Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/27/2017 8:52:27 PM EDT
So I have a pretty rough Franchi 500 12ga that was more or less free to me.  It has a 28" very light barrel with fixed full choke.  I have no use for this shotgun as is but would love it to be Improved or Modified choke to be a more useful all around gun.  I have looked and replacement barrels are unobtanium. Also being a very light barrel, there is not enough meat to cut and thread for chokes.

My idea is to shorten the barrel until I reach a bore measuring .697~ which should take me to somewhere between Improved and Modified and reset the bead.  Currently the bore measures .675".  I posses the skills to do this and tools but will the shortened "choke" not perform or is this idea plain retarded.  This shotgun has been sitting in my safe for over a year more or less unused so this could also just become an ongoing project.

Any ideas, suggestions, insights would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 9:24:07 PM EDT
[#1]
If the barrel is 'light' you may never get where you want. Just have it reworked for a removable choke.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 9:33:53 PM EDT
[#2]
That would be the ideal situation, but I've been told the barrel is not thick enough to thread for aftermarket chokes.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 9:41:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That would be the ideal situation, but I've been told the barrel is not thick enough to thread for aftermarket chokes.
View Quote
I bought a rough 870 with a PolyChoke for $150 some years ago, barrel length is 23".
I have no interest in selling it or cutting it down.
Ugly kinda but functional.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 1:28:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 9:40:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Would double check, but may still be able to be machined for a  thin wall choke system.

If not, then should not be a problem reaming the reaming to turn the full choke into a improved mod choke isntead.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Would double check, but may still be able to be machined for a  thin wall choke system.

If not, then should not be a problem reaming the reaming to turn the full choke into a improved mod choke isntead.
^ This....what is the OD of the barrel at the muzzle?
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 9:41:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I just measured the OD of the bore at .810".
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 6:27:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I just measured the OD of the bore at .810".
View Quote
If the OD of the barrel is .810” (and does not get smaller behind the the muzzle) then its likely you can have Tru-Choke Small Diameter (aka Thinwall) tube installed in that barrel. These tubes are generally rated for lead shot target velocity loads (no steel, slugs, etc). You can message me for more info if needed.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 7:21:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Thank you for the heads up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top