Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/25/2017 12:25:42 PM EDT
So this happened:
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I noticed that the screw heads were shaped a little funny but figured it was just cosmetic. I'm pretty good about not over gorilla tightening screws in, they both snapped off as soon as it hit a little resistance were brand new screws and hand guard too.

Fortunately they shouldn't be too tight, there a small drop of vibra tite vc3 on each screw so that shouldn't be difficult to work through.

ETA: that's and Aero Quantum Handguard

Do they make easy outs this small?
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 12:37:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 12:57:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Try left hand drill bits.  Easy outs ain't!

https://www.mscdirect.com/industrialtools/left-hand-drill-bits.html

I don't know whether the Rescue Bits work well or not.  They are going to be a helluva tool to remove the remnants of EZ Outs.

Those countersunk Apex screws don't leave much cross section at the bottom of the recess.  I'd be curious about the material used, but they'd need to be heat treated to 200 ksi or greater to develop more than barely snug torques.
View Quote
Oh yeah, a left hand but is a good idea.

You can see how deformed the screw head is in the bottom pic, I'm assuming something went terribly wrong in the manufacturing process.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 10:38:54 PM EDT
[#3]
5/64 left hand drill bit to the rescue. Was able to finesse the little fuckers out without damaging anything.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 5:00:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top