Site Notices
9/18/2014 11:03:27 AM
Author
Posted: 4/25/2013 6:53:56 PM
I was fortunate enough to get one of these delivered today and I wanted to put up some initial impressions of US Optics' SR-8C 1-8x scope. If you are going to make it to the Allegheny Sniper Challenge, come by and put your hands on this scope at the vendor day on May 16th between noon and 4pm.

Even though I love the people at US Optics, when I heard about the SR-8 I thought to myself, "sure, another "1x" scope." I've played with a few "1x" powered scopes in the past and as many people have found out just like me, it wasn't really 1x. No more. US Optics nailed it and has delivered an actual 1x capable, variable powered scope.

Optical clarity and brightness are great from 1x to the max zoom of 8x. The reticle in my scope is the C2 which can be found on US Optics' website at USOptics.com if you would like to see the Mil breakdown. The red dot is easily seen in the bright light and is pretty much indistinguishable from similar red dots such as my trusty Aimpoint T1. Even when zoomed in to 8x, clarity and brightness are still great and 8x gives more than enough zoom to take the longer shots.

(1000yds to the barn)

While I've shown some pics so you get an idea of the FOV and surroundings, here are some closer in shots of the reticle at 1x and 8x. This view gives more of what the shooter actually sees when looking through the scope. The red dot can be left on at 8x if you wish, but I turned it off for these pics.

I personally don't believe people at US Optics made this scope. I'm pretty sure they hired a wizard who tossed an Aimpoint and LR-17 scope into a magical cauldron and out popped this thing. Regardless of who or how, US Optics has made what I thought impossible a reality. If you are interested in a true 1x variable power scope, you owe it to yourself to check out the SR-8.

(Forgive the quality of the pics. I was rushed and some were a bit blurry and/or overexposed so don't let my rushed picture taking imply anything poorly on the clarity and resolution of the scope itself.)
taliv
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/26/2013 11:43:09 AM
awesome, thanks for the review!

mine is supposed to be here next week. i can't wait!
John87
OFP
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/26/2013 12:03:48 PM
2 different reticles in 1 scope, or is that 2 different scopes?
AR-15: The modern sporting Lego set.
sharkbait
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/26/2013 1:22:56 PM
My Dream scope- Thanks for the review
Black-X
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/26/2013 1:47:39 PM
Originally Posted By John87:
2 different reticles in 1 scope, or is that 2 different scopes?

One scope, same reticle, but different magnifications. The red dot pics are on 1x and the crosshair is on 8x. The red dot can be left on when at 8x but I turned it off for these pics.

You're welcome on the review guys, the scope is too awesome not to share.
PhreakMode
Que onda
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/27/2013 10:54:47 AM
I have been trying to phase out my USOs, when they released this scope it imediately brought me back. This is one kickin optic, I really apreciate the one I own.
Duct tape reinforced kevlar
jhr1986
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/27/2013 5:55:08 PM
[Last Edit: 4/27/2013 6:30:37 PM by jhr1986]
Thanks for the review; how's the eye box at 1x?

edit: forgot to ask also, are those capped turrets?
Black-X
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/27/2013 7:34:40 PM
[Last Edit: 4/27/2013 7:42:28 PM by Black-X]
Originally Posted By jhr1986:
Thanks for the review; how's the eye box at 1x?

edit: forgot to ask also, are those capped turrets?

Not a problem and you're welcome. The eye box at 1x is huge. I can pull my head back to the end of the stock (literally, the end of the rifle where it touches your shoulder) and still be able to use the red dot. Obviously the edges come in slightly, but the majority of the viewing area is still usable with your eye that far back. You can also get right up into the scope and still see just about everything. I would say with your eye almost touching the glass, you see about 90% FOV and with your eye at the butt stock pad (again, the very end of the rifle stock) you see about 75-80% of the FOV.

**Edit: pulled out the tape and what I describe above is 1" from rear of scope out to 10 1/2" behind the rear of the scope. Optimal distance is pretty much what US Optics has listed at 3.7", but obviously it's pretty forgiving**

Yep, capped turrets.
jhr1986
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/28/2013 2:05:13 PM
Thanks for the update; unfortunately for me this probably means I'll be saving twice as long for my next optic, but it sounds like it will be worth the wait.