Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2014 2:57:52 PM EDT
I was just at my local rural king and saw what I thought was an SBR... a new Sig pm400.  I talked to the clerk and he assured me that it is a legal pistol.   ????  It has what appears to be a butt stock.  Is that NOT a short barreled rifle??????
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 2:59:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I was just at my local rural king and saw what I thought was an SBR... a new Sig pm400.  I talked to the clerk and he assured me that it is a legal pistol.   ????  It has what appears to be a butt stock.  Is that NOT a short barreled rifle??????
View Quote

It (most likely) had the SB15 Stabilizing Brace on it. Still considered a pistol.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:18:42 PM EDT
[#2]
It did have the "brace" on it.   lol...  but how does that brace.. other than you can strap it around your arm if wanted to....  not be considered a butt stock since you can rest it against your shoulder much more comfortably than just the buffer tube?  I mean.. hey... great if they want to sell legal "renamed" sbrs.  I have two with the stamps and with that one... "the pm400"... no problem crossing state lines since its ONLY a pistol.  

Just seemed obvious to me that it would be deemed a butt stock.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:29:35 PM EDT
[#3]
The first rule about sig pistol brace, you don't talk about sig pistol brace!
Honestly though, yes it's stupid. The sbr thing is stupid too. Just goes to show you how fine the line is...
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:29:45 PM EDT
[#4]
There was a letter from the ATF about that. They ruled that it was not illegal to shoulder the brace against your shoulder when firing.

Sig Arm Brace - ATF Letter
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:56:10 AM EDT
[#5]
So.... I can sell my SBR's and just build a 7" ar pistol and put one of those sig "stabilizers" on it and its all legal?  no tax stamp... can travel state to state... hmmmmm   any other PISTOLS out there with a stabilizer "buttstock"?
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 11:11:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Woah! You NEVER sell firearms. Especially not NFA stuff! Just continue to invest.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:38:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Pretty much any pistol that can take an AR-15 buffer tuber.

For example, you can get an HK style pistol, then add a fleming AR buffer tube adapter and put on a sig arm brace
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:39:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Why not sell my SBR's?  I have a 7" ar 5.56  and a 7" Yugo ak underfolder.  Love them both.. but its a pain in the ass to worry about them being stolen or no body can play with them without me there... the tax stamps are only in my name.  Cant go to the range across the river... state line.. ect.  Thought about just putting long barrels back on them.... selling them... and build some new pistols to put the "stabilizer" on.  

I am wondering.. on an ak pistol... if I put a fold to the side buffer tube on it for an ar type stock... can I still just use the stabilizer and it still be a pistol?   hmmmmmm
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:01:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Sig makes a brace for ak pistols as well.

Don't you worry about all of your guns getting stolen? Not just the stamped ones?
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:03:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why not sell my SBR's?  I have a 7" ar 5.56  and a 7" Yugo ak underfolder.  Love them both.. but its a pain in the ass to worry about them being stolen or no body can play with them without me there... the tax stamps are only in my name.  Cant go to the range across the river... state line.. ect.  Thought about just putting long barrels back on them.... selling them... and build some new pistols to put the "stabilizer" on.  

I am wondering.. on an ak pistol... if I put a fold to the side buffer tube on it for an ar type stock... can I still just use the stabilizer and it still be a pistol?   hmmmmmm
View Quote

Yes, just like if you put the LAW on the AR pistol.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:17:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes... I don't want any weapon stolen or any other item... however... If you have a nfa item stolen and they somehow deem you did not do everything in your power to protect it... they may do something about it.  A non-stamped weapon is different from my understanding.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:18:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Showing ignorance here.. but what is LAW that your referring to?
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:32:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Showing ignorance here.. but what is LAW that your referring to?
View Quote

LAW Tactical Folding Stock Adapter
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:00:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yes... I don't want any weapon stolen or any other item... however... If you have a nfa item stolen and they somehow deem you did not do everything in your power to protect it... they may do something about it.  A non-stamped weapon is different from my understanding.
View Quote

I've always wanted an AK sbr
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 11:32:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not really different. And you can take your SBR to the range, just fill out a 5320.20 every year.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top