BCM
User Panel

Tacked SBR FAQ (Page 23 of 26)
Page / 26
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 2:35:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BigWaylon:

Answered what I could. Based on your questions, it seems like your filing on paper. I'd recommend using EForms for this. Should be faster, and some of the questions are answered for you. See the Visual Guide sticky for any help you may need.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BigMikeDFW:
Hey all first timer here prepping to do SBR submission on a AR Pistol.

Just want to be clear on these items:

3a. (Trade Name) I don't beileve this applies. all if my paper forms and EForms have trust name in 3a. I evidently put it there on the paper forms, but EForms automatically populates it with the Licensee/Permittee name you supply...leave it blank when using EForms)

3b. This should be the exact name of trust and the address of it (being my home address) yes

4b. "SBR" should be ok? Or does it need to be written out "Short Barrel Rifle" I spelled it out on paper, and the selection in EForms is also spelled out[/url]

8. My name, printed with "Settlor of TRUST NAME" ?[red]name with whatever title you need...grantor, settler, trustee[/url]

Also, I have a 7.5 Diplomat therefore using the chart here 26" should be the extended length?[red]I don't know this one for sure. Barrel + 19" is a decent estimate.

Answered what I could. Based on your questions, it seems like your filing on paper. I'd recommend using EForms for this. Should be faster, and some of the questions are answered for you. See the Visual Guide sticky for any help you may need.

I didn't know the eForm was back up but apprently was 3 days ago!

Thank you for the instructions link and the answers!
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 8:28:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Can I use an 80% lower I finished at home if I put a serial# on it? If I can use it are there any rules as to the serialization? It will be under a trust.
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 8:48:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlabamaPaul] [#3]

Originally Posted By DamascusKnifemaker:

Can I use an 80% lower I finished at home if I put a serial# on it? If I can use it are there any rules as to the serialization? It will be under a trust.
View Quote
Yes, as long as you follow all  marking requirements...

Section 7.4 The identification of firearms.

7.4.1 Serial numbers. Each manufacturer of a firearm must legibly identify it by engraving, stamping

(impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing on the firearm’s frame or receiver an individual serial

number not duplicating any serial number placed by the manufacturer on any other firearm. The

requirement that the marking be "conspicuously” placed on the firearm means that the marking must be

wholly unobstructed from plain view. For firearms manufactured on or after January 30, 2002, the serial

number must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch and in a print size no smaller than 1/16 inch.

7.4.1.1 What is an acceptable serial number? Alpha characters (letters), for example a name,

are not acceptable as a serial number. A proper serial number may contain such characters or

letters, but it must have at least one numeric character (number). ATF takes the view that

marking "legibly” means using exclusively Roman letters (A, B, C, and so forth) and Arabic

numerals (1, 2, 3, and so forth). Deviations from this requirement have been found to

seriously impair ATF’s ability to trace firearms involved in crime.

7.4.2 Additional information. Certain additional information must also be conspicuously placed on

the frame, receiver, or barrel of the firearm by engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), that is, they

must be placed in such a manner that they are wholly unobstructed from plain view. For firearms

manufactured on or after January 30, 2002, this information must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch.

The additional information includes:

(1) The model, if such designation has been made;

(2) The caliber or gauge;

(3) The manufacturer’s name (or recognized abbreviation); and

(4) The city and State (or recognized abbreviation) where the manufacturer maintains its place

of business.

7.4.3 Measuring the depth of markings. The depth of all markings is measured from the flat surface

of the metal and not the peaks or ridges. The height of serial numbers is measured as the distance

between the latitudinal ends of the character impression bottoms (bases).

Link Posted: 7/17/2014 1:09:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BlueHaya] [#4]
I have been looking in search...but never found an exact answer.....

