Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/3/2014 7:41:43 PM EDT
Anyone running a TRL-1 / HL on a 10.5" SBR with a 10" rail? I'm thinking of bumping my Troy front sight back and slapping on a TRL forward of the BUIS. Before I do and jack up my zero, I wanted to get some thoughts from anyone that's running this set up.

Thanks,
Kirch
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 8:33:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Not exactly the same, but I shot a night, 2 gun match with a TLR mounted at 12 oclock on a RRA AR pistol, and even on the long stage, it didn't get terribly warm.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 8:37:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a railed gas block piston system and mounted a X300U, against the advise of most here. I've ran this setup in matches and i have yet to melt the plastic. The block gets warm but still touchable. Light functions 100%.

I do have a TLR-1S before and decided to switch to the X300U because of the smaller bezel. Using my EXPS 3-0, the TLR sticks up a bit more vs. the X300U.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 8:47:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 7:25:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I run one like that. No issues
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 9:52:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a railed gas block piston system and mounted a X300U, against the advise of most here. I've ran this setup in matches and i have yet to melt the plastic. The block gets warm but still touchable. Light functions 100%.

I do have a TLR-1S before and decided to switch to the X300U because of the smaller bezel. Using my EXPS 3-0, the TLR sticks up a bit more vs. the X300U.
View Quote

That's good info because I have that same Eotech and also got a X300U I could use. I didn't think about the light obstructing the optic. Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 9:55:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Well guys thanks for the advice and I'll be going this route . I use to think a light at the 12 o'clock looked stupid and did nothing but reduce sight radius but like many of you, competiting in 3-Gun showed me a light at the 3 or 9 doesn't work at all when shooting on or around barriers.

Thanks again for the advice!

Kirch
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 11:29:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Here's another option you may or may not be interested in.

Rosch Works SL1
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 5:57:53 AM EDT
[#8]
No problems here, but mine is an 11.5"...

Link Posted: 4/8/2014 12:18:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice rifle and I like that paint job! Looks like I'll have plenty of space for the light and BUIS and shouldn't have to adjust my support grip at all.

Who made that Kydex triple Glock mag carrier?
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 4:35:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

There's a kydex press in the upper right hand corner of his picture so I bet its a home brew.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 6:06:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Lol I didn't see the KK press in the pic oops.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 6:14:49 PM EDT
[#12]
9.2" rail on a 10.3" barrel
Works well for me
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 7:12:59 PM EDT
[#13]
View Quote

Thanks for posting the pic and that's a badass SBR. That two tone color scheme is legit!

You happen to know the weight of your rifle?

Thanks,
Kirch
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 3:35:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the kind words. It weighs in at  7lbs as pictured with an empty mag and sling added. The Troy rail is a little heavy and I've been thinking of swapping it for something else. I could probably shave a half pound if I do.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 5:33:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Thanks for the kind words. It weighs in at  7lbs as pictured with an empty mag and sling added. The Troy rail is a little heavy and I've been thinking of swapping it for something else. I could probably shave a half pound if I do.
View Quote

Yea, I'm ditching my Troy 10" rail for an SLR 10" Solo Lite here very soon. I'll save about 10oz there and I'm also going to swop out the UBR and go back to a CTR. Putting the SBR on a diet and stream lining the whole rifle.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 5:54:27 AM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

That color scheme is pretty slick! What color is that? Is that duracoat? Any other info?
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 6:01:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Ok Ive looked at these set ups before and I don't like the looks of them the most.  But I am a function over looks guy any day.

I know there are things like barrel shadowing to worry about but why would a set up like this be better over say a 10 or 2 placement with an offset mount like the Haley Thorntail?
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 6:07:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That color scheme is pretty slick! What color is that? Is that duracoat? Any other info?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thanks, the receivers and rail are Patriot Brown Ceracoat the furniture is FDE and the other parts are standard black.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 6:09:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Does the light get into your view when looking through your red dot? Or when using iron sights? I tried this at the range and moved it back to the offset position. Thought it was kinda in the way of my sights, maybe I'm just forgetting. I've got Troy flip ups and an aimpiont pro.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 7:27:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Does the light get into your view when looking through your red dot? Or when using iron sights? I tried this at the range and moved it back to the offset position. Thought it was kinda in the way of my sights, maybe I'm just forgetting. I've got Troy flip ups and an aimpiont pro.
View Quote

I think it's about personal preference. One of the benefits of the 12 position is being able to mount the light directly to the rail. No extra mounts, weight or parts to come loose or fail. I still use the 10 or 2 position on some of my other rifles. I like both.

