Site Notices
7/28/2014 11:40:43 AM
Author
NRA
Posted: 9/16/2012 6:25:33 PM
I've done a search thru the Class 3 forums and I am unable to find an answer to my questions. A quick tour of the ATF's website the only forms I could locate were for Licensee reporting thefts.

On to my question..... Presently only have 1 suppressor which has been approved and I've begun the wait on the post office... This item will be stored at all times in a safe when not in use.

Let's say the unthinkable happens and my suppressor is stolen. Aside from the obvious of reporting it to my local LE Agency, am I required to notify the ATF?? While naturally in 32 years I've NEVER had any firearms lost or stolen as I feel I do the best I can to protect my weapons from theft, but I just want to make sure that in the event something happens what needs to be done.

TIA
No2sc2
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/16/2012 9:56:06 PM
Yup LE report and I'd call NFA just to mention to them.
TitleII
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/17/2012 10:44:28 AM
[Last Edit: 9/17/2012 10:54:26 AM by TitleII]
Originally Posted By gbcop:
I've done a search thru the Class 3 forums and I am unable to find an answer to my questions. A quick tour of the ATF's website the only forms I could locate were for Licensee reporting thefts.

On to my question..... Presently only have 1 suppressor which has been approved and I've begun the wait on the post office... This item will be stored at all times in a safe when not in use.

Let's say the unthinkable happens and my suppressor is stolen. Aside from the obvious of reporting it to my local LE Agency, am I required to notify the ATF?? While naturally in 32 years I've NEVER had any firearms lost or stolen as I feel I do the best I can to protect my weapons from theft, but I just want to make sure that in the event something happens what needs to be done.

TIA

Reporting of Lost/Theft of item or form is required.

I don't believe a pre-printed form is available, it is usually done via a letter.

NFA Handbook
13.5.2 NFA requirements. When any registered firearm is stolen or lost, the person losing possession
must, immediately upon discovery of the theft or loss, make a written report to ATF, specifically the
NFA Branch, showing the following: (1) name and address of the person in whose name the firearm is
registered; (2) kind of firearm; (3) serial number; (4) model; (5) caliber; (6) manufacturer; (7) date and
place of theft or loss; and (8) a complete statement of the facts and circumstances surrounding the theft
or loss.

Section 13.6 Reporting theft or loss of NFA registration documents. When any Form 1, 2, 3, 4, 5,
6A, or 10 evidencing possession of a firearm is stolen, lost, or destroyed, the person losing possession
must immediately upon discovery of the theft, loss, or destruction report the matter in writing to ATF,
specifically the NFA Branch.213 The report must show the circumstances of the theft, loss, or
destruction and include all known facts which may serve to identify the document. Upon receipt of the
report, ATF may conduct an investigation and issue a duplicate document.

TitleII
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/17/2012 10:48:31 AM
[Last Edit: 9/17/2012 10:53:35 AM by TitleII]
Originally Posted By gbcop:

TIA

dup oops

RenegadeX
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/17/2012 12:24:37 PM
NonLicensees are not required to report the loss/theft of firearms.

Licensees must report in 48 hours. (923(g)(6).

State Law may vary.
TitleII
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/19/2012 11:17:47 AM
[Last Edit: 9/19/2012 7:56:24 PM by TitleII]
Originally Posted By RenegadeX:

State Law may vary.

27 CFR 479.141/142 Subpart J requires everyone to report.

ATF may not have the statutory authority to enforce this, but is is an ATF regulation.

RenegadeX
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/19/2012 12:14:09 PM

Originally Posted By TitleII:
Originally Posted By RenegadeX:

State Law may vary.

27 CFR 179.141 Subpart J requires everyone to report.

ATF may not have the statutory authority to enforce this, but is is an ATF regulation.

Thanks, I was only looking in US Code for prohibited acts.

BTW - Section 179 is depracated, it is now section 479.

As you point out, while the CFR requires reporting, not reporting is not a crime (As far as I can tell), and there is no penalty.

gbcop
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/19/2012 7:33:09 PM
Thanks for the replies!