Site Notices
9/18/2014 11:03:27 AM
Author
Posted: 6/12/2008 9:05:35 AM
I post this same question every few months, in hopes of a successful hit. Does anyone have a Mk2 Tactical Scope? If so, could you please post a close up picture of the turrets without the caps on? All my internet research, and two catalogues from Leupold, and the turrets remain a secret. They always have the caps on.

I would like to see if they are at least close to the MK4 in function, and resetting the zero mark.
Thanks.
corwin1968
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/12/2008 10:30:37 AM
[Last Edit: 6/12/2008 10:35:37 AM by corwin1968]

Originally Posted By Huskytaio:
I post this same question every few months, in hopes of a successful hit. Does anyone have a Mk2 Tactical Scope? If so, could you please post a close up picture of the turrets without the caps on? All my internet research, and two catalogues from Leupold, and the turrets remain a secret. They always have the caps on.

I would like to see if they are at least close to the MK4 in function, and resetting the zero mark.
Thanks.

I recently purchased a Mk 2 (my very first scope) but returned it because I decided to go a different route on my build. The scope was very nice but I have nothing to compare it to.

I don't know anything about the Mk 4 but the Mk 2 turrets had a small hex-head screw that you could loosen and re-zero the turrets after completing the sight-in. Also, I believe the website where I bought it specified 1/2 MOA adjustments but the scope I received was actually 1/4 MOA adjustments, as labeled on the box and on the turrets.

Hope that helps.
Huskytaio
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/12/2008 1:18:24 PM

Originally Posted By corwin1968:

Thanks.

I recently purchased a Mk 2 (my very first scope) but returned it because I decided to go a different route on my build. The scope was very nice but I have nothing to compare it to.

I don't know anything about the Mk 4 but the Mk 2 turrets had a small hex-head screw that you could loosen and re-zero the turrets after completing the sight-in. Also, I believe the website where I bought it specified 1/2 MOA adjustments but the scope I received was actually 1/4 MOA adjustments, as labeled on the box and on the turrets.

Hope that helps.

Thank you Corwin, that is a start. Did you have a hask mark on the turret mount to reference your turrets new zero mark? Were there numbers on the turret? Did you feel positive clicks when making adjustments? Dang, I finally found someone who has seen one in person!
blacksunshinez51
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/12/2008 1:52:02 PM
Yeah....I've been wondering about them too.....are they finger adjustable?
corwin1968
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/12/2008 7:12:09 PM
[Last Edit: 6/12/2008 7:25:40 PM by corwin1968]

Originally Posted By corwin1968:

Thanks.

Hope that helps.

Thank you Corwin, that is a start. Did you have a hask mark on the turret mount to reference your turrets new zero mark? Were there numbers on the turret? Did you feel positive clicks when making adjustments? Dang, I finally found someone who has seen one in person!

I'm not sure about the hash marks but the turrets were numbered and clicked quite nicely when making adjustments. The turrets are easily turned with the fingers and the mechanism felt really good.....but again, I have nothing to compare it to.

On second thought, the manual stated that you used a small hex-head tool (provided with scope, I believe) to loosen the turret and it would spin freely so you could put zero back in the appropriate place and then re-tighten. I'm thinking it did have a hash mark but I wouldn't swear to that. I remember thinking there would be no problem getting it back to zero after making adjustments.

ETA:

I found a photo of another Leupold tactical sight and the Mk 2 had the same dot/arrow/U/R configuration as shown here, rather than a hash. The turrets might not be an exact match to these but they were damn close. The only thing I see that might be different is that I don't remember if the Mk 2 had the numbers near the top of the dials. It might have but I have no idea what they are for so I didn't pay particular attention to that aspect.

reelserious
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/12/2008 8:03:42 PM
I also am close to getting the Leopold Mark 4 m/r scope. I have many Leopold's but none with this type of turret. My question is also about the use of the turrets. Are you supposed to get the scope zeroed at say 100 yards then loosen the turrets and set them to 0 for elevation and windage, then if say you are going to shoot at 600 yards adjust the elevation to that setting and then when done set it back to "0" and go home with your scope zeroed at 100 yards. I am assuming that this is why the scopes are $1000 and that the settings are that precise and repeatable. I sure would like to have this answered before I pull the trigger for 1K.
army_eod
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/12/2008 8:27:30 PM
For God's sake. Would somebody tell us about their Mark 2 and post some pics. I am also interested.

Does anybody in the friggen whole world have one of the Mark 2s????

Ain't seen one yet. Do they exist????
I'm Army EOD and I approve this message
bfarrin1
WSSM Wildcat Aficionado
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/12/2008 8:29:12 PM
The 4-12x Mark 2 I saw earlier this week had regular plain jane Leupold target knobs installed under the covers.

Click, not friction adjustments, and micrometer hash marks.
army_eod
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/12/2008 8:35:18 PM

Originally Posted By bfarrin1:
The 4-12x Mark 2 I saw earlier this week had regular plain jane Leupold target knobs installed under the covers.

Click, not friction adjustments, and micrometer hash marks.

Thanks...now that means something to me.

Frankly, I like the plain jane knobs and the obvious clicks. I do not like the friction knobs.
Huskytaio
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/12/2008 9:08:27 PM

Originally Posted By army_eod:
For God's sake. Would somebody tell us about their Mark 2 and post some pics. I am also interested.

