User Panel

Tacked SBR FAQ (Page 26 of 26)
Page / 26
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 12:45:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Hello everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I recently purchased a bunch of polymer lowers and am considering my first from-scratch build to be an SBR and I was going to get an engraver to go ahead and get at least 2 of them done. There is a very small amount of aluminum that is used for structural integrity and a small section of it was left exposed for an engraved S/N. My question is, since there is no metal portion to be engraved, would engraving on the polymer be acceptable as "permanent"? For example "American Tactical Summerville, SC" is embossed into the polymer.

I'll start on getting the required paperwork filled out in the next couple of days and I'm sure I'll have more questions then. This thread has been a great resource to get me started though, so thanks everyone for that.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 11:33:03 PM EDT
[#2]
First off, BigWaylonThanks for all the info on submitting a Form 1, your step by step tutorial is awesome. I'm not sure if this has been answered or even asked, but for question 4d for model, I'm not sure what to put down, I'm using a Sig Sauer M400 lower for my SBR, and there is no "model" designation, other than SIG on the mag well and the sn and manufacturer & city info above the trigger. I know your previous answers have specified to put what is on the lower. Should I leave it blank or should I put down SIG? Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 7:26:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 7:34:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 10:13:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BigWaylon:
I don't have a definite answer on that. The problem is that if you put something in the box, it's supposed to be engraved. So, if you put something there that's not already on the firearm, you'd be responsible for getting it added.

On top of that, it seems the ATF has access to manufacturer info (or maybe just a database of previous info) that has model name. I say that because they often give suggestions when they send out an error letter. So...you might put something down that is different from what they think it should be.

Others may be able to give you a better answer...but I'll tell you want I'd do. I'd take a pic of both sides of the receiver showing all engravings, put "N/A" in 4d, and then print the pics on a single sheet of paper along with a sentence saying you put N/A because the model wasn't designated on the receiver. The regulation says the model has to be engraved, if designated. (My F1 suppressors have N/A on the F1s for model, and I didn't engrave anything for model). I'd send that sheet in with my forms.

Odds are no matter what I chose to do, they'd send an error letter requesting something different.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By WarriorSoulM4:
First off, BigWaylonThanks for all the info on submitting a Form 1, your step by step tutorial is awesome. I'm not sure if this has been answered or even asked, but for question 4d for model, I'm not sure what to put down, I'm using a Sig Sauer M400 lower for my SBR, and there is no "model" designation, other than SIG on the mag well and the sn and manufacturer & city info above the trigger. I know your previous answers have specified to put what is on the lower. Should I leave it blank or should I put down SIG? Thanks in advance.
I don't have a definite answer on that. The problem is that if you put something in the box, it's supposed to be engraved. So, if you put something there that's not already on the firearm, you'd be responsible for getting it added.

On top of that, it seems the ATF has access to manufacturer info (or maybe just a database of previous info) that has model name. I say that because they often give suggestions when they send out an error letter. So...you might put something down that is different from what they think it should be.

Others may be able to give you a better answer...but I'll tell you want I'd do. I'd take a pic of both sides of the receiver showing all engravings, put "N/A" in 4d, and then print the pics on a single sheet of paper along with a sentence saying you put N/A because the model wasn't designated on the receiver. The regulation says the model has to be engraved, if designated. (My F1 suppressors have N/A on the F1s for model, and I didn't engrave anything for model). I'd send that sheet in with my forms.

Odds are no matter what I chose to do, they'd send an error letter requesting something different.
Thanks again, I will do just that
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 5:47:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Sorry to rehash this thread but hopefully someone can help me understand something with the Form 1.

Filing as individual, section 4c, 4d, and 4g:

For an AR lower, do I use the model and serial number that's already on the receiver from Anderson, or as the "maker" of the SBR, do I come up with my own serial number, such as "001" or something?  CAN I use Anderson's serial number to make it easier?

Section 4h:

Walkthrough thread here says used to be left blank, but now you enter the information you'll engrave on the receiver.  Would that information to be engraved be the following:

XXXX (serial number no smaller than 1/16th inch, .003 depth)
AR-15 5.56mm (model and caliber, .003 depth)
John Q. Public, Anytown, NY USA (makers name and place SBR was made, .003 depth)

Also, is there any way to have it be for multiple calibers, or would I need to list each caliber I "might" ever want?

