Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Tacked SBR FAQ (Page 25 of 26)
Page / 26
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 12:42:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Getting ready to do my first form 1 and had a couple questions. I've read that overall or total length is with the stock extended. I'm trying to come up with a number for a 12.5" barrel out of my DDm4 with the DD buttstock. Would measuring it in its 16" form and taking 3.5" off the total be what you would do?

Also, on the engraving being the city "where it is constructed"...does this city have to be where you live or at all related to the location of the trust? I was thinking, as i dont plan on staying in my present city too long, it might be cool to drive over to, say, Rifle, CO to "construct" it once my stamp comes in, just so the gun says "RIFLE CO" on it, or some other town. Silly, but still wondered as i didnt want it to come back to haunt me later as I have never and will never likely live there.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 12:59:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BigWaylon] [#2]
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 1:47:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: branflake12] [#3]
Thanks BW, I foresee a road trip to Rifle at some point

ETA: used your guide. 20 minutes start to finish on my first form 1.

Day 1
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 12:54:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quick help on Form 1 Serial number!

Spike's Crusader lower:  Serial number has a "DV" then a space, then the numbers.  Do I need to include the "DV" and "space" in the serial number on the form???

Thank you!
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 2:07:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BigWaylon] [#5]
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 4:26:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes, except mine is on the bottom below the model.

Thank you!

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BigWaylon:

DV...yes
Space...no

Similar to this, but with DW instead of NSL?

http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx151/thegreghorton/Mobile%20Uploads/929F953C-3BBD-4490-A3CE-9A780D56A423_zpss7igmwgf.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By smitty_007:

Spike's Crusader lower:  Serial number has a "DV" then a space, then the numbers.  Do I need to include the "DV" and "space" in the serial number on the form???

Thank you!

DV...yes
Space...no

Similar to this, but with DW instead of NSL?

http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx151/thegreghorton/Mobile%20Uploads/929F953C-3BBD-4490-A3CE-9A780D56A423_zpss7igmwgf.jpg

Link Posted: 7/12/2016 4:54:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Another quick question!  Having to go the paper route...do I have to send in Form 5330.20?  I wasn't told to do that for my eForm application but just saw it listed at the end of the arfcom thread for filling out the Form 1?!?!

Also, if I'm paying by check do I have to fill out the spot in Section 17 where it says, "I am paying the making Tax for the applicant:". Gives space for a name (my trust?) and then a total amount field next to it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 9:52:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AZ_SBR] [#8]
Can anyone confirm that the ATF will accept Livescan fingerprints on FBI FD-258LE cards that do not have the ATF-NATL TRA CTR stamp in the ORI field? In other words, the ones they send you by mail with their info already stamped on them. I'm not sure how to get around this as my local Livescan source says they must use blank FBI FD-258LE cards to start with. So I am unable to use the pre-stamped blank cards the ATF sends.

ETA: Received an email response back from ATF and the answer is Yes.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 11:32:12 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm planning on building an SBR, but I'm crossed up as far as the engraving part goes. I got the form for submitting to get a tax stamp and this is for individual and not a trust. So do I have to do the engraving onto it and will I need to take the tax stamp document with me wherever I take the SBR.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 8:38:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 9:32:04 AM EDT
[#11]
No, my name isn't actually Waylon
View All Quotes
No, my name isn't actually Waylon

Originally Posted By Fatboi28:
So do I have to do the engraving onto it and will I need to take the tax stamp document with me wherever I take the SBR.

If you're traveling within your state, I don't think you HAVE to have the stamp with you, but It is a safe bet to make copies of the stamp, put them in the gun case, range bag, etc. to have with you because some ranges are picky and may require that you show them the stamp, which I would imagine should only fall within the realm of private ranges with a designated RSO, but some people can be weird at ranges.

However, if you are entering another state with that weapon, you will need a different form approved (5320.20) to have permission to cross state lines. This form only costs time and a stamp, but is still necessary. I was informed by an ATF agent that this form is also necessary if you are traveling to a destination within your home/ approved state, but must go outside of its borders into another and then back into it. West Virginia's Eastern panhandle is a good geographical example of this. I can forward that email to you if you wish to have it.

My advice is to make a couple copies of the approved stamp, put the original in a safe/ lock box/ somewhere you ain't gonna lose it. and Put the copies in various items that travel to the range with you or with the weapon.

He, who is not actually named Waylon should correct anything if I've posted any erroneous information, but to my knowledge, this is your safest bet.

Link Posted: 9/15/2016 9:56:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 10:00:24 AM EDT
[#13]

It wouldn't surprise me to hear an ATF agent say that, but it's not the law. The 5320.20 is for the destination state (including an overnight stop). FOPA is supposed to protect you for the travel portion.

