Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/1/2017 11:37:56 PM EDT
I have a 7.62 NATO round stuck halfway in a K98k. The bolt is about a 1/4" from being all the way forward and will not move forward, backwards, up or down. The safety is off and there are no rounds in the magazine. What do I do!
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:42:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Why in hell did you try to load 7.62x51 into a 7.92x57?

With brass showing, you can do a number of things. First that comes to mind is clamp some vise grips onto the exposed brass and hammer on the vise grips to back the round out of its partial chambering. Can probably get the bolt back before that if you want, by using a small jewelers screwdriver or probe to lever the extractor claw off the round's rim, but that's not necessary if you just want to get the round out.

Last resort would be a wooden or brass dowel down the barrel to hammer the stuck cartridge out - it will push the bullet into the case, but probably get it dislodged if you don't want to go the vise grips way.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 12:03:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Sorry for the poor description. If the bolt moves forward less than a 1/4" and turns downward it will completely locked close.

There is no brass showing. The rear edge of the locking lugs are flush / even with the edge of the receiver. Since the safety is off, if I try the last option with a wooden dowel, could that fire the round?

Thank you very much for your reply.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 12:26:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sorry for the poor description. If the bolt moves forward less than a 1/4" and turns downward it will completely locked close.

There is no brass showing. The rear edge of the locking lugs are flush / even with the edge of the receiver. Since the safety is off, if I try the last option with a wooden dowel, could that fire the round?

Thank you very much for your reply.
View Quote
The cocking of the firing pin takes place at the very last bit of travel, so it's likely that the firing pin is not yet cocked. To be extra sure, you may be able to disassemble the lock mechanism and remove it from the barreled action before attempting to remove the round with a dowel, and that will absolutely ensure there is no tension on the firing pin.

From the position you're in right now, it may be worthwhile to hammer on the bolt handle with a plastic-headed, deadblow hammer, to see if that will get the case unstuck before trying things with a dowel down the barrel.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 12:58:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The cocking of the firing pin takes place at the very last bit of travel, so it's likely that the firing pin is not yet cocked. To be extra sure, you may be able to disassemble the lock mechanism and remove it from the barreled action before attempting to remove the round with a dowel, and that will absolutely ensure there is no tension on the firing pin.

From the position you're in right now, it may be worthwhile to hammer on the bolt handle with a plastic-headed, deadblow hammer, to see if that will get the case unstuck before trying things with a dowel down the barrel.
View Quote
I will try to hammer on the bolt handle with a deadblow hammer, but I would like to try to disassemble the lock mechanism first. How is that done? I think that the firing pin is cocked because the very rear of the bolt ( the part that covers the rear of the firing pin ? ) is extended rearward.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 4:45:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I got the bolt unlocked and the round out with the hammer. Thanks again for the help.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 8:10:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Victory!
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:13:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Now how or why was their a 7.62x51 chambered into this rifle?
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 6:12:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Now how or why was their a 7.62x51 chambered into this rifle?
View Quote
They look similar at a quick glance, despite the 8mm being much longer. My now dead uncle managed to smash a 8mm round in a 7.62 chambered gun somehow. Pounded the bolt shut, pulled the trigger, gun went click, beat the bolt open, looked at the round, PUT IT BACK IN THE GUN, beat the bolt shut, another click, and finally broke the bolt handle off on the second attempt to open it. He couldn't figure out what he did until I showed him.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 6:20:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I got the bolt unlocked and the round out with the hammer. Thanks again for the help.
View Quote
Hammers always work.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top