Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/10/2017 2:32:32 AM EDT
When my Dad left the Marines after WWII he bought a 1903A3 from the armory. He began to sporterize it with a Montecarlo stock, but never finished and when I was 30 something I asked if I could borrow it.

I had the barrel and action reblued and finished the stock myself. Then took it to a smith that had done his own 1903A3 sported rifle to have the action bedded and install a Timney trigger. Also tapped for mounting a scope rail. After it was all done it looked great and I gave it to him at Christmas all finished up.

Now I find that when the safety is on and trigger is pulled, the striker move. It will then fall when the safety is flipped off.

I haven't taken it apart yet to look. Is this a common occurrence that can be fixed or adjusted easily or do I need to take it to a smith to look at?
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 9:18:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Timneys are great triggers, but I like Hubers better.

http://huberconcepts.com/product/springfield-trigger/
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 1:55:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 5:08:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Thank you for the adjustment steps Dano.

The safety was changed to allow for scope clearance. The lever now curves slightly around the scope. I'll take a pic and post.

If the trigger is pulled when safety is on, the striker gets released but catches after a slight movement forward. The striker needs to be pulled back by hand to reset so the safety can be released.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 2:42:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 1:06:33 AM EDT
[#5]
It seems the safety is cams into the firing pin OK. I stripped the bolt removing the firing pin and striker mechanism. I can't see any damage.

Took some pictures of the bolt in and out of the rifle.

I noticed the safety assembly can be rotated without pressing in the silver locking mechanism. A couple disassembly videos indicate the silver mechanism needs  to be pressed before it can be rotated. Maybe it's just worn. Not sure if it has anything to do with it.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top