If you were to fill one out for passing through a state to re-enter your state, what address are you even going to put on the form in the "To" field?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MrFrZZ:
However, if you are entering another state with that weapon, you will need a different form approved (5320.20) to have permission to cross state lines. This form only costs time and a stamp, but is still necessary. I was informed by an ATF agent that this form is also necessary if you are traveling to a destination within your home/ approved state, but must go outside of its borders into another and then back into it. West Virginia's Eastern panhandle is a good geographical example of this. I can forward that email to you if you wish to have it.

It wouldn't surprise me to hear an ATF agent say that, but it's not the law. The 5320.20 is for the destination state (including an overnight stop). FOPA is supposed to protect you for the travel portion.

If you were to fill one out for passing through a state to re-enter your state, what address are you even going to put on the form in the "To" field?

I was checking for a member here. We were having a shoot at a range that is beside my house, but he has to go up into Maryland and then back down into WV.
IM inbound
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 11:36:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Alright thanks guys big time help and info appreciated
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 11:45:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Oh yeah one more question. The barrel length,what should I put,what if I put down dimensions for a 8 in barrel but want to utilize a 10 1/2 or 11 1/2 later.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 12:07:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 8:16:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: my2Dogs] [#17]
I am going to fill out a form one for a PSA 9mm,  has anyone done this and what did you use for 4D? is there a step by step guide like mr gunsngear has on YT?

I didnt see anything post efile in this thread....

also where do you get fingerprint cards or the live scan done?
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 9:22:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BigWaylon] [#18]
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 10:39:50 PM EDT
[#19]
thank you BW!
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 8:59:53 AM EDT
[#20]

Originally Posted By smitty_007:

Thank you!
View Quote
I have the same question, what if mine says SN then a space, then numbers? Do I include SN? My Form 1 just got approved without the SN and only has numbers.

Link Posted: 10/9/2016 5:36:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 4:06:23 PM EDT
[#22]
I have 4-5 Lowers in NFA Jail at the moment. I went with 10.5 inch barrels on each of them in different calibers. I have not purchased the uppers for any of them. The lowers are currently stripped as well.

A few quick questions.

When storing said NFA items do I HAVE to have the upper stored on said NFA item?

When purchasing new uppers lets say 7.5 inch or something smaller or larger than the original noted length when applying for the tax stamp can I use them on said NFA SBR approved Lowers? Can they be stored assembled with different uppers?

Is the same true for different calibers?  I.e. If I have a NFA lower that was noted to be 5.56 and use .223 or 6.5 Grendel upper on that NFA lower that is of any length is that legal?

Do I always have to keep the upper in the same length (as in keep and not sell) that I applied for the NFA Lower with?

How long do I have once the NFA items are approved to get the items engraved?
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 7:24:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 10:49:58 PM EDT
[#24]
On the new Form 1, in box 4A, I have a M92 yugo pistol. What are you guys putting in there? Zastava Arms Kragujevec,Serbia and Century Arms Internatinal and which address? The gun has Georgia VT stamped on it but Centrury is based out of Florida. Help a brother out...trying to keep this Form 1 from getting bounced back.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 4:35:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 4:48:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sovaprepper] [#26]
Will the PDF in the original post here be updated with the post 41f steps for a form 1? I want to file a couple more but all my form 1 experience is pre 41f using the eform system.  I'll be filing with a trust, with 3 responsible persons other than myself. I'm pretty sure I'll miss those drop down menus for caliber and manufacturers. Are the links and numbers to get forms still correct?

ETA:  the title II page linked in the OP isn't working for me
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 6:14:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BigWaylon] [#27]
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 6:25:33 PM EDT
[#28]

There is no more eForms for now...so paper is your only option. This sticky may help.

The forms can be saved/printed in PDF format from atf.gov, or you can order paper copies from them.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sovaprepper:
Will the PDF in the original post here be updated with the post 41f steps for a form 1? I want to file a couple more but all my form 1 experience is pre 41f using the eform system.  I'll be filing with a trust, with 3 responsible persons other than myself. I'm pretty sure I'll miss those drop down menus for caliber and manufacturers. Are the links and numbers to get forms still correct?

ETA:  the title II page linked in the OP isn't working for me

There is no more eForms for now...so paper is your only option. This sticky may help.

The forms can be saved/printed in PDF format from atf.gov, or you can order paper copies from them.

Thanks bigwaylon, I knew eform was over was just trying to find the forms but I found your post in the general NFA section and ordered some of the form 1 packets and extra print cards
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 4:51:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quick question;

Can I deliver the CLEO copy once I get my stamp back or do I have to make CLEO notification as soon as I mail form1 to ATF? I was planning on hand delivering the CLEO copy so I can hand it to someone get their name and know they rec'd it.

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 5:29:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 9:45:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Well I kinda work at the same place I have to make notification

And without certified letter there's a chance that it may not make it to the right person/s. That being said I really doubt I would be denied since I'm a LEADS user.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 5:16:02 PM EDT
[#32]
I have a question regarding how many Form 1s to fill out, how many should be sent to the BATF, and how many should be sent to my CLEO.

