Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/11/2017 3:26:21 AM EDT
Hello I am building a gun for the first time. I got an Israeli UZI parts kit, and I will be using a US made receiver including trunion and all internal receiver parts, US bolt, and a US made barrel. The only parts I will be using from the parts kit is the trigger housing with trigger and sear, IMI surplus magazines, and front handguards. I have never dealt with 922r but it looks like it only matters on rifles. I am building my UZI as a pistol with a 10 inch barrel and NO stock of any kind. Then I will SBR it later. So I am just curious if I need to worry about 922r for a pistol being built.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 5:55:02 PM EDT
[#1]
922r mentions only semi-auto rifles and shotguns.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 6:30:37 PM EDT
[#2]
The answer is no one really has a definitive answer.  There are scanned ATF letters that show yes you need 922r compliance parts installed, and no you do not need 922r compliance parts installed.

Proceed at your own risk, frankly I'd just put the 922r stuff in there.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 7:04:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
922r mentions only semi-auto rifles and shotguns.
View Quote
This.
18 USC § 922(r) clearly applies only to "any semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun".
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 11:11:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Has anyone been prosecuted for 922r? I mean if you just claim it has US parts how are they going to know?
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 11:20:45 PM EDT
[#5]
922R doesn't apply to pistols.
Even if it did, an uzi build on an American receiver with American trunnions is compliant.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 11:26:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Even if it did, an uzi build on an American receiver with American trunnions is compliant.
View Quote
Would this be true for any foreign parts kits using an American made receiver?
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 2:11:27 AM EDT
[#7]
The rule (under 27 CFR § 478.39) is no more than 10 imported parts. Depending on which list or ATF letter one goes by, UZI rifle builds have 13-15 parts. A US-made receiver and trunnion count for 2.

922(r) prosecutions are extremely rare, and always accompany other federal charges.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_48/328440_UZI_build.html#i2946683
http://www.uzitalk.com/forums/showthread.php?64625-UZI-build-and-922r-compliants-question
http://922r.com/
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 3:04:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks everyone, it is good to have confirmation. As with anything firearm related I like to dot the I's and so forth.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 2:04:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Just to be clear, the 922r doesn't apply for the pistol, but would apply later on when going to the SBR.

BUT, 922r is a manufacturing law, not a possession law. Likely the reason there are no sole prosecutions and only seen as an add-on charge.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 2:15:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
American Receiver
American Trunnions
American Semi Auto Sear

Down to 10 parts.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 5:05:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

American Receiver
American Trunnions
American Semi Auto Sear

Down to 10 parts.
View Quote
+ American Barrel
+ American Bolt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top