Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2017 8:15:42 PM EDT
I have a 16" varmint-contour barrel that takes a 0.936" gas block.  I recently mucked up the gas block area removing the old gas block.

Can I have my barrel's gas block area turned down to 0.750" diameter and make a fresh start?  I don't see this option listed at ADCO, so I'm curious to know if there is a specific reason for it.

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 8:24:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, it's possible - but not very common, so it's not unusual you wouldn't see it on a regular price sheet. Ask about the price.

If your gas block mounts with pins, there will be some work to be done there, redrilling for the new gas block, or matching the existing pin locations on the new gas block, if the turn-down doesn't remove the grooves from the barrel. If it's a set-screw, the dimple(s) will likely have to be redone.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 10:22:25 PM EDT
[#2]
You can, but I'd stop at 0.875" instead of going all the way down to .750" on the first go.

Might also want to think about having the barrel sent out for cryo treatment afterwards, just to relieve any stress changes from the turning. Though you could shoot it first and see if there was a significant change or not after being turned.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 6:39:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys, good feedback.

I especially like the 875 gas block idea.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 11:23:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 9:12:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I used to make FSBs to fit odd diameters for barrels I bought off ebay and turned/chambered to fit an AR profile of some sort.  It was a neat afternoon project in the garage.

Any ideas where I can find more of these raw forgings?

Link Posted: 5/17/2017 3:07:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Try to stick with 'standard' [round] dimensions.

Odd sizes are NOT usually a commodity item.

A custom hemispherical cutter is not a low cost item.

You can generally get them in any size you might want but lead time and cost are NOT insignificant.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top