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 10:34:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Does location of engraving matter as long as it is on the receiver? A company I have been looking at to engrave mine offers the option to engrave under the receiver above and below where the trigger comes out so it would be hidden.
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 1:32:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 2:45:45 PM EDT
[#9]
@BigWaylon can you help me out?
Is it legal to travel interstate with a sbr lower using a 16” barrel?
And do you need a 5320.20 for a suppressor to travel out of state?
I know that they are both legal to do, but I can’t find the language or the answer on the FAQ page.
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 3:53:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 5:03:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Proto3] [#11]
Edit: Nevermind, found the answer.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 10:04:36 AM EDT
[#12]
@elkoholic
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 4:50:51 PM EDT
[#13]
@BigWaylon I filled out the pdf form of the 5320.20, do you know the email address that I’m supposed to send it to? I’ve always went the snail mail route, that I’d try something different.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 4:59:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 4:16:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Ok...have my first sbr. Did the trust....this way my fam can shoot my sbr and stuff. I didnt put them on yet becauae I knew I was gonna be adding another sbr to the trust. When this one is said and done..I will adding them.
Now I know some things have changed with paper work over the year or two since my first sbr.
Last time I went with silencer shop, what is a easier way to do it this time? And how do I add this one to the trust...the first time was confusing as hell and this is no different. I know I have to get this lower engraved also, and I should engrave it the same way as the other lower, right? Meaning name on it and all?

Thanks guys...I really appreciate your time.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 6:34:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BigWaylon] [#16]
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 7:58:05 PM EDT
[#17]
I submitted the F1 for my AR lower, it currently has a rifle upper but was originally a pistol.

Once I have the approval and engraving, it is only a NFA item with the rifle stock on it correct, if I swap on a SBA3 stock and it has a 10.5" upper it is no longer a NFA item correct. Also is it still ok to swap to different barrel length uppers or does it need to remain at 10.5" like I filled out initially.
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 11:40:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SilverLightning] [#18]
Not sure if this is the thread to ask this question-

When engraving a Form 1 SBR, what if I don't live within city limits? Do use the town on my mailing address or just the county?
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 12:53:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By SilverLightning:
Not sure if this is the thread to ask this question-

When engraving a Form 1 SBR, what if I don't live within city limits? Do use the town on my mailing address or just the county?
View Quote

Use the city and state from block 3B on your approved Form 1.
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 2:05:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Form 1 SBR engraving question - I have an 80% lower that I want to have specific personally-amusing engravings, but it's also going to be a registered SBR. If the front of the magwell gets the proper (real name, location et cetera) markings, would I use those for the registration and still be able to run (for example) "Nerf Firearms Division, Fun City, West Pensyltucky" in the traditional left-side-receiver location?
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 3:12:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 3:14:27 PM EDT
[#22]

Are you asking if you can do both of these?

1. Engrave all the required info in an acceptable spot
2. Engrave additional nonsense anywhere on the firearm

If so, I know of no regulation that would prevent #2 as long as #1 happened.
View Quote

Cool, just wanted to verify. Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 6:05:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Potentially dumb question here:
If I already have a trust due to my suppressor, do I have to redo my fingerprints when I do a Form 1 to turn my MP5 pistol into an SBR?

Also, how am I to accurately measure OAL if it will change once I swap from the current brace to the end game stock?

Thanks for the help, these BS laws are confusing so far for me.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 6:47:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MagnusActual] [#24]
Originally Posted By CJ47:
Potentially dumb question here:
If I already have a trust due to my suppressor, do I have to redo my fingerprints when I do a Form 1 to turn my MP5 pistol into an SBR?

Also, how am I to accurately measure OAL if it will change once I swap from the current brace to the end game stock?

Thanks for the help, these BS laws are confusing so far for me.
View Quote

I believe you do have to submit new prints. That used to be the good thing about a Trust... No prints. Of course that's all changed now. Anyway...

FYI: You can submit multiple Form 1's on one set of prints.

As far as OAL, measure with brace then measure stock, add or subtract as necessary.

Link Posted: 5/11/2022 2:42:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: madmedic] [#25]
Ugh... e-Filling out a Form 1 as an individual right now to SBR an AR15, and it has me confused.
I see no instructions for this stuff on the eFile website.

• 1) The "CLEO" section... Is that just so they can mail a copy of your application to the CLEO?  We no longer have to ask CLEO permission, right?  (CLEO would be the County Sheriff, right?)

• 1) The fingerprint card... Where do I get the card?  Can I fill it out, and fingerprint myself?  Or, do I have to go have it done at the Sheriff's Dept?  (It says they will email you a cover sheet with the address to mail the card, but it doesn't say anything about where to get the card, itself).

Link Posted: 5/11/2022 8:08:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By madmedic:
Ugh... e-Filling out a Form 1 as an individual right now to SBR an AR15, and it has me confused.
I see no instructions for this stuff on the eFile website.

• 1) The "CLEO" section... Is that just so they can mail a copy of your application to the CLEO?  We no longer have to ask CLEO permission, right?  (CLEO would be the County Sheriff, right?)

• 1) The fingerprint card... Where do I get the card?  Can I fill it out, and fingerprint myself?  Or, do I have to go have it done at the Sheriff's Dept?  (It says they will email you a cover sheet with the address to mail the card, but it doesn't say anything about where to get the card, itself).

View Quote

CLEO - its so you can mail it, but you have to fill in the details still.

You can go online and request fingerprint cards from the ATF (free) and roll your own.  You can buy them from Amazon also with the ink to roll them.  Or you can possibly get your CLEO agency to do it.