I have a San Tan lower I am doing my first "build" with and going the SBR route

The  lower is sold as a multi caliber...but it does not list multi or any other cailber anywhere on the lower.  I know i have to engrave the lower with my maker name and location.  Does it have to have the caliber on the lower as well?
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 1:57:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By BlueHaya:

The  lower is sold as a multi caliber...but it does not list multi or any other cailber anywhere on the lower.  I know i have to engrave the lower with my maker name and location.  Does it have to have the caliber on the lower as well?
View Quote

Two things:
1. Make sure to declare a caliber on the Form 1, as "multi" isn't acceptable
2. The firearm must be marked with caliber, but that is usually handled with the barrel being marked
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 2:52:44 PM EDT
[#6]

Two things:
2. The firearm must be marked with caliber, but that is usually handled with the barrel being marked
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BlueHaya:

Two things:

When I did my form 1 I entered 5.56.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:27:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Sorry if this has been answered...

If I have a rifle lower that I am awaiting a stamp for, plus other complete AR-style lowers that may or may not be part of complete rifles at the moment, am I allowed to "take control" of a NFA regulated upper? Basically, can I store the lower that will eventually be a stamped SBR with the SBR upper while awaiting the stamp and never assmble them together?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:08:20 PM EDT
[#8]

Originally Posted By GTRider245:

Sorry if this has been answered...

If I have a rifle lower that I am awaiting a stamp for, plus other complete AR-style lowers that may or may not be part of complete rifles at the moment, am I allowed to "take control" of a NFA regulated upper? Basically, can I store the lower that will eventually be a stamped SBR with the SBR upper while awaiting the stamp and never assmble them together?
View Quote
No, unless you have a pistol lower available to the short upper...

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:18:06 PM EDT
[#9]
If I have a "5.56" marked lower receiver that I want to SBR and use a 10.5" 300 BLK upper on, am I correct that I register as "300 BLK" as caliber on the Form 1?
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:30:49 PM EDT
[#10]

Originally Posted By AR_Shorty:

If I have a "5.56" marked lower receiver that I want to SBR and use a 10.5" 300 BLK upper on, am I correct that I register as "300 BLK" as caliber on the Form 1?
View Quote
Yes, no problem, but only put 300 on the form and leave off the BLK...

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:33:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By AlabamaPaul:
View All Quotes

Good to know about leaving off the "BLK".  Thank you!
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 12:55:08 PM EDT
[#12]
View All Quotes

Mine just came back approved with the caliber listed as 300BLK. May have slipped through or was a new Examiner.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:47:07 PM EDT
[#13]
I asked this in another thread but I'll ask again here. I'm about the efile, when you log into the ATF site, there's a disclaimer about how you give them permission to view your computer as well as any other computer in your network and essentially, you can't expect any privacy if you accept. No, I don't have anything to hide but am I being too paranoid about this?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 4:53:27 PM EDT
[#14]

Originally Posted By Riddle:

I asked this in another thread but I'll ask again here. I'm about the efile, when you log into the ATF site, there's a disclaimer about how you give them permission to view your computer as well as any other computer in your network and essentially, you can't expect any privacy if you accept. No, I don't have anything to hide but am I being too paranoid about this?
View Quote
Yes, you're being a bit paranoid.  On websites I develop, I log the ip address and other relevant information of all computers that connect...

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 4:22:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Yes, you're being a bit paranoid.  On websites I develop, I log the ip address and other relevant information of all computers that connect...  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Riddle:

that's standard verbiage on any government operated application that may receive connections via network.  technically your browser connects to their network for html content.  this does not at all mean their system can somehow see anything on your home network or even your laptop (maybe... hehehehe j/k)

it's a non-issue, just don't try to do any hacker nonsense to their site.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 3:54:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Hey folks, need a little help. I've got a fair amount of suppressors but now I'm getting into the SBR world.  2 that I want to do, one is fairly straight fwd, I want to build a 300blk on a new receiver (never registered). Thats pretty straight forward.  The next one, I have a Scar enroute (16" barrel) that I want to send to ADCO and get shortened to 12.5..  How/can I SBR it?  Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 4:28:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Chaingunzz:
The next one, I have a Scar enroute (16" barrel) that I want to send to ADCO and get shortened to 12.5..  How/can I SBR it?  Thanks in advance
View Quote

It's just as simple. File an F1. When it's approved, get the barrel shortened.