The light is a non issue when using the optic but does make for a crowded view when using the irons.  Doesn't block the post but may bother some people.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 7:53:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

That's good info because I have that same Eotech and also got a X300U I could use. I didn't think about the light obstructing the optic. Thanks!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. It's a perfect set up

Link Posted: 4/10/2014 10:02:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

There's a kydex press in the upper right hand corner of his picture so I bet its a home brew.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is indeed a home brew.  I had someone request a triple mag carrier, so I made him one.  It was actually very comfortable and wore just like a traditional double.  The paint job is just krylon patterned on using a piece of cardboard that I ripped with a jagged edge.  Back on topic now...

I don't have any issues with barrel shadow in the training I have done, as the shadow has been directly underneath the gun when shouldered anyways.  As far as a traditional light at the 10/2 position, like someone else said, no additional mounts, and the light activation seems more intuitive to me using one of the pistol lights.  My thumb rides between the BUIS and the light, then to activate the light I either click down or hold down the rocker switch.  I also use a X300 in the same manner on a different rifle for the same reasons.  I do not have any personal experience with the Haley Strategic thorntail mounts though, so that might be something to look into in the future.

Mike
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 7:49:06 AM EDT
[#23]
10" rail on 11.5 barrel

DSC_3291 by The Dorsal Fin, on Flickr
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 9:41:40 AM EDT
[#24]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd386/plikatok/Sig%20516%20CQB/null_zps536deec8.jpg

OK I don't want to be a nervous Nellie here but I am building a pistol and was told no VFG unless it was longer than 26" OAL.  Is yours stamped? I assume not due to the pistol brace but am just learning here.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 8:40:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

OK I don't want to be a nervous Nellie here but I am building a pistol and was told no VFG unless it was longer than 26" OAL.  Is yours stamped? I assume not due to the pistol brace but am just learning here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd386/plikatok/Sig%20516%20CQB/null_zps536deec8.jpg

You are correct about the 26" OAL. Mine happens to have the KAK super buffer tube which is longer than your standard M4 tube. The buffer tube is an integral part of the gun and as such, counts towards OAL. With a 10.5" barrel, mine measures over 26" from the tip of the buffer tube to the end of the barrel crown (I don't count the muzzle brake towards OAL).

I like showing this picture because a lot of fellow gun owners have the same kind of reaction as you - most have the presumption of guilt before doing their own research. Having these discussions is the most effective way to inform each other of what is, and what is not, ehem, legal.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 8:27:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
10" rail on 11.5 barrel

<a href="https://flic.kr/p/n3zayN" target="_blank">https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7008/13812595994_bdac4659e6_b.jpg</a>DSC_3291 by The Dorsal Fin, on Flickr
View Quote

Nice and thanks for posting the pic!
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 3:59:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

You are correct about the 26" OAL. Mine happens to have the KAK super buffer tube which is longer than your standard M4 tube. The buffer tube is an integral part of the gun and as such, counts towards OAL. With a 10.5" barrel, mine measures over 26" from the tip of the buffer tube to the end of the barrel crown (I don't count the muzzle brake towards OAL).

I like showing this picture because a lot of fellow gun owners have the same kind of reaction as you - most have the presumption of guilt before doing their own research. Having these discussions is the most effective way to inform each other of what is, and what is not, ehem, legal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just trying to look out for a brother in arms.  Nice set up. I am just more aware of pistols right now because I am building one myself and learning as I go.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 1:30:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Here's another 10" rail with 11.5" barrel

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 8:30:32 AM EDT
[#29]
That appears to be the MI rail?  Could you tell me exactly how long it is from front to back?  My 12" for instance is just a hair under 12.5".  I'm looking for a 10" rail to go on a 10.5" barrel ar pistol (to be SBR'd) that also lets me work the lock ring for a Specwar.  I think I'm going to end up with a Seekins MCSR just in case there's a little overlap but I like the MI rails I have on my other systems.   I'm trying to get a monolithic appearance with the rail and can without a gap between them.

