Site Notices
7/28/2014 11:40:43 AM
Author
Posted: 4/6/2012 12:27:53 AM
I just learned about this gun. I've known about the 98B, but the MRAD is even cooler and more versatile. It's costly, but not so bad when compared with Accuracy Internationals guns, which were what sat at the top of my wish list before finding the MRAD.

As far as the cost of firearms - I rode a Harley for some years (Wide Glide) and that puppy cost a heck of a lot more than this MRAD, and since it wasn't my only transportation, all the bike was for was riding around for recreation (the road was the destination) and riding to work daily until the temp reached freezing. But I didn't *need* it, certainly.

I can't afford the MRAD right now, but only because I'm paying for a better truck. When that's paid for (23 months left), I just might be looking at firearms like the MRAD.

Anyone here own one?

Barrett MRAD
EuroOptics: MRAD link

GL
LoneWolfUSMC
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/6/2012 12:40:44 AM
Shot one.

Nice rifle. Several tools in one package.

Also check out the Desert Tactical Arms SRS.
MP0117
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/7/2012 12:26:00 AM
I shot one as well. Thing is sick.
Baster7Romeo
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/5/2012 6:48:13 PM
[Last Edit: 5/5/2012 6:51:33 PM by Baster7Romeo]
I am wondering as well... Any one know how much a caliber conversion kit is? and if they are available yet? i mean if i cant get one in a 338 and 300 win mag, I might as well just get a 98B and use the extra $1200 on a 300 win mag

What about the Remington msr ? or are they ever going to sell that to the mere commoner lol
BigHat
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/6/2012 5:30:45 AM
Originally Posted By LoneWolfUSMC:
Shot one.

Nice rifle. Several tools in one package.

Also check out the Desert Tactical Arms SRS.

The SRS is probably the best approach out there right now is you want a super high quality bolt gun with interchangeable barrels.

Barrett says no 308 based systems on the horizon. I guess they're selling all the 338s they can make at this point and have no incentive to shift focus. That's a nice caliber to have, but too expensive (and overkill) to shoot all the time.
LRS23S
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/13/2012 11:57:03 AM
[Last Edit: 5/13/2012 1:45:18 PM by LRS23S]
I contacted Barrett about the conversion kits for the MRAD and they said that they are still in the testing phase...I was like WTF. they said that the are only selling the .338 as of right now and are going to release the additional 308 and 300 in a few years....hope that helps.
BigHat
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/13/2012 12:29:59 PM
[Last Edit: 5/13/2012 12:30:25 PM by BigHat]
Originally Posted By LRS23S:
I contacted Barrett about the conversion kits for the MRAD and they said that they are still in the testing phase...I was like WTF. they said that the are only selling the .300 WM as of right now and are going to release the additional 308 and 338 in a few years....hope that helps.

A few years!!!??? What a joke.
PrivateContactor
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/13/2012 6:11:05 PM
I have a bit of brief trigger time behind it, and was delighted with it overall. For the money, I would probably purchase the 98B, unless you are specifically wanting the adaptability that the MRAD features. Finding one locally might prove beyond difficult though, and you may end up paying full retail. Only the high-volume Barrett distributors are going to able to get their hands on one.

If you are not wanting the hassle of obtaining the MRAD, the 98B is still an excellent weapon. If you desire the ability to change roles/ cartridges, then Desert Tactical offers plenty of options starting with .243 and moving up to the 338 LM, on essentially the same rifle, with the conversion kits, which are available in a few different lengths as well.

When released, the FN Ballista, should be a close competitor as well. It all pretty much boils down to what exactly you want. Various conversion kits are an added benefit of some, though I prefer a dedicated weapon, rather than a multi-role capacity. While I love Barrett products, and would never discourage someone from purchasing one, a good case can be made for the Sako TRG, and spend the saved money on optics or additional ammunition.

-PC-

"Contacting Privates Everywhere.."