On the first one, with a stripped lower, you'll use the Manufacturer info, Model and Serial Number already engraved. You'll then supply the caliber, barrel length and OAL you're going with. You'll do the same thing with the SCAR.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 5:25:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Appreciate it!!  Guess I was making it harder that it was.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 2:04:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: eviljoe] [#19]
Two years ago, I bought a BCM lower by itself.  No stock came with it, but it's only been used as a 14.5" Carbine.  
However, I DON'T know how the gunstore recorded it in the database--is it safe to assume this can be used as the basis for an SBR?  
ONLY if they recorded it as a "pistol" would that be a problem, right?

(This gunstore DOES a lot of SBRs and stuff, so they know what they're doing.)
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:50:59 AM EDT
[#20]

Originally Posted By eviljoe:

Two years ago, I bought a BCM lower by itself.  No stock came with it, but it's only been used as a 14.5" Carbine.  

However, I DON'T know how the gunstore recorded it in the database--is it safe to assume this can be used as the basis for an SBR?  

ONLY if they recorded it as a "pistol" would that be a problem, right?

(This gunstore DOES a lot of SBRs and stuff, so they know what they're doing.)
View Quote
It should have been  listed as "Other", but it doesn't matter how the FFL listed it on the 4473.  There is no problem making a pistol into a SBR...

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:10:39 PM EDT
[#21]
QUESTION

I understand doing a Form 1 and then building your SBR, but how do you go about buying an SBR from, for example, SIG or say Colt?
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:13:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By borat:
QUESTION

I understand doing a Form 1 and then building your SBR, but how do you go about buying an SBR from, for example, SIG or say Colt?
View Quote

Find one in stock (or for sale by an individual) and have it transferred on a Form 4. Same process as buying a suppressor. Local Class 3 dealer could also order you one on a Form 3, just like a can.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:25:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks BW!
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 9:11:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Probably addressed somewhere here, but can't find it

On the "forms" upload page for the Eform, do I need to upload anything?  I'm submitting as a person, not a trust.

Fingerprints and photo's still get sent in via mail, correct?
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 9:43:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By NotIssued:

On the "forms" upload page for the Eform, do I need to upload anything?  I'm submitting as a person, not a trust.

View Quote

You can't file an eForm as an individual. It's in big bold yellow font at the top of the Visual Guide.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 10:12:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NotIssued] [#26]

You can't file an eForm as an individual. It's in big bold yellow font at the top of the Visual Guide.
View All Quotes

Hmmm.... apparently I missed the visual guide.

Good thing I haven't hit submit or pay yet. Guess I'll poke around that site more. It seemed too easy.

Edit ... where's the "Visual Guide?"  I haven't seen anything in big yellow letters.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 10:18:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Edit ... where's the "Visual Guide?"  I haven't seen anything in big yellow letters.
View Quote

It's a sticky in the General Class 3 subforum: Visual guide
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 10:21:17 PM EDT
[#28]

View All Quotes

Thanks.  Wish this was cross posted to the OP on this thread too.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 9:39:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By tony_k:

That's not spelled out in the regs. I reccommend using both initials (first and middle) if you don't want to spell out your first name.

Also, you don't need to use periods or commas, unless dropping them might cause confusion (like A L vs. Al).

So an acceptable engraving would be:
G W Bush
Washington DC
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tony_k:
Originally Posted By Assaulter:
Can you use your Initial for your first name?  Example: "G. Bush" Washington D.C.

That's not spelled out in the regs. I reccommend using both initials (first and middle) if you don't want to spell out your first name.

Also, you don't need to use periods or commas, unless dropping them might cause confusion (like A L vs. Al).

So an acceptable engraving would be:
G W Bush
Washington DC

Since the quoted post is 6 years old and BATFE likes to change their mind, I'll ask again. For an individual I think I can just engrave:

E J Mylastname
Mytown, NH

Is that correct?