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 8:27:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Well this weekend I installed a new SLR Solo Lite 10" rail on my SBR and placed my SF X300U at the 12 o'clock. This is just what I was looking for in a mounting position. The light had some wiggle on the rail but a small piece of rubber gasket stopped that. Wasn't sure if it was the rail or the SF light but I'm going with the light since the rail is top notch. I did try my TRL-1HL but the bezel was to large and unbstructed way to much of my sight picture. I didn't have my TRL-1 handy to compare or try so I just went with the SF light. I'll post some pics up tomorrow of the updated SBR and light configuration.

Thanks guys for posting all the advice and pics!

Kirch
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 9:05:20 PM EDT
[#31]

So the real question is, how many of you are DARC grads.

I know a LOT of people that run this set up after class (es) there.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 11:01:47 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

That appears to be the MI rail?  Could you tell me exactly how long it is from front to back?  My 12" for instance is just a hair under 12.5".  I'm looking for a 10" rail to go on a 10.5" barrel ar pistol (to be SBR'd) that also lets me work the lock ring for a Specwar.  I think I'm going to end up with a Seekins MCSR just in case there's a little overlap but I like the MI rails I have on my other systems.   I'm trying to get a monolithic appearance with the rail and can without a gap between them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'm deployed right now, and don't have access to my rifle.

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:14:57 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What are the safeties for an unknown guided missile?

I was class 10-330S.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:36:37 AM EDT
[#34]
It's an ideal light position if you don't need to run an indicator.  11.5" bbl, with 10.75" URX..really great ambi setup and especially helpful in structures/vehicles when you're around a corner and a 3/9 o'clock mounted light would be obstructed by a barrier.  I've used the TLR and now x300 Ultra with only good things to say.

I would however suggest the use of a fixed front sight to shore up the TLR/x300 mount.  That's the one negative of this setup and I've seen them shear from a front impact to the light.  If you can get a folding front sight to butt up against the rear of the light...I guess that works too, but I prefer fixed as it provides great surface area for support.  The DD fixed front is contoured especially for use with these lights.

You will have to adjust your support grip a bit (more vertical) so your support thumb can get to the push/rocker.

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:43:04 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stay safe man!  I've got two buddies on base/deployed and I get requests all the time to go visit their safes and take pics for them lol.  Guns and dogs are sorely missed
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:29:04 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
It's an ideal light position if you don't need to run an indicator.  11.5" bbl, with 10.75" URX..really great ambi setup and especially helpful in structures when you're around a corner and a 3/9 o'clock mounted light would be obstructed by a barrier.  I've used the TLR and now x300 Ultra with only good things to say.

I would however suggest the use of a fixed front sight to shore up the TLR/x300 mount.  That's the one negative of this setup and I've seen them shear from a front impact to the light.  If you can get a folding front sight to butt up against the rear of the light...I guess that works too, but I prefer fixed as it provides great surface area for support.  The DD fixed front is contoured especially for use with these lights.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3683/10729858023_21d35d1743_c.jpg
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3715/10769526175_48884944ab_c.jpg

You will have to adjust your support grip a bit (more vertical) so your support thumb can get to the push/rocker.
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7387/10742653203_52e6578a61_c.jpg
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7328/12892314643_b3e8c94397_c.jpg
View Quote

Nice rifle and thanks for the write up!
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 12:10:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's an ideal light position if you don't need to run an indicator.  11.5" bbl, with 10.75" URX..really great ambi setup and especially helpful in structures when you're around a corner and a 3/9 o'clock mounted light would be obstructed by a barrier.  I've used the TLR and now x300 Ultra with only good things to say.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3683/10729858023_21d35d1743_c.jpg
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3715/10769526175_48884944ab_c.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7387/10742653203_52e6578a61_c.jpg
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7328/12892314643_b3e8c94397_c.jpg

Anytime!  Just my random thoughts, worth what you paid for em
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 12:21:45 PM EDT
[#38]
For me. I really like it, but when using the battlecomp it fouls up the light pretty bad. I am not sure if it wouldn't be so bad with a traditional brake like surefires or the aac 51t or just using an A2 FH. I feel like having a shorter rail would negate the issue some though. I'm using an 11" rail and an 11.5" bbl so a 10" rail would likely be better.