I ordered three Form 1 packets from the BATF, along with three Certificate of Compliance Forms, and six fingerprint cards.

I noticed that each Form 1 seems to be divided into three sections, ATF Copy, ATF Copy 2 - To Be Returned To Registrant, and CLEO Copy.

Do I tear the 'CLEO Copy' portion at the perforated lines and send that portion to my CLEO, then mail the two 'ATF Copy' portions to the ATF and call that good?

Or, do I send one complete Form 1 to my CLEO, and two complete Form 1s to the ATF?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 5:32:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BigWaylon] [#33]
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 6:56:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jalap-inya] [#34]

I've never ordered them, always printed them from ATF.gov. Do they come as a triplicate form where you tear off copies? Is the CLEO Copy redacted as it should be? (No pic, no SN, etc)

It's the two forms labeled ATF Copy to the ATF, and CLEO Copy to CLEO.

And you have no need for the Cert of Comp form, whether you're filing as an individual or entity. Those questions are incorporated into the current (and also previous) versions of the F1/F4.
View Quote

It looks as though they're triplicate form, every page is perforated.

ATF Copy has sections 1-17.

ATF Copy 2 and CLEO Copy have sections 1-16, CLEO Copy does not require serial number, but it does have the box in which you put the photo.

Also, thanks for letting me know about the Cert of Comp form.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 7:41:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: highrailjon] [#35]
A rifle I'm designing would have a length from collapsed buttstock to muzzle tip of 33". If I read the regs right, it's longer then the minimum 26". With that said, do I still need to be concerned about the barrel being 16"? The barrel and muzzle brake I want come to a length of 15.5".
Thanks for any help!
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 9:20:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 6:29:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Quarterbore:
Yes, you can consider a Corp to be a person and to my knowledge a Corp can do anything an individual can.  Ownership of Ms, AOWs, and SBRs included.
View Quote

Are there any advantages or drawbacks to a corp vs. a trust? Maybe in terms of liability or taxes?
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 11:49:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Do guns have to be assembled once the stamp has arrived?

For example, I get my stamp but for whatever reason I end up sitting on an engraved, stripped receiver?
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:38:54 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By splunkinoob:
Do guns have to be assembled once the stamp has arrived?

For example, I get my stamp but for whatever reason I end up sitting on an engraved, stripped receiver?
View Quote

No, not in the slightest
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:47:14 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 3:09:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Form 1, Individual: 3b/4h/engraving question.

If 3b reads "Russell Kurt Brand" can 4h and the engraving read "Russ Brand" or "Russ K. Brand" or does it all have to match? If it all needs to match, can I simply put "Russell Brand" in 3b?
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 3:17:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 6:22:20 PM EDT
[#43]
My 3b line was asking for my full mailing address:

Never heard of that having to be engraved

So for my first sbr
Do I

"full name of trust"

County state    (fully spelled no comma?)
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 7:42:21 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By HDDcrasher:
My 3b line was asking for my full mailing address:

Never heard of that having to be engraved

So for my first sbr
Do I

"full name of trust"

County state    (fully spelled no comma?)
View Quote
Full Name of Trust
City, State
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 10:53:04 AM EDT
[#45]
I have read over and over again that you don't need to engrave your lower unless/until you plan to sell it.  The last thing I read about this, from TTAG stated the response was directly from the ATF.

Crazy or truth?
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:48:56 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:53:17 AM EDT
[#47]

Crazy. There seems to be a several lacking of "truth" from TTAG.

The regulations say nothing about engraving only for selling...they simply state the maker has to mark the firearm.
View Quote
Thanks, BW...Has anyone called the ATF to confirm TTAG is wrong?
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:21:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BigWaylon] [#48]
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:59:50 PM EDT
[#49]

Not me, because the regulations are clear. I'm sure some number of people have called and/or written letters.

You can call the ATF, talk to a dozen people, and get at least a half-dozen different answers.

They issued a ruling a couple years ago to clarify engraving requirements (and quoted the existing regs), and never said anything about it being only required if selling the firearm.
View Quote
Good to know!  Guess I'll find someone to do the engraving.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 10:35:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NineMMAR15] [#50]
I have owned several SBR's over the years. I am currently down to the one I originally form 1ed years ago. It is a 10" RRA LAR 9mm. This rifle features the removable mag well block, and for that reason I sent the ATF a letter that I intended on used different caliber uppers. They sent a letter back thanking me for keeping them updated and it would be noted. Fast forward to recently, I purchased a 10.5" 223 upper for that build however I have a few other complete lowers that are not SBR, and are awaiting standard 16" + uppers. Would it be considered constructive possession having a 10" upper in the same proximity of a non SBR lower despite that uppers legitimate use with the SBR lower? Under no circumstance would I ever install that 10.5" upper on one of my non SBR lowers! I have since decided to store those complete lowers with a trusted friend until I can get uppers for them.
Page / 26
Tacked SBR FAQ (Page 25 of 26)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top