Site Notices
10/24/2014 2:42:22 PM
Author
Posted: 1/29/2012 9:56:52 AM
Hey guys, this is my first post. I just built my first AR15 and naturally had some full auto questions. I live in Washington, so this is purely out of curiosity as we have yet to see the luxury of owning nfa weapons. Although they did just pass the silencer bill a while back so hopefully some day in the future... Anyway, I've done some research on dias, lightning links etc, which have to have been registered before 1986 etc etc. What about standard m16 auto sears? I haven't been able to find much info on them. Do m16 auto sears ( the ones that require modification to the lower receiver) follow the same rules as drop in auto sears and the like? Thanks for the info!
squirrelslayer1
Collector of shoulder things that go up.
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/29/2012 10:02:44 AM
Originally Posted By michaelreed:
Hey guys, this is my first post. I just built my first AR15 and naturally had some full auto questions. I live in Washington, so this is purely out of curiosity as we have yet to see the luxury of owning nfa weapons. Although they did just pass the silencer bill a while back so hopefully some day in the future... Anyway, I've done some research on dias, lightning links etc, which have to have been registered before 1986 etc etc. What about standard m16 auto sears? I haven't been able to find much info on them. Do m16 auto sears ( the ones that require modification to the lower receiver) follow the same rules as drop in auto sears and the like? Thanks for the info!

You must have a lower cut to accommodate the M16 FCG and auto sear, so you will need a registered receiver ($$$$$).
"For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all."

Thank you unknown Good Samaritan for my team membership!
michaelreed
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/29/2012 11:12:51 AM
Didn't quite answer it.. What I meant was, does the receiver also have to be pre 86' like drop in auto sears etc?
bloodsport2885
Use of live ammunition is now authorized
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/29/2012 11:22:35 AM
Didn't quite answer it.. What I meant was, does the receiver also have to be pre 86' like drop in auto sears etc?

A DIAS or LL is considered the machine gun and is serialized separate from the AR15 it goes in. The receiver does not have to be made before 86 unless you go the RR route. As for OEM auto sears, unless you have a registered receiver to put it in, it can be construed as bad news with the ATF. Just drilling the hole in the lower produces a new machine gun, which is illegal except for certain licensed individuals.

If you purchase a registered receiver you can use the OEM parts, otherwise a conversion device is required.
Man has the right to self defense. All those who would use it for nefarious means may they rest in peace. All those who use it to pretect the innocent, may the live in peace.
gcw16
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/29/2012 2:43:49 PM

Yes. There is no way for an individual to get a "cheap" M16.
RenegadeX
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/29/2012 8:12:46 PM

The receiver needs to be pre-86. The M16 sear itself could have been made at anytime.
GunDisaster
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/29/2012 8:39:51 PM
The only legal machine guns us civilians can own must be made before 1986 and registered with the ATF. Any new machine guns made after 1986 are for dealers, military, law enforcement only.

If you want an M-16 legally there are 3 options, RLL, RDIAS, RR.

RLL or Registered Lightning Link will cost about $7K

RDIAS or Registered Drop In Auto Sear will cost about $12K

RR or Registered Receiver will cost about $10-20K

All legal machine guns are expensive since there is a lot of demand for limited product. Prices have been going up since the 1986 ban.

Cheapest machine gun you can legally buy will be a Cobray M-11 9mm machine pistol for about $3K

Also there is a $200 transfer tax to the ATF whenever you buy a legal machine gun, as well as some paperwork and a long wait.
ryknoll3
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/29/2012 10:28:05 PM

To answer your question simply, the ATF considers that modification to the lower receiver (milling the space for the sear and drilling the hole above the safety) as creating a machine gun in and of itself, you can not have a registered GI sear (the kind that go in a regular M16). You would already have to have a machine gun receiver to accept the sear, so you don't need to register the sear. The reason the drop-in sear and Lightning Link are registered is because they allow full auto in an unmodified lower.

If you have a receiver that's registered as a machine gun, it already has the hole drilled and the receiver walls milled to accept the sear. Those that own those receivers can buy standard sears as a replacement part, just like a trigger or any other FCG part. In fact, if you didn't own any AR's you could legally possess a GI sear as it's not a conversion part in and of itself.