Author
Posted: 12/19/2011 10:03:04 PM
I'm wanting to buy a accurate reliable sniper rifle and am torn between .308 and a .30-06. I've heard so many different opinions from people that it's hard to make a decision but no one has really provided any hard evidence as to why one is better than the other. I guess you could say that I'm an entry level sniper shooter. I enjoy shooting and go often but I haven't done much long distance accuracy shooting. I'd like to hear what would be a better round for someone in my position from experienced shooters. I'm looking for a round that is going to be more accurate on a consistent basis and easier to deal with for an entry level shooter who wants to become an advanced shooter so I can be more accurate with larger rounds in the future. Please share your opinions and suggestions.
LoneWolfUSMC
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/19/2011 10:07:12 PM
You would do better with the. 308

Ballistics are very similar, short action is your friend. Match ammo is easier to find. Magazine systems hold more rounds.
FrankSymptoms
Veteran of the Third Battle of Tannhauser Gate.
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/19/2011 10:14:55 PM
Originally Posted By LoneWolfUSMC:
You would do better with the. 308

Ballistics are very similar, short action is your friend. Match ammo is easier to find. Magazine systems hold more rounds.

This. The ballistics of the two rounds is so similar that the only reason I would suggest 30-06 is if you already have that caliber (as I do) and are reloading for it.
My poetic license has been suspended.

Never piss off a bunk of bored drunk guys with a battleship--Aimless

Their systems aren't too different from ours

Strong back, weak mind... and I'm not so sure about the back...
KY13FOX
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/19/2011 10:45:35 PM
[Last Edit: 12/19/2011 10:48:59 PM by KY13FOX]
Get a 308 with a 1-10 twist. The extra muzzle velocity in 30-06 ain't worth the increased recoil.
silentbushmaster
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/19/2011 10:53:43 PM
They perform closely with bullets up to 150, but when you get over that, the 30-06 has a slight edge due to case capacity.
clownbear69
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/19/2011 11:42:20 PM
Its a lot easier to find reloading data for the .308. .30-06 does have better balistics. it all depends what length of barrel you are planing on getting short=.308 long=.30-06

as a side note: on shelf variety in weight is better with .30-06 but tactical options .308 wins all the way
PKT1106
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/20/2011 7:09:24 AM
You're not going to be a "sniper". You want to get into "long range precision shooting". Yes, wording matters. Tell the wrong people you're looking for a sniper rifle and you may get a visit from the authorities. When people hear the word "sniper", they don't think what we do, so be careful.

As far as caliber choice, if you are just starting out in the long distance game, get a .308. The ammunition is very easy to come bay, even Match grade ammo. Remember that you won't get the full potential out of your rifle until you reload for it and find the sweet combination. Federal Gold Metal Match is a favorite factory load. A lot of people use 168gr for shorter ranges and 175gr for longer ranges.

As for rifles, I would suggest a Remington 700 with a varmint profile barrel or a Savage 10FP, depending on your budget. Remington has a huge aftermarket for parts, but Savage is catching up. You will want to change the stock on either to a Manners, McMillian, HS Precision, B&C, or if you have a 700 and the money, an AICS. Don't skimp on optics, either.

If you haven't, go over to Snipers Hide and read stuff on their forum. Lots of information there.

Good luck.
300ultramag
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/20/2011 9:47:44 AM
Originally Posted By PKT1106:
Tell the wrong people you're looking for a sniper rifle and you may get a visit from the authorities.

I agree that somebody that isn't a "sniper" shouldn't be referring to it as a sniper rifle because its just a long range rifle but I can guarantee you won't get a visit from the authorities. They can't come harass you much less arrest you because you simply said your looking for a sniper rifle or even if you said you have a sniper rifle. You have rights preventing them from doing this and would be grounds for a lawsuit if they did. PD's usually do a damn good job covering their ass and they just wouldn't do something like that. Plus they have better things to do than go harassing tactical wannabe's about their terminology.

I agree with what others said to go with the 308. If you don't reload no way would I buy a 30-06 for a long range rifle. Match ammo choices are very slim and pretty expensive compared to all the stuff out there for 308. A 308 with the right load will get you to 1200 yards no problem.
ta6ppc
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/20/2011 1:19:48 PM
30.06 brass is among the worst in terms of match grade, even Lapua brass is lousy. The 308 is the standard of long range basic's as far as gaining the expertise needed to move on the more exotic and heavy recoiling mag's.

there is a reason that the US Military and nato chose it.

Nobody likes the stigma of the term sniper rifle and it is just bad juju.... Precision rifle's can be tactical or can be flashy like benchrest rifle's.... As the other poster's have stated unless you have and are setup for 30.06 as far as reloading for it... even this is kinda not right because it use's similar powder primer and the same bullet's...

I would buy a good set of bushing die's and a good seater die for 308 and get the best brass you can afford in 308...
EL_TIRADOR
Distinguished Rifleman - Presidents 100
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/21/2011 4:31:34 PM
Originally Posted By KY13FOX:
Get a 308 with a 1-10 twist. The extra muzzle velocity in 30-06 ain't worth the increased recoil.

^^^ This ^^^

David
Fort Worth, Texas

US Air Force (Retired)
1989 - 2010
Distinguished Rifleman - Presidents 100 - NRA Life Member - Texas State Rifle Association Life Member