Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/30/2017 9:30:16 PM EDT
Glue and screw job, what is the best for walnut?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 9:45:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Titebond 2 or 3 for all my wood projects, but I've never fixed a stock before.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 10:11:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Gorilla glue or any polyurethane glue will hold it. Do not over apply however because it foams as it cures.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 10:33:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm leaning toward a wood glue like titebond, I've had some bad luck with Gorilla glue not aging well , becoming brittle over time.

Wondering about epoxy.....anyone try it?
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 10:44:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Acra glass, a couple of pins, and a lot of stretched surgical tubing to pull it all in.

- Chris
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 11:42:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Tite bond will be least visible. Epoxy will leave a dark line. I have no experience with polyurethane like Gorilla Glue. 
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 11:49:23 PM EDT
[#6]
what caliber?
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 12:18:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Acra glass, a couple of pins, and a lot of stretched surgical tubing to pull it all in.

- Chris
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 9:17:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
what caliber?
View Quote
Remington 600 in 6mm R.E.M.

I'm actually planning to drill a pilot through the grip and put in a brass wood screw to pull it tight

Then dowell it and put a grip cap over it.

I have another stock if I wreck it, but it's one I

"Modified" when I was 19 or 20, and it ain't pretty!
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 8:28:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Brownell's advertise an Accra-Glass specifically as being good for stock repairs.

A proper epoxy job will be stronger and longer lasting then most any wood glue I ever tried.
I also have a low opinion of the vaunted Gorilla Glue.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 2:30:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

- Chris
View Quote
This.

If you are careful and there is no chipping at the edges it will be pretty invisible.

If there is ANY chipping at the edges tint the Acraglass.

Use a couple pins as long as you can fit  and about 1/4 inch diameter and Acraglass them in also.

Steel pins are better than brass.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top