seem very hard to come by. Perhaps it is just poor internet searching skills. I think I've located one that would be a good candidate. Noveske Gen 2 Nonchainsaw: Link. If anyone could give me their approval/disapproval/recommendations it would be majorly appreciated as this is my first SBR build.
View Quote

Save yourself a lot of money and get a Mega lower.  Noveske is nice stuff, but that price ($350) is stupid.

I consider Mega to be the industry standard for machining and finish.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:12:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Gen 2s are nice lowers, but damn that is expensive.  You could get a Mega Arms or Seekins billet lower for <$250. There are a lot of nice billet lowers out there much cheaper than that one.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:21:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Aero precision for $115.
quality forged and in spec.
Doesn't look as nice as the pricier options but works great.
I also have a DSA and a Colt.
And a plumcrazy that I SBRed to build a superlight 22.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:48:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Why just Seekins, Mega and the golorius N?

Cant ANY lower be turned into an SBR?

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:53:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes.  Any in spec lower will do.  I have a Colt and a (gasp) Olympic Arms that are SBR'd.  Both work fine.  Nothing special needed unless you just want to spend more money or are looking for specific features a regular lower doesn't have.

Edit for spelling.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:01:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Most people start off saying I'm only going to do this once so I'll get the best.
Then comes the itch.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 10:06:28 PM EDT
[#7]
My only SBR is a 23-year-old Olympic Arms.
Being in spec is far more important than the roll mark.

What i mean is that the lower receiver you linked is unnecessarily expensive. It's only worth it if you want it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 10:26:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Save yourself a lot of money and get a Mega lower.  Noveske is nice stuff, but that price ($350) is stupid.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This - I SBR'd my Mega lower with ambi-bolt release.  Good stuff..

With that being said, i also SBR'd my spikes lower and it runs like a champ.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 10:31:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Buy whatever lower you want, build it, run it with a legal length upper to make sure it's in spec, then sbr it.

After making sure it was in spec I sbr`d a PSA lower (still waiting on the stamp).
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 2:58:52 AM EDT
[#10]
My two SBRs are both CMT tactical billet lowers. They are nice. But really any spec lower is fine. I just like billet better.

https://www.cmttac.com/
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:21:42 AM EDT
[#11]
I paid <$250 for my gen 2 chainsaw. Keep searching, although it may take a way since the are being phased out for gen 3.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:41:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

A little cheaper HERE there's also a promo code somewhere for them as well.

ETA: Discount Code 15off200
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:15:43 AM EDT
[#13]
I have a Seekins and a Mega.

Seekins SP223 HANDS DOWN.

The Seekins has more features.

If you want forged, DOA Arms has Aeroprecision Upper and Lower sets for $115.  Yes, both stripped upper AND lower for that price.  As a bonus, the Aero has a captured takedown pin detent hole.

I would go with the blank Seekins lower, they are soooooo nice.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:17:52 AM EDT
[#14]
I would like to build a rifle on one of those Noveskes because the oversized magwell piques my interest,  but I can't come to terms with the price. My next lower will probably be built on a Rainier Arms forged lower or a Seekins billet lower.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:39:14 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm a fan of Tactical Innovations T-15 lowers. They've got some nice features and they don't have any ridiculous roll marks, just model/SN/company name. Gives you a clean looking build and plenty of room/options as far as a place to engrave your info.

Just checked their site. They've got them for $109.99 right now, which is a good price, IMO.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 10:32:22 AM EDT
[#16]
I have one of those SBR'd.  $350 is stupid.  Hell, the normal price is stupid.  I just bought another from JoeBobOutfitters for $250 a few weeks ago.  Non-chainsaw.

I have two PSA blem lowers form 1 pending now.  Get what you like, rollmark wise, but don't get suckered into justifying $350 for a Noveske on any other premise other than the fact you like the rollmark and want to waste money.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 12:08:20 PM EDT
[#17]
im about to SBR a blacksheep6tactical billet lower (currently waiting on papers)
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 12:13:53 PM EDT
[#18]
My first 2 SBR's were billet lowers, fancy and all that.

