Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/12/2014 8:24:44 AM EDT
I was at the range awhile back & a m-4 sbr was being fired with constant failures to eject on the 1st round. it would extract but then not eject(still holding the empty) move forward & jam up on a partially stripped fresh round, denting it.
no one could figure it out, I thought  the gas system might be misaligned over the gas port.
is this typical of the ar-15 sbr's.?
I was thinking of getting one but after seeing the problems with this one , makes me stop & think.
thanks for any input,
ck
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 9:19:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Not typical.

While ARFCOM in general seems to be an unlucky lot (I have never had, seen nor heard of as many malfunctioning weapons as ARFCOM seems to have) the AR platform is a very reliable weapon system, SBRs included.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 10:45:45 AM EDT
[#2]
More than likely it's a gas problem. Most people build their own sbr's and the gas system is pretty easy to get out of alignment. Could also be the wrong buffer and spring combo. Don't let it sway you though, jump in! Tinkering with your rifle after you built it is part of the fun.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 5:35:09 AM EDT
[#3]
He probably just needs to open up the port a little if it was originally a full length barrel that has been shortened.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 7:19:59 AM EDT
[#4]
For a failure to eject, the first thing I'd look at is the ejector and ejector spring. Could be a real simple fix.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 7:24:50 AM EDT
[#5]
On the last round fired, does the bolt lock back?
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 10:08:50 AM EDT
[#6]
make sure it has the right buffer spring
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 11:22:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Here's my reply from the dupe thread that got locked:

What type of ammo? My 10.5" AR did the exact thing with Wolf ammo. I put the BCM extractor upgrade kit in it and the problems went away.

ETA- Does it work okay after clearing the first malfunction? My would do this at random times, not just on the first round.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 2:34:49 AM EDT
[#8]
I had a similar problem awhile back w/my 11.5" SBR. I couldn't figure it because it just happened w/o any indication why.
Closer inspection when I got back home revealed that the gas key had come loose. Re-staking the fasteners corrected the problem.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:24:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
On the last round fired, does the bolt lock back?
View Quote

^this first
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 12:30:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Had a a similar problem on an upper I bought off someone.  The buffer spring was 1/4" to long and the bcg wouldn't work.  switched both out and it works fine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top