Author
Posted: 10/4/2012 11:32:35 AM
[Last Edit: 10/4/2012 11:32:51 AM by AshesToAshes]

THE IMAGE ABOVE IS A PAID ADVERTISEMENT
A lot of new changes are being built into new versions of Ballistic / Ballistic AE / Ballistic for iPad (http://ballistic.zdziarski.com), and I wanted to ask what features everyone would like to see in future versions. Here is the complete change log from the current version (3.2) up to the latest betas. Please let me know if you have any other ideas for making this an even better tool. Thanks!

Enhancements:

Removed "Simple Mode" and added "Hide Fields" option to Settings, allowing the user to decide which fields they'd like to hide in the trajectory screen. Settings can be changed without restarting the app.

Added a powder "sensitivity" setting in the reloading section, allowing the user to define a velocity shift (per-degree) to adjust for powder temperature. When set, the muzzle velocity will automatically be adjusted using this value. The actual muzzle velocity will be displayed in the trajectory output; powder temperature is also taken into consideration when truing the velocity up. You'll need to have a zero and current atmosphere temp defined in order for the velocity to be adjusted.

Other Changes:

- Minor artwork enhancements
- Added four new Hornady projectiles to projectiles library
- Added three new Hornady loads to loads library
- Changed "Drift is Zeroed" to "Windage is Zeroed" in the Spin Drift menu, allowing users to zero windage even when they're not calculating spin drift.

Bugfixes:
- Fixed a bug where switching to/from metric could cause a crash
- Fixed a bug where truing did not calculate properly when using metric values
- Fixed a bug introduced in v3.4.0 where the yellow sound barrier bar was not di
- Fixed a bug where switching to metric reset all values, but did not load defaults

Enhancements:

Velocity Correction ("Truing"):
Added a feature to perform "truing" of data by correcting the velocity to match your actual trajectory. For example, if your shots are consistently high or low at the range, you can use this feature to recalculate your muzzle velocity to match the real world data, which could be off due to powder temperature, fouling, or other factors. To use this, tap on the muzzle velocity field in either the trajectory screen or the HUD, and enter up to five true points of impact and their ranges. By default, values are relative to your original calculation, so if the actual point of impact was 6 inches low, enter -6 for a drop and the distance. If the impact was 6 inches high, enter 6 for a drop. You may switch off relative offsets, and enter exact drop values for your trajectory (e.g. -293 in @ 1000 yards). Ballistic will calculate the closest muzzle velocity matching your data, allowing you to correct for muzzle velocity changes due to powder temperature, fouling, and other factors. NOTE: Not all problems with trajectory at the range are caused by velocity. Sometimes, the manufacturer's BC can be too optimistic, your scope could be off, or a number of other issues could arise. This feature is useful if you have historically shot at a known trajectory with a level of consistency, and due to changes in temperature or fouling, you are no longer achieving the same trajectory. If the change is indeed the velocity of the projectile, then the velocity correction should yield a trajectory that comes very close to your real world results at various distances. If you find that the correction doesn't resolve certain distances very well, the problem is likely something else.

Atmosphere overhaul:
- Fixed a bug in handling of Density Altitude atmosphere data in the HUD; the HUD had mislabeled the density field as lb/ft3, instead of in ft/m, and the mach field failed to convert temperature input into mach values. This has been fixed so that temperature can be provided as the input in the HUD.
- Corrected the defaults for Density Altitude atmosphere, and added better display of density altitude (and density of air) in the ballistics solution output.
- Corrected density altitude calculation when using a metric altitude
- Added density altitude and density of air data to HUD, instead of just displaying empty meteorological data. Snazzy!
- Fixed a bug where, in dentity altitude or density of air modes, when there was no "zero atmosphere", the zero atmosphere defaulted to a standard atmosphere, rather than mirrored the current atmosphere. This caused the application to assume you zeroed the rifle in a standard atmosphere, which could throw the results off if you didn't.
- Switched to using the temperature by default when in density altitude mode; temperatures are no longer auto-converted to mach, and will display whatever the user entered in teh HUD and ballistics solution. The user can still enter the mach, if they desire to do so, and that data will be displayed instead.
- Fixed a number of bugs related to default values for atmospheres, particularly when the type of atmosphere being loaded doesn't match the type of atmosphere set in defaults.

Lead:
Lead time has been added as an option in the trajectory page. Specifying a "target speed" will cause the additional columns to appaer.
- Also added a "Lead" dial to the HUD, allowing the lead to be dialed in, and included in windage values. NOTE: Lead dial can be turned off in settings..

Other Changes:

- Renamed Y-Intercept to "Zero Height"; This is the Y offset AT ZERO
- Added "Zero Offset" field; This is the X offset AT ZERO. NOTE: Using this will zero your windage, so if you're calculating wind or spin drift, this will also be zeroed.
- Added Red / Orange / Green colors to miller stability output to more easily identify if a bullet is stable
- Minor cosmetic improvements
- Reloading data is now turned on by default. Turn it off in Settings to remove the feature.

