Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2017 2:06:28 PM EDT
Just like the title says.

Back when I was a grad student, bored in my lab waiting for various processes to finish, I used the dremel, drill press, scrap metal, and bits of broken .22 rifles I bought from a local gunsmith to make a semiautomatic .22 rifle that fed from Beretta NEOS mags (because they were $5 each from CDNN at the time). It looked awful, but not post-apocalyptic cool. It doubled a couple times when I test fired it, so I destroyed it.

I saw some threads on post-apocalyptic builds, and I was thinking about what I could do with hardware store bits and pieces. I figured something low-pressure, bolt action, and cheap to put together. I was debating between .380 and .32 but I'm leaning toward .32 just because it would work through my .30 Form 1 silencer.

Here's my deal. I want to do this with hand-tools only (dremel, hacksaw, hand drill). And I want to use parts from the local hardware stores (Lowe's, Ace, etc.) or auto parts stores. Once I build it as a pistol, I'll do a Form 1 and then carve a stock from a 2x4.

My plan was to use a steel tube as the body, and the bolt handle (probably a 1/4" bolt) would lock into a groove in the body. That's about all I have planned.

So, for you experienced folks, is it feasible to do this safely? I figured .32 ACP would be low-pressure enough that I wouldn't have to worry much, assuming I find a thick enough pipe or tube for the barrel. Any other thoughts?
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 4:50:45 PM EDT
[#1]
it wold be intresting to see, but also that is pretty much exatly the starting gun in fallout 4 http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Pipe_rifle_(Fallout_4)
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 6:03:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Its hard enough to find 32 ammo pre-apocalypse.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 9:23:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
This^

Lots of info Here, not sure if my link will take you there or if you have to create an account.

Weapons Guild; Scrapyard builds and Homebuilt designs.

They do a lot of funky builds, using scrap pieces, melding two guns, ( Think SKS action mated to an FAL Lower), kit builds.

Published plans from successful builds, and a bunch of experienced builders to help you at your finger tips.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 9:35:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

This^

Lots of info Here, not sure if my link will take you there or if you have to create an account.

Weapons Guild; Scrapyard builds and Homebuilt designs.

They do a lot of funky builds, using scrap pieces, melding two guns, ( Think SKS action mated to an FAL Lower), kit builds.

Published plans from successful builds, and a bunch of experienced builders to help you at your finger tips.
View Quote
Interesting. I may sign up so I can take a look.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 9:41:47 PM EDT
[#5]
My interest is piqued, as a Dremmel tool will be involved...

Just do a .22 and be done with it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 9:16:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My interest is piqued, as a Dremmel tool will be involved...

Just do a .22 and be done with it.
View Quote
I was wanting something with a little more punch than .22. I've got a lot of .22 guns.

I suppose I could chamber it in .38 special, instead.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 1:21:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 6:54:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
For post-apocalyptic, base it on 9mm ammo.

Hence it's nato ammo that is daily produced by the freight loads almost every day by the plants across the world, piled deep in every countries military ammo depots for long term storage that will be surplused long before they all of it up, and it's the going to be the last of the loaded ammo that will still be available in the end.
View Quote
I could do that, but I'm not planning on buying a chamber reamer. I was going to find a cheap barrel blank (or used revolver barrel in the correct diameter) and was going to just drill out the straight-walled chamber.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 2:04:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
In the video game Fallout 3, it's all over the place.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 11:30:39 AM EDT
[#10]
funny you mention this. I too plan to try a similar build one day, however I do own a lathe and a drill press so I'll have a small advantage. if you don't have a barrel to work with I wouldn't even consider try it especially with your suppressor (why risk a almost certain baffle strike?)

I was going to do a bolt action pistol rather than a rifle as I have a ~ 8" piece of a mosin nagant barrel I lopped off years ago. dependant on bullet stability I also plan to run it through one of my form 1 cans. I reload and cast so it would be for fun cheap plinking. a lb of powder would last a lifetime in that tiny pipsqueak at 1.5-3gr a shot.

if you do it show pics of the build and finished product!
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 12:43:39 PM EDT
[#11]
First, use only sound metals, especially for the breech and bolt.
Second, headspace it correctly.  If it doesn't headspace, adjust it.  

I take it since you're using hand tools, there'll be no lathe involved.   I suppose you can use a die to thread the barrel and a tap (and bottoming tap) to do the receiver OR you can simply pin it in place (2 pins).  

David Truby's old book, Improvised Firearms, Vol 1-2, talks about all types of home made stuff under expedient circumstances.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top