Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/23/2017 3:19:33 AM EDT
None of my rifles have canted fsbs but i just wanted to know and plan on using this topic as a reference if I come across that issue. How can you tell if you have a canted fsp and how do you fix it? For my next question I have noticed the ears on my fsb is slightly uneven. one is leaning out than the other. Is that normal or is it a defect? I understand im not focusing my targets using the ears but it's something I've been wondering
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:30:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends on the type of rifle.

Some rifles are made in such as way that you can put a straight edge on the top of the sight and compare with a flat on the top or side of a receiver, rear sight base or other feature on the rifle.

Other rifles are simply "eyeballed" to spot canting.

Repair, again, depends on the rifle.
Usually repair requires driving out any pins, moving the sight base straight, then re-drilling the holes and inserting new pins.
The trick is to remember that what you're really doing is cutting new grooves in the barrel for the pins to fit into, not drilling holes.
It's too easy to enlarge the holes in the base and wind up with a situation where the holes are bigger then the grooves and the base is easily bumped out of alignment.
Often a real professional will CUT new grooves using a milling machine bit to re-cut the grooves straight.

While it's not unusual for a damaged sight base or a base that was cheaply made to have ears that aren't even, it's not a big issue unless it's so bad it's distracting.
Sometimes the ear can be heated up and bent back into shape, but sometimes the ear will simply snap off, ruining the base.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top