Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/18/2017 9:55:54 AM EDT
I posted this in GD as well but figured its probably more appropriate here

The recoil spring is in the stock like a AR or a FAL

Obviously they probably relocated the spring up front some place, but where or how seems to be a mystery. This is the only picture I have ever seen of this thing. I have never seen it recreated either.

If you look close he is holding onto some sort of rod. Could be a rigged bipod, or it could have something to do with the recoil system. The front of the receiver is also shaped "funny" as it is rounded when it should be square.

Thoughts and ideas?

Link Posted: 5/20/2017 1:57:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 2:16:54 PM EDT
[#2]
MACV SOG used them too.

Only ever read that they were "Chopped"

Link Posted: 6/7/2017 6:28:10 PM EDT
[#3]
As always, I still come back to these threads.

I'll probably be coming back every few months, as I dig up more info...and here's some: "Johne Fletcher shows off armourer Phil Morgan’s converted RPD 1 for close–quarter fighting. The butt has beenchopped off, the barrel shortened and the recoil feed mechanism reversed— something the Soviets were never
able to achieve."

That's the caption to the original photo.  Unfortunately, the armorers, Mr. Morgan, passed on about a year ago. Always seems to happen this way, and I wish I would have gotten on the ball earlier, especially since I've known about this pic for many years now. Too much stuff to do, so it goes.

Now I've got to go back to researching heat treating on those rpd receivers. I've got one or two 80%'ers that are in storage, but one of these years I'll start working on them. Or the son will, once I'm dead.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 10:51:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'll probably be coming back every few months, as I dig up more info...and here's some: "Johne Fletcher shows off armourer Phil Morgan’s converted RPD 1 for close–quarter fighting. The butt has beenchopped off, the barrel shortened and the recoil feed mechanism reversed— something the Soviets were never
able to achieve."
View Quote
This makes me think it was done SIG 550/551/553 style, just as Dano523 mentioned. Just because Morgan achieved it though, does not mean it was a reliable setup.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 11:06:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
MACV SOG used them too.

Only ever read that they were "Chopped"

http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx340/petejsmith/P2240195_zpsa88e8b24.jpg
View Quote
Uuuh.... That's not a real gun. It's propped up on a 3"x5" scotchbrite pad that was obviously just used to distress the model paint it was painted with.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 11:24:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah that's a GI Joe gun or something. They really did it though.
Here are a couple real ones for you...

And of course they used the full-size ones as well...

Link Posted: 6/7/2017 11:26:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Here's a recent one my buddy Flem made.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 11:27:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Uuuh.... That's not a real gun. It's propped up on a 3"x5" scotchbrite pad that was obviously just used to distress the model paint it was painted with.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 12:23:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Any way you can get some info about the shortened gas system?
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 12:25:52 AM EDT
[#10]
What specifically are you looking for?
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 8:36:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What specifically are you looking for?
View Quote
Im curious on how far he moved each barrel accessory back and am pretty curious how the piston looks too.

Honestly Id like to build something similar. I just finished a 16" RPD build and I think I would like something a bit smaller better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top