Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/31/2017 11:07:36 PM EDT
I was wondering if there is a place to get extra long (double length) set screws for a typical ar15 gas block?

I ended up having to drill out an old set screw style gas block on a govt profile colt barrel. I went too deep into the barrel. I'm a bit worried about the depth of the dimples affecting the function/safety of the barrel, but I think it's ok. However, now I'm not sure a normal set screw will be long enough to hold the gas block on. It probably is, but it's hard to tell. If there is a place to get longer set screws they will probably solve the problem.

Thanks for any insight.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 1:04:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Go to any decent hardware store (or even HD or Lowes) and bring your set screw. Most have a board with several threaded studs and holes. Find which matches the thread size and pitch of your existing screw. Get a longer one with the same thread size/pitch. Should cost you all of a dollar. Done.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 8:58:15 AM EDT
[#2]
awesome. thank you. probably should have thought of that, but for some reason i get stuck in my head that all gun parts are "special" parts. ill give that a try. thanks.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 6:43:24 AM EDT
[#3]
If that fails, look for a local Fastenal, then McMaster
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 3:07:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
awesome. thank you. probably should have thought of that, but for some reason i get stuck in my head that all gun parts are "special" parts. ill give that a try. thanks.
View Quote
If they are a 'standard' machine thread it is a real rarity.

Many gun threads are very purpose selected for each application.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 7:58:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't know that gas block set screws are a standardized part. I have seen them being 1/4-20, 10-32 or 8-32 (all common SAE sizes)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top