Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/8/2017 2:53:19 PM EDT
Would carbide drill bits be necessary for this or can HSS handle it?
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 3:48:43 PM EDT
[#1]
get the best drill bit  you can find, trust me.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 6:26:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
get the best drill bit  you can find, trust me.
View Quote
Carbide is better.

Before carbide was so common a cut off nail was used to spot soften the metal before drilling.

Chuck nail in drill press, cut off the head, file to a flat.
Place against metal and spin with a lot of pressure.
When the metal has heated to dull red stop and allow to cool.

Center punch and spot with a center drill and good drilling oil.
Drill under size and ream to final dimension before threading.

Taper, plug, bottoming (on blind holes).

On a customers gun use new or nearly new taps and a LOT of cutting oil.

Do-drill and tap-magic are both excellent and worth their nominal per job cost.

One full turn (maximum) and then back at least 1/2 a turn.

Use fixturing to start taps straight.

Even fixturing on a drill press table then chucking the tap and turning the chuck by by hand works well.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 7:09:12 PM EDT
[#3]
135° split point HSCO, if possible use "screw machine length". Gurhing, OSG, Union Butterfield, many other top manufactures. Paying extra for top quality pays back dividends in the quality of work you can do. The higher the Cobalt content the better.

Also use good cutting fluid Relton, Castorol Moly-D, etc.

Be sure to set a stop to prevent over travel.

Spot drill or center drill first, just enough to support the final drill tip size. Go easy on the feed until deeper that the spot/center drilled hole.

And everything said above...
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 7:27:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Wow, thanks for all the help guys.

Is there a preferred drilling and cutting oil from whats been listed? Amazon has Tap Magic and can ship with Prime but if any of the other recommendations are better I'll try something different. Or is this more of a personal preference?
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 1:11:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 1:32:43 AM EDT
[#6]
I've done two FSBs on nitride barrels.
I use an end mill to break the surface and make a flat area for the drill bit.
Then I use a TiNi drill bit.
I used a new drill bit for each FSB.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 12:40:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 2:14:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The problem using a drill bit to drill the passage, is that a drill bit will always produce a channel that is wider at the top, then the bottom of the channel.

With a gas port, this means that the gas port will increase quickly as the bottom of the channel starts to plasma erodes from the bottom (flame source) upwards to the larger part of the channel.

To do a gas port correctly that will hold is sized a lot longer, it really needs to under sized drilled, then final reamed.  Hence the metal needs to be annealed enough that your not going to wear out/chip your reamer the first time you go to use it.
View Quote
Drill bits are always make a hole slightly larger than their nominal diameter.

Drilling and then reaming to finished size is how you create a uniform smooth hole.

The drill should be at least a few thousandths of an inch under the reamer size.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 2:55:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top