Link Posted: 2/22/2015 10:07:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By eric496:
Since the quoted post is 6 years old and BATFE likes to change their mind, I'll ask again. For an individual I think I can just engrave:

E J Mylastname
Mytown, NH

Is that correct?
View Quote

I would say the current interpretation by the ATF is that's not acceptable. The requirements say name (or recognized abbreviation). The best explanation I've found is here.

Personally, though...I've always been of the opinion that if you could show that you put forth the effort to have your firearm engraved, no agent would ever hassle you. But there's no actual statute to back that up.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 10:26:13 PM EDT
[#31]

I would say the current interpretation by the ATF is that's not acceptable. The requirements say name (or recognized abbreviation). The best explanation I've found is here.

Personally, though...I've always been of the opinion that if you could show that you put forth the effort to have your firearm engraved, no agent would ever hassle you. But there's no actual statute to back that up.
View All Quotes

E J Mylastname
Mytown, NH

Is that correct?

Thanks! I guess I need to put my full name including middle name to be legal. Hope that all fits on the bottom of the magwell.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 10:45:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Thanks! I guess I need to put my full name including middle name to be legal. Hope that all fits on the bottom of the magwell.
View Quote

I wouldn't worry about middle name. Did you put it on the Form 1?
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 8:39:56 PM EDT
[#33]

View All Quotes

I had to look, but no. Just my middle initial thankfully. So it's my name as on the Form 1 and Mytown, NH. Glad I asked. Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:25:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Got my eforms approved. On the form with the approved tax stamp, do I need to print off the entire thing? Or just the first page?
Think I'll just stuff it inside the grip.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:04:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Thanks everyone who posted helpful hints. I just submitted my first ATF form 1 with my trust documents. The E File sure makes everything seem too easy.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:05:35 AM EDT
[#36]
Can I SBR an 80% lower? It is registered in CT without a serial number
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:21:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BigWaylon] [#37]
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:25:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Thanks for the response. I will look into serializing it. I had to register it with the state of CT because it is a big bad black rifle but it didn't have a serial number on it when I did. Maybe I can add it after the fact. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 8:45:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Are there any guidelines to choosing a SN?
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 9:06:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By SickMAK90:
View Quote

I've never done it, but from what I remember you have to have a number in it.

For example, "FOOD" is not a valid serial number but "F00D" is. I'm sure it can be found in the federal code.
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 10:42:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By GeneralPurpose:

For example, "FOOD" is not a valid serial number but "F00D" is. I'm sure it can be found in the federal code.
View All Quotes

I thought I had to engrave a new SN on an SBR lower but I was wrong, must have seen info on making a form 1 can or something.
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 2:13:13 PM EDT
[#42]

I thought I had to engrave a new SN on an SBR lower but I was wrong, must have seen info on making a form 1 can or something.
View All Quotes

Correct, if the item you're registering already has a serial number, you use that one. If it doesn't, you have to assign a serial number. I thought you were registering an 80% lower you completed.
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 6:30:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BigWaylon] [#43]
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 9:09:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Greetings:

Recently set up my trust, ordered an Omega Suppressor. Now I am ready to form 1 my pistol into an SBR.

As per the FAQ http://quarterbore.com/library/pdf_files/shortbarreledriflefaq.pdf

It says "Where it lists caliber, I would list all you may want to use (within reason i.e. 22, 9mm,
223, 7.62x29 as there is no real requirement currently to list all calibers as with the AR-
15, that would be insane). For "barrel length" and "overall length" on the Form 1, people
have used "less than 16 inches" or "7-15 inches" to allow their SBR paperwork to allow
as many options as possible. "

My question is this still permissible to have a range for barrel length and caliber for upper interchangeability?
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 9:30:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 9:50:14 PM EDT
[#46]

The answer in that FAQ is just begging for a Disapproved Form 1.

List one caliber, one barrel length and one overall length. It should be how you plan to initially build the SBR. After that, it doesn't matter how it's configured.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By edub:
Greetings:

Recently set up my trust, ordered an Omega Suppressor. Now I am ready to form 1 my pistol into an SBR.