Does anybody in the friggen whole world have one of the Mark 2s????

Ain't seen one yet. Do they exist????

My sentiments exactly! I have been posting this off and on for about 6 months, and not one cotton picking photo! Even the Leupolds catalogs show multiple pictures, but none with the top secret naked turrets. I can't even find one in a gun show.
army_eod
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/12/2008 9:15:53 PM
Well, shit. I may just have to buy one so I can be the expert. I can pick one up with military discount for about 300.00.

JonLSU
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/12/2008 10:54:55 PM
A guy in the EE is selling one, if you IM him I;m sure he can tell you
here
Huskytaio
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/13/2008 4:21:13 PM
I have a Leuopold V III 3.5-10mm 40mm, and don't like the mushy finger adjustable turrets. Otherwise, I like the brightness of the scope, and it isn't too heavy for my Rem 700 LTR/308. The MK4 is about twice the weight.

I just emailed Leupold shop, and they said they would install M1 Tactical turrets for $129. Hmmm, that is tempting. The best of both worlds!
Any thoughts?
doccrawford
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/13/2008 6:03:21 PM
I have the mark 2 tac and the photo above illustrates the turrets. thats them. shorter than the old target turrets. click adjust. mine is 1/2 minute clicks. it has two mil dots on the lower vert cross hair. i put it on my win hbv and it really is a very nice scope for the money. mine is the tac hunter model 62920. this is probably the nicest "affordable" Leupold i've seen in awhile and i own about a dozen of them going back 30 years. I like it.
Huskytaio
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/13/2008 6:25:18 PM

Originally Posted By doccrawford:
I have the mark 2 tac and the photo above illustrates the turrets. thats them. shorter than the old target turrets. click adjust. mine is 1/2 minute clicks. it has two mil dots on the lower vert cross hair. i put it on my win hbv and it really is a very nice scope for the money. mine is the tac hunter model 62920. this is probably the nicest "affordable" Leupold i've seen in awhile and i own about a dozen of them going back 30 years. I like it.

Is is threaded at the bottom of the turrets for the turret cap? In all the pictures, I always see a cap on the turrets.
We are seeing progress.
corwin1968
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/13/2008 7:23:00 PM

Originally Posted By doccrawford:

Is is threaded at the bottom of the turrets for the turret cap? In all the pictures, I always see a cap on the turrets.
We are seeing progress.

The caps on mine screwed on.
army_eod
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/15/2008 5:44:47 AM
I just put in an order with Leupold Fed/Mil for the 3-9 Mark 2.

Pics and a report when she gets here.

I will be on the road for two weeks. Also don't know how fast Leup will get the scope to me.

I should be a good scope for the AR or my .223 Rem 700 LTR.

They both wear scopes now, but what the hey.
Huskytaio
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/15/2008 12:37:51 PM

I just put in an order with Leupold Fed/Mil for the 3-9 Mark 2.

Pics and a report when she gets here.

I will be on the road for two weeks. Also don't know how fast Leup will get the scope to me.

I should be a good scope for the AR or my .223 Rem 700 LTR.

They both wear scopes now, but what the hey.

You are the man Army! Now, finally some one will OWN one, and take actual pictures of their own scope turrets. I anxiously await your report.
army_eod
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/19/2008 6:34:10 AM
OK guys...I just ordered the 3-9 Mark 2 from Leupold. I will put up some pics and a report as soon as I can.

However, there is a good writeup and photos of the Mark 2 on the Gunblast website. Just search for it. Pretty nice scope.

Huskytaio
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/20/2008 4:54:33 PM

OK guys...I just ordered the 3-9 Mark 2 from Leupold. I will put up some pics and a report as soon as I can.

However, there is a good writeup and photos of the Mark 2 on the Gunblast website. Just search for it. Pretty nice scope.

I checked out Gunblast. Good review, and actual pictures of the mystery turrets.
blacksunshinez51
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/4/2008 11:26:15 AM

Did you get the scope...and do any reviews? And yes I read the Gunblast review, just wondering what your thoughts were.
army_eod
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/8/2008 5:39:58 AM
Yowsa...got the scope. Here are some pics.

So far I just had the LTR to the indoor range to get scope on paper. That was easy and the knobs are real nice. Crisp and tactile.

It weighs 12 oz so it is perfect for my .223 LTR as I want to keep it light.

mcooper
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/8/2008 1:43:37 PM
I'm looking forward to the reviews!
"You must be the change you want to see in the world." -Mahatma Gandhi
-I may like that quote, but I'm no peacenick
Zoomer302
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/8/2008 2:08:13 PM
I just found this thread. Yes I do indeed own a Mk2 4-12 atop a RRA Varmint EOP. Unfortunately I'm at work now and cant post a pic. I love mine. Positive clicks, finger adjustable. Boxed in perfectly. Once sighted in loosen a hex screw and reset knobs to zero. And there are #'s on the turrets.
M4-TUNA
URX MAFIA كافر
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/8/2008 2:58:04 PM
Tag I will this thread.
JUST SHOOT IT! URX MAFIA !
كافر
coltman1985
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/8/2008 3:21:15 PM
Pic of the turrets please!