Author
Military
Posted: 2/16/2012 9:21:34 PM EST
Hey fellow Precision Rifle Enthusiasts, I just picked up an Angle Slope Level Indicator (ASLI) direct from Horus Vision and thought I would share my initial observations of the unit.

A little background:
I'm no HSLD guy, just picked up a 700 as I joined a local club that has a max range of 400 yards. There's a 1K range about 2.5 hours north of me and as I become more proficient at intermediate ranges, I'd like to get out there and try it. I already picked up the book "Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting" by Bryan Litz. While knowledge learned from books is useful, I like to get hands-on and experience the effects from behind the rifle. Trigger time has always been more valuable to me. I find myself wanting to shoot prone, but I don't always have level ground to set-up on. I figured a cant indicator might be a useful tool. Not only to spot-check myself, but also to intentionally induce cant so I can see just how much my shot is affected. I searched around the usual websites and came across offerings from USO ($80 - $100), Vortex ($49) and the one from Horus ($70). I'm sure there are others, but these are the ones that stood out to me. The USO offering is only a level but I like that it mounted directly to the base and there was a swivel option available. The Vortex cost less, but it mounted to the scope via a ring and I wasn't sure that I would be able to see the level without lifting my head. The Horus ASLI was nearly as much as the USO, but it also adds the benefit of an angle cosine indicator. I took trigonometry in high school but that was many moons ago. I checked into other options for the cosine indicator and found Badger Ordnance sells one for $160, with no level included. While the quality of Badger Ordnance products goes without saying, the Horus offering provided more features at less than half the price. Also the unit can be mounted direct to the base, or to a scope with a tube diameter of 30mm or 34mm. One can purchase additional mounts and transfer the ASLI from weapon to weapon if desired.

Now for some pictures of the unit.
As packaged:

Upon opening the box, the unit is packed in foam

Unpacked, no instructions included, but its pretty straightforward. Wrenches and a rubber cover are included. The cover can be put on a mounted ASLI.

Close-up of the underside of the rail mount. Two setscrews apply pressure to the rail. If you plan to mount this between the rings, a scope ring must be removed to install as the rail mount is a one piece design.

A close-up of the ASLI itself. The bubble level has one centering line for the air bubble versus the traditional carpenter's level layout of two lines to "trap" the bubble. The Indicator wheel is marked 0 to 90 in 10 degree increments with 2 degree graduations. Cosine is marked in 2 digit decimal format.

The back side of the ASLI and the top of rail mount. The ASLI and base use a dovetail mounting style. Note the hole in the center of the ASLI mounting plate. A set screw runs through the base into that hole to keep the ASLI in place on the dovetail. The finish on the edges of the dovetail is already starting to show wear just from handling.

A couple images of the unit mounted on the rifle. I can still observe the witness mark for the side focus without breaking my cheek weld.

I won't be able to get out to the range with it until next weekend at the earliest. I'll report back with additional observations, as I'm curious to see how the setscrews hold up, and whether locktite will be necessary. Also wonder how difficult it will be to read the markings in the sun. Especially the single witness mark for the bubble level.
Fireman_JB
Hard work, clean living!
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/17/2012 7:19:09 PM EST
Definitely interested in a review after your range trip
300BR
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/17/2012 7:50:47 PM EST
I shoot a lot of steel at a variety of ranges. Cant has been an issue. Angle of incidence not so much, but I shoot a .260 and a 300WM. I just hold dead on and don't really have any issues.

John