As per the FAQ http://quarterbore.com/library/pdf_files/shortbarreledriflefaq.pdf

It says "Where it lists caliber, I would list all you may want to use (within reason i.e. 22, 9mm,
223, 7.62x29 as there is no real requirement currently to list all calibers as with the AR-
15, that would be insane). For "barrel length" and "overall length" on the Form 1, people
have used "less than 16 inches" or "7-15 inches" to allow their SBR paperwork to allow
as many options as possible. "

My question is this still permissible to have a range for barrel length and caliber for upper interchangeability?

The answer in that FAQ is just begging for a Disapproved Form 1.

List one caliber, one barrel length and one overall length. It should be how you plan to initially build the SBR. After that, it doesn't matter how it's configured.

Thank you for the clarification. I am glad I asked!
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 3:21:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Want to do my first SBR.  I have a trust already created.  The SBR will be part of the trust.
What I want to do is add an SU-16C folding stock to a Kel-Tec PLR-16 pistol.
I have the form 1 and using Adobe Typewriter tool to write on the form.  Questions:
Block 2, Since the SBR will be made by the trust put X in "corporation or other legal entity"
Block 3a, the name of our trust "ABCD NFA Trust"
Block 3b, That would be my name and address or Trust name and same address
Block 4a, use Kel-Tec name and address, I put name in with block a and address in block under it.
Block 4b, in the top I wrote "SBR" in the bottom "folding stock installation"
Block 4c, I put "5.56mm NATO" which is what it says on Kel-Tec site.
Block 4d, I put PLR-16
Block 4e, 9.2 (from Kel-Tec site data)
Block 4f, 18.5 (from Kel-Tec site data)
Block 4g, I put the original serial number ABC123 (where should I put the serial number I intend to use if SBR approved)
Block 4h, I put (Addition of folding stock, 28.7" open or 18.7" folded.  Barrel 9.2")
Block 4i, I put (All legal purposes)
Block 4j, I marked NO.
Block 5 and 6 left blank
Block 7, my signature
Block 8, Settlor of ABCD NFA trust
Do I need to complete block 10 with CLEO
Do I need to complete blocks 11-16 as that is part of the qualification of the trust.

Print the whole thing, Print the Trust document (how many copies?) and submit with $200 money order.
Am I missing anything?
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 3:27:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Want to do my first SBR.  I have a trust already created.  The SBR will be part of the trust.
What I want to do is add an SU-16C folding stock to a Kel-Tec PLR-16 pistol.
I have the form 1 and using Adobe Typewriter tool to write on the form.  Questions:
Block 2, Since the SBR will be made by the trust put X in "corporation or other legal entity"
Block 3a, the name of our trust "ABCD NFA Trust"
Block 3b, That would be my name and address or Trust name and same address
Block 4a, use Kel-Tec name and address, I put name in with block a and address in block under it.
Block 4b, in the top I wrote "SBR" in the bottom "folding stock installation"
Block 4c, I put "5.56mm NATO" which is what it says on Kel-Tec site.
Block 4d, I put PLR-16
Block 4e, 9.2 (from Kel-Tec site data)
Block 4f, 18.5 (from Kel-Tec site data)
Block 4g, I put the original serial number ABC123 (where should I put the serial number I intend to use if SBR approved)
Block 4h, I put (Addition of folding stock, 28.7" open or 18.7" folded.  Barrel 9.2")
Block 4i, I put (All legal purposes)
Block 4j, I marked NO.
Block 5 and 6 left blank
Block 7, my signature
Block 8, Settlor of ABCD NFA trust
Do I need to complete block 10 with CLEO
Do I need to complete blocks 11-16 as that is part of the qualification of the trust.

Print the whole thing, Print the Trust document (how many copies?) and submit with $200 money order.
Am I missing anything?
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 3:57:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BigWaylon] [#49]
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 4:18:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Thank you, I went looking for the guides and couldn't find.  Lots of data to sort through and most seemed to be for an individual.  Someone specifically said look for your posts.  So thanks again.
Page / 26
Tacked SBR FAQ (Page 23 of 26)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top