Author
Fighting Naturalist
Posted: 6/24/2012 9:34:41 AM
Do they cash your check, put you in the pile, and then deny you and refund the money?

Anyone ever done this?

I remember a story of someone who accidentally got approved, and when the ATF realized the mistake they flipped the shit out.
The NFA's days are numbered. One day I will walk out of a gun show with a new machine gun in my hands. No tax. No wait. Present CHL. Hand over cash. Fill out a 4473. And leave.
Monkey_Wrench
Florida Hurricane Dodger
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/24/2012 10:04:24 AM
I'm sure it will come back with a letter asking you wtf is wrong with you.

Or some guys with badges will hand deliverit...

Why don't you try it and let us know?
"Some People Are Like Slinkies. They're Not Really Good For Anything, But They Bring a Smile To Your Face When Pushed Down The Stairs."
"Fast cars drag race, fast drivers road race."
http://www.referenceonly.com/
bigcbass
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/24/2012 2:34:51 PM
They will deny it and eventually return your money.
Christopher Bass, Esq.
Dallas Co., Texas
214-596-8314
christopherbass01@gmail.com
chemcmndr
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/24/2012 3:10:48 PM
I believe that's why, if you read the forms, you mail all F1's to Martinsburg, WV and all of the F4's to Atlanta, GA. All of the money gets processed in Atlanta, and I'm sure the F1's make it there for processing, but they go through WV first so that they can be checked for something out of the ordinary, like an F1 machine gun. That way, they can be stopped before the check is ever cashed.

I do remember hearing a story about one F1 full auto that slipped through the cracks and was actually approved. The guy started talking about it on the internet forums and shortly thereafter several ATF agents showed up to demand the stamp back and investigate whether or not he had actually made the conversion.
AlexanderA
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/24/2012 3:13:13 PM
Could be the basis for a test case, if you have deep enough pockets.
felrom
Fighting Naturalist
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/24/2012 3:21:04 PM

Originally Posted By AlexanderA:
Could be the basis for a test case, if you have deep enough pockets.

I'm neither a lawyer nor rich enough for that. I donate money to the professionals at SAF, Heller, and NRAILA to handle that stuff on my behalf.

The NFA's days are numbered. One day I will walk out of a gun show with a new machine gun in my hands. No tax. No wait. Present CHL. Hand over cash. Fill out a 4473. And leave.
felrom
Fighting Naturalist
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/24/2012 3:24:51 PM
[Last Edit: 6/24/2012 3:42:05 PM by felrom]
For the record, I'm not expecting it would slip through and get approved, and I know it wouldn't be legal to build anything if it did.

ETA:
From the ATF Form 1:
Under Penalties of Perjury, I Declare that I have examined this application, including accompanying documents, and to the best of my knowledge and belief it is true, accurate and complete and the making and possession of the firearm described above would not constitute a violation of Chapter 44, Title 18, U.S.C., Chapter 53, Title 26, U.S.C., or any provisions of State or local law.

Since Chapter 44, Title 18 contains 922(o), and I'm aware of it, I think that means I'm perjuring myself by signing a Form 1 for a machine gun.