Bugfixes:

- Fixed a bug where the Max PBR Zero did not adjust for different vital zone radius values

- Minor cosmetic tweaks to the Advanced Wind Kit
- Minor cosmetic tweaks to the tab bar icons
- Added titles to the multi-value selection pages
- Added title to the about pages
- New application icon

- (Standard) Added better error handling of in-app purchases when no Internet connection is available. Also removed duplicate installation alerts when restoring purchases.

- (iPad) Added a popover for the "Distance" view when the "Maximum Range" button is tapped. When used, will set trajectory to calculate only for the specified distance

- Revised the advanced wind kit. Added pinch capabilities to wind bands to designate their coverage for each band. Also added a new switch to designate a wind band as having a constant velocity across the entire band, or linear (decayed) wind speed across the band's coverage area. Also added a yellow tint to wind sources indicating an upwind; the upwind velocity and constant/linear designation is also now shown in the description.

- (Standard) Added In-App Purchases of Advanced Wind Kit and Head-Up Display (HUD)

- Updated .450 Bushmaster loads to have correct diameter (.452)
- Minor changes to the user interface
- Minor changes to the Wind Kit interface
- Fixed a bug when using iOS 4 that causes a crash when accessing the Projectiles Library
- Fixed a bug causing a crash when wind sources were deleted, then re-added, then edited
ShadowAngel
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/4/2012 4:10:50 PM
I'm sure this isn't at all what you're really asking for...but an Android version would be great. The Android OS is already dominating the market on smartphones, and as of yesterday it has half the tablet market. I'd buy your app in a heartbeat if it was available for Android tablets.
The power to cause pain is the only power that matters,the power to kill and destroy,because if you can't kill then you are always subject to those who can,and nothing and no one will ever save you.
AshesToAshes
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/4/2012 4:33:32 PM
Originally Posted By ShadowAngel:
I'm sure this isn't at all what you're really asking for...but an Android version would be great. The Android OS is already dominating the market on smartphones, and as of yesterday it has half the tablet market. I'd buy your app in a heartbeat if it was available for Android tablets.

If I could snap my fingers, absolutely... but that's a significant undertaking. Maybe at some point in the future.
bwideman
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/4/2012 11:24:07 PM
Get asshole Apple to allow my Kestrel BT to communicate with my iPhone so I can import data directly to the Ballistic software.
sseagle
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/5/2012 7:47:04 AM
Originally Posted By bwideman:
Get asshole Apple to allow my Kestrel BT to communicate with my iPhone so I can import data directly to the Ballistic software.

You shoot just fine!

I'll hold off on any other response as I just now have a phone whos GPS isn't monumentally retarded..
Chrome308
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/5/2012 9:43:41 AM
Wow, with truing in beta, i think youve got everything!

Ive been a user for a couple of years and its been a great app.
AshesToAshes
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/5/2012 2:24:34 PM
Added a few more features for 3.5 (in beta), including using a photo as a range log target image, and added all the projectile lengths to the litz library (for spin drift).
SpiritZeroThree
Single Stack totin' Coastie
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/8/2012 11:40:55 PM
question, is the Litz BC data part of the standard ballistic library, or just Ballistic AE?
InfiniteGrim
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/8/2012 11:42:58 PM
What about a version for Windows Phone 7?
OhioLongRange
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/9/2012 10:26:38 AM

Originally Posted By SpiritZeroThree:
question, is the Litz BC data part of the standard ballistic library, or just Ballistic AE?

AE as far as i know...
AshesToAshes
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/9/2012 10:59:22 AM
Litz BCs are part of AE and iPad editions... and with the litz library, future versions have a projectile length library built-in to the litz library for spin drift calculations.

SpiritZeroThree
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/9/2012 2:38:14 PM
Originally Posted By AshesToAshes:
Litz BCs are part of AE and iPad editions... and with the litz library, future versions have a projectile length library built-in to the litz library for spin drift calculations.

Guess I'm buying AE now too.
Digital_Damage
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/11/2012 9:42:29 AM
Originally Posted By ShadowAngel:

Ya, missing the whole military market with this not being on Android.

As far as features, How about a graphical representation on holds for Horus reticles.
Jus_Ad_Bellum
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/11/2012 11:15:02 AM
Played with the updated version last night quite a bit. Very very cool. The only hangup I found was the occasional crash out of the ap, but that was very occasional.
Turk40SW
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/16/2012 11:30:38 PM
I can't seem to actually save any favorites. Am I doing something wrong? I've had the app for quite a while and never been able to. I always have to go through the whole selection process again.
SpiritZeroThree
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/17/2012 11:58:07 AM
Originally Posted By Turk40SW:
I can't seem to actually save any favorites. Am I doing something wrong? I've had the app for quite a while and never been able to. I always have to go through the whole selection process again.

Have you updated the app since saving favorites?
LoneWolfUSMC
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/17/2012 2:48:58 PM
A true low-light mode would be nice.

So far all of the skins and variations I have seen are just too bright and will really jack up your night adapted vision. It doesn't need to be NVG compatible but just a really dark red color scheme with no white would be great.

Even with "Tactical Red" and "Stealth" options enabled it's still too bright at night.