I also noticed 193 ammo makes quite a huge fireball where 223 ammo doesn't. even m196 and 855 didn't make as much of a visible fireball as the 193 ammo.

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 12:32:09 PM EDT
[#39]
If you haven't tried it, put toothpaste on the lens before you shoot the SBR.  At the end of the day at the range/on shift/etc.  just wipe the lens off.  Much easier to clean/maintain that way
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 12:42:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Suns out guns out!

New rail and gas block installed along with new light configuration. The bezel is a little far forward for my liking but my support is trained to index the rail right at the switches on the X300. I've got some Noveske keymod panels with handstops coming for the 6 o'clock. Great set up and I really dig the light right at the 12. Far better than 3 or 9 o'clock. The X300 doesn't ubstruck my sight picture one bit with either sighting system on the rifle. The SLR rail is top notch and a better choice than the Troy quad rail which use to sit on this rifle.

I need to find a low light tactical 2-Gun match to test out this upset.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 12:53:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
For me. I really like it, but when using the battlecomp it fouls up the light pretty bad. I am not sure if it wouldn't be so bad with a traditional brake like surefires or the aac 51t or just using an A2 FH. I feel like having a shorter rail would negate the issue some though. I'm using an 11" rail and an 11.5" bbl so a 10" rail would likely be better.

I also noticed 193 ammo makes quite a huge fireball where 223 ammo doesn't. even m196 and 855 didn't make as much of a visible fireball as the 193 ammo.
<a href="http://s1201.photobucket.com/user/sabroso1/media/6F16D42C-D30B-4464-B712-FA0997077706_zpstba0hd3o.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb358/sabroso1/6F16D42C-D30B-4464-B712-FA0997077706_zpstba0hd3o.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s1201.photobucket.com/user/sabroso1/media/1A1D1EB3-6147-4C34-8B06-1B28F4AB34B2_zpslen6zeke.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb358/sabroso1/1A1D1EB3-6147-4C34-8B06-1B28F4AB34B2_zpslen6zeke.jpg</a>

http://youtu.be/CLCnqpdN7as

View Quote

Drew,

How's the muzzle blast on your set up? Do you feel any effects as the shooter? Also how many rounds of blast has your SF absorbed?

My 3-Gun AR has a Titan break on it and while shooting I don't feel a thing but when standing next to it or even close by the concussion from the blast sucks. Most 3-Gunners get use to it or know kinda where to stand. Curious to see if barrel lenght plays into what the shooter will feel with these type of muzzle devices.

Thanks,
Kirch
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 1:14:44 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

If you haven't tried it, put toothpaste on the lens before you shoot the SBR.  At the end of the day at the range/on shift/etc.  just wipe the lens off.  Much easier to clean/maintain that way
View Quote
Yea that's what I normally do.

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 1:19:37 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Drew,

How's the muzzle blast on your set up? Do you feel any effects as the shooter? Also how many rounds of blast has your SF absorbed?

My 3-Gun AR has a Titan break on it and while shooting I don't feel a thing but when standing next to it or even close by the concussion from the blast sucks. Most 3-Gunners get use to it or know kinda where to stand. Curious to see if barrel lenght plays into what the shooter will feel with these type of muzzle devices.

Thanks,

Kirch

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

<a href="http://s1201.photobucket.com/user/sabroso1/media/6F16D42C-D30B-4464-B712-FA0997077706_zpstba0hd3o.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb358/sabroso1/6F16D42C-D30B-4464-B712-FA0997077706_zpstba0hd3o.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s1201.photobucket.com/user/sabroso1/media/1A1D1EB3-6147-4C34-8B06-1B28F4AB34B2_zpslen6zeke.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb358/sabroso1/1A1D1EB3-6147-4C34-8B06-1B28F4AB34B2_zpslen6zeke.jpg</a>

http://youtu.be/CLCnqpdN7as

Drew,

Thanks,

Kirch

You feel a little bit when indoors. Not really anything too big of a deal. Standing next to it you can definitely feel it.

The light has about 300 rounds on it from the sbr. It's actually at surefire right now because the lens was wiggling a little in the housing. Idk if it was from the sbr or being on my M&P 45c. The 45c fouls the light up quite a bit as well. I don't even know how many rounds of 45 and 9mm the light has from being used on pistols.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 5:09:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Yes sir, damn diet coke and death metal PTSD!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top