Author
Posted: 1/16/2007 5:29:05 PM

THE IMAGE ABOVE IS A PAID ADVERTISEMENT
Hi,

Some of you may remember that I've been working on putting together a long range rifle. Well, I went with a remington 700 VSF, warne tactical one piece base, and warne medium tactical rings. Everything fit just fine. The scope mounted is a Zeiss 6.5-20X50 mil-dot.

My problem is that after carefully mounting everything according to the warne instructions, the scope doesn't have enough adjustment to even zero the rifle at 100 yards. It strikes about 4-5 inches low, and gets worse at longer ranges, of course. The rings and base have no adjustment provision.

Is this common? I'm getting ready to contact a gunsmith, but thought I might have missed something.
I've had years of cooped up city life, trapped like a dog in a pen. All I know is it's a pity life can't be simple again.
Trigg
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/16/2007 5:43:50 PM
It sounds like your base is canted more than you can compensate for with the scope.
septic-tank13
think for yourself... question authority...
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/16/2007 9:53:50 PM
the 1" tube scopes with a lot of magnification tend to be limited on elevation adjustment. there might be some guys on the Iowa HTF that would trade. i've been working with yammerschooner on his 700 and i was thinking he had an IOR rail he wasn't using. either that or trade scopes.

i wouldn't do anything without verifying the adjustment of course. you'll need a large target and you'll need to count your clicks and/or get them from the specs with your scope. dial it up and shoot, dial it down and shoot - verify it puts on paper the range up and down you compute, and it'll be pretty clear...

if nothing else, and you're not in a hurry, come to one of the IA HTF "raffles" after the DSM gunshow and i'll trade you across for a straight warne base.

hope this helps.

Deo favente
RL15
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/16/2007 9:56:04 PM
Do you have your 20MOA base on backwards, the thinner section should be to the front making the barrel angle up gaining elevation. you should have had to adjust the scope down not up.
MaxStatic
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/17/2007 5:11:06 PM

Originally Posted By RL15:
Do you have your 20MOA base on backwards, the thinner section should be to the front making the barrel angle up gaining elevation. you should have had to adjust the scope down not up.

This is what I thought too, it you were out of adjustment with a 20MOA base you should be hitting high and the problem should get better as you move out i.e. more bullet drop.
Timanator
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/18/2007 12:02:56 AM
How can you have it backwards? It has a recess for extraction ?
Fast_Jimmy
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/18/2007 1:26:08 AM
I actually have the M673M, not the M673M20MOA, so there is no cant to this base. It's a confounding situation. I've never seen a scope and rifle even close to not matching up like this.
I've had years of cooped up city life, trapped like a dog in a pen. All I know is it's a pity life can't be simple again.
ARtraffic
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/18/2007 1:26:17 AM

Originally Posted By Timanator:
How can you have it backwards? It has a recess for extraction ?

No, the Warne 20 MOA base does not have recess over the port. It's all rail, front to back, both sides.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here; this is the War Room!