Latest 2 ?  Delton

All run 100%
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 12:17:52 PM EDT
[#19]
My first two ARs were built off Mega lowers, the "Gator" model with the meat tenderizer texture on the front of the magwell. I built them up into complete rifles but didn't SBR them for sake of being lazy and opting for the front magwell engraving (which didn't require disassembly from Orion Arms).

I'd buy a Mega again, and this time around I'd ship if off for engraving before building it up.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 1:28:44 PM EDT
[#20]
I sbr'd a gen2 noveske lower... that said, I really wish I would have known the surefire 60 round mags wouldn't work with it...
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 1:30:11 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm a sucker for quality, so if the extra cost can be justified, than that is typically the route I take. It sounds as though the general consensus is that it does not make a difference as long as it is mil spec. As one of the above posters recommended, I think I will partially compromise and go for the Seekins lower as seen in this link: Seekins. Now that I have that decided for now, what parts kits do you recommend? I hate to pay just for the name, but if the name is associated with impeccable quality, it's worth it in my eyes. This is also my first AR build altogether as well.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 2:40:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Meh... I'm waiting on a Form 1 for an Anderson MFG lower.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 2:49:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Good lowers seem very hard to come by.
View Quote

Finding a good one is easy.

Lowers are the least significant part. Every lower I have used has been great - Colt, Bushmaster, DPMS, KAC, AAC, Shark, LaRue, 80%, LMT, Noveske, Spikes. They all work and function 100%.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 3:19:09 PM EDT
[#24]
I approve; although $350 is just a bit silly.  I have two gen2 lowers, one SBR'd.   I like the magwell and that the rest of the lower looks more like a forged lower than some of the weird billet lowers.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 3:25:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Lowers are the least significant part. Every lower I have used has been great - Colt, Bushmaster, DPMS, KAC, AAC, Shark, LaRue, 80%, LMT, Noveske, Spikes. They all work and function 100%.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good lowers seem very hard to come by.

That's my take as well...I've built 11 in the last year, and only two of them were the same.  Paid anywhere from $60 to $180. A quality LPK makes a bigger difference in the lower.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:03:20 AM EDT
[#26]
$50 PSA lower plus $200 tax stamp plus $50 engraving.  If it breaks it is still cheaper than Noveske option, throw it away and start over.  

If you have an AR that runs well already, Sbr that.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:13:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
$50 PSA lower plus $200 tax stamp plus $50 engraving.  If it breaks it is still cheaper than Noveske option, throw it away and start over.  

If you have an AR that runs well already, Sbr that.
View Quote

This. A million times this. Common sense at its best
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:44:56 AM EDT
[#28]
I just got a Gen2 non-chainsaw from PK arms for $250...

As much as i'd agree with others that less expensive lowers are functionally just as good as more expensive whiz-bang billet lowers, this a registered SBR....you are practically marrying it, and waiting 8-10 months for the stamp.  Get what you want, not what's good enough in this case.

Also, having laid hands on the San-tan billet lower, i'd say that's superior in about every way to the Noveske.  Unless you're trying to keep all your parts on this SBR Noveske (for less of a garage gun look), i'd go san-tan.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 1:40:43 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Buy whatever lower you want, build it, run it with a legal length upper to make sure it's in spec, then sbr it.

After making sure it was in spec I sbr`d a PSA lower (still waiting on the stamp).
View Quote
This is what I did. I opted to use my gen 1 noveske lower over the gen 2 because it can use a redi mag. I recently found out I don't really like redi mags that much but I like having a "standard" looking lower. The gen 2 is pretty and everything at least mine is(some recent uproar over some of their lowers) but the gen 1 does what it's supposed to.

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 11:37:21 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View Quote
You can register any lower you want...

I know there's always this one guy, but I've never seen anyone wear out a lower...  

Any lower that I saw rendered useless, was a situation that any brand would have turned out the same way...

Link Posted: 4/26/2014 1:56:55 AM EDT
[#31]
If you want it, get it. I agree that the price is too high though...I paid $250 for my G2 Chainsaw when you couldn't find ANY G2 in stock, but like others said, you can find them for cheaper. I bought a Noveske upper as well, so I personally wanted a matching upper/lower and liked the look, and of course the great quality!

If you want the Noveske, get it. Don't let others talk you into something you don't really want...after all, it's YOUR money.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top