ATF how to do it;
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/form/fingerprint-card-instructions-and-example-fd-258

ATF Free Cards;
https://www.atf.gov/distribution-center-order-form
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 10:03:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BigWaylon] [#27]
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 12:06:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Dumb questions from me.

Looking to SBR my poser Mp5. (AP5) and I see that they need the exact OAL on the form?  Now I am not sure if I am going A2 stock (Most likely) but want to be able to try an A3 . Not exact OAL close but not exact.  

If I go A3 stock it is measured extended or collapsed? If I go with one stock then change it out is that a no no? Say A2 to A3? or vice versa?
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 8:05:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 10:37:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WildBoar] [#30]
Cool. Thanks. I just saw other comments seeming like they needed exact and wasn't sure if I would catch crap If I later swapped it out and they wanted to be dicks later.

Link Posted: 7/16/2022 4:25:40 PM EDT
[#31]
This is a dumb question…I have a trust via SilencerShop. Am I able to form1 SBR my gun as an individual, outside of the trust? The reason I ask is I’m not sure about the process to add an SBR to the trust, and it seems like a hassle.

Assuming I can file as individual, am I right in the idea that later down the line if I wanted to add said SBR to my family trust I could do that?

This stuff confused me to death, I really need to learn it better.
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 7:29:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BigWaylon] [#32]
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 8:37:03 PM EDT
[#33]

You can always file as an individual. Or file as a different entity.

You can then add it to the trust…for $200. You have to file a Form 4 and transfer it from you to the trust.
View Quote

Now…if I do file individual, and decide to add it to the trust, during the Form 4 waiting period am I allowed to use it? Or would it have to stay locked up?
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 9:00:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BigWaylon] [#34]
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 9:46:23 PM EDT
[#35]

You’ll be the transferee and transferor, so it’s yours no matter what.

Approved? Yours as a trustee.
Disapproved? Stays your as an individual.
During the wait? Still property of yours as an individual…so do whatever you want to with it.
View Quote

Thank you so much. That will make it a lot easier for me.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 4:09:37 AM EDT
[#36]
It's been a long time but what needs to be engraved on a lower now when you're the maker of an SBR with multi as caliber by manufacturer ?

Trust name
City, State

And can the caliber be marked on barrel still? .223/5.56?
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 5:02:20 PM EDT
[#37]
My trust has a giant fucking name. I guess I am skipping the SBR route on my AP5

Sucks that it has to be plainly visible. I don't it will fit anywhere on that gun?
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 7:02:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HammerTech] [#38]
Originally Posted By A96HondaAccordEX:
It's been a long time but what needs to be engraved on a lower now when you're the maker of an SBR with multi as caliber by manufacturer ?

Trust name
City, State

And can the caliber be marked on barrel still? .223/5.56?
View Quote

Yes and yes. Have to pick a caliber to get the Form 1 approved because they don't do "multi". Keep the upper around to return it to the approved configuration if it's ever needed.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 7:11:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By WildBoar:
My trust has a giant fucking name. I guess I am skipping the SBR route on my AP5

Sucks that it has to be plainly visible. I don't it will fit anywhere on that gun?
View Quote

You could always do it as an individual. My SBR's are engraved on the inside lip of the magwell. Plainly visible when the mag is dropped.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 11:42:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By HammerTech:

You could always do it as an individual. My SBR's are engraved on the inside lip of the magwell. Plainly visible when the mag is dropped.
View Quote

Doesn't individual require CLEO Sign off? (going by the 1st post link)
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 11:57:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: spyderboy03] [#41]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

No. That went away with 41F. There is a notification, but the CLEO does not have to "approve." I just did 2 individual form 1's in August and September.
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 12:00:34 PM EDT
[#42]

View Quote

On an mp5 clone?
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 12:16:05 PM EDT
[#43]

I have a trust with a number of suppressors and SBR's but I haven't done an SBR in a long time.  

I vaguely remember something about needing photos of myself and the other responsible party even with a trust now?  is that the case?

or can I just send off the fingerprint cards and no passport photos after I file the eform?
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 12:52:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheRiddleOfSteel] [#44]
Originally Posted By Quarterbore:
Originally Posted By jercdevil:
Do the SBR have to be built on a preban lower. I would assume so otherwise you could not have an telescopic stock. I have to very nice preban colts in the safe,but I would hate to take a engraver to them.

I see this was answered below and it is on page 1 of the FAQ...

quarterbore.com/library/pdf_files/shortbarreledriflefaq.pdf
View Quote

Is there an updated link to this FAQ? The domain is for sale, any links to it currently don't work.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 3:23:37 PM EDT
[#45]
If you have a lower marked with Caliber Multi, can you use two different upper receivers of different calibers and lengths?

So like
12.5" Barrel 5.56mm
8" Barrel 300 blackout

On the same lower
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 1:59:57 PM EDT
[#46]
I realize the OP is 14 years old, but the link is broken and the website is offline. Maybe it needs to be updated or unstickied.
Page / 26
Next Page Arrow Left
Tacked SBR FAQ (Page 26 of 26)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top