Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/11/2017 6:12:05 PM EDT
Hello Everyone - I've got one of AAC Handi-Rifles in 300 Blackout.

Out of the box, the hammer has always struck the primers off center - high and halfway between center and the edge of the primer. The hammer dimple is very deep and large diameter, very much like the dimple made by an UZI, which I consider a good thing.

I'd say the first 40 rounds there was no problem - bang every time.

The following 20 rounds do not fire on the first strike, but 100% on the 2nd strike. The hammer dimple in the primer has not moved location nor depth whatsoever. My guess is that while I say the location hasn't moved, it must have by some very tiny amount that puts it just out of the reliable area on the primer. I have to believe that the gun (all guns) are designed to strike the center of the primer and this one started life on the border.

I am done shooting it until this is resolved. 60 rounds total fired.

Is this something that I can *fix*?
Is this a known issue?
Will this defect happen again if I get it fixed?
Is there any specifics that I can pass along to a gunsmith to fix it properly?

Left brass fired on first shot. Right brass only on second pull. No idea why it is black - the primer did not rupture.

No idea if you can tell anything from these pictures.
First is an attempt at the firing pin hole.
Second is an attempt at the top of the receiver to the top of the barrel assembly.

Link Posted: 3/11/2017 6:23:19 PM EDT
[#1]
My WAG is that either the firing pin hole is off center or the barrel to receiver lock up is way out of spec.  I'd sent it back for repair.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 1:02:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Your gun needs to be sent in for repair or replacement. The firing pin channel was drilled improperly, and the only reason you were getting ignition is the primer cup was being crushed against the side of the anvil. unfortunately with a little wear, it looks like now your firing pin is hitting too far off center to work on the first strike. Only way to fix this is to replace the receiver, or have the breech face sleeved with a new firing pin channel, best left for H&R to take care of.

Also, your second shell has a blackened primer indent because it has ruptured, but only with a very tiny hole, that was most likely resealed by bits of burnt primer compound when pressure dropped enough to stop pushing them through the hole. Once the carbon is cleaned out, the "hole" will look almost like a pinprick to the naked eye. Not a serious issue, but a side effect of your firing pin pinching the primer cup against the edge of one of the anvil legs.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 11:49:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Are they reloads? If so, your problem may be either not seating the primers fully in the pocket, or you could had squished your cases down too far and created a headspace issue. Either one could cause this issue.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 12:42:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Is this a new or used rifle?

Regardless, the last few (3 or 4) numbers of the serial number on the receiver should match the number engraved on the side of the barrel lug.

Remove the barrel and clean it thoroughly.
Pay special attention to the extractor as something may have gotten under it and prevent the barrel closing completely.
Also make sure that there is no crap in the pivot pin/lug (hinge) interface.

I have more ideas, but start here first.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 5:55:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Factory new ammunition.
I purchased it new. Has 60 rounds thru it.
No crud in the action.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 11:29:56 AM EDT
[#6]
It's pretty obvious that the barrel is not closing enough.

There is a FAQ in this sub-forum which should help you find the problem if you are so inclined.:
http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/11-h-r-talk.html

Calling Remington customer support is the other option.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 12:55:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Back to the Mfr, no doubt.
This is why you purchase things with a reputable warranty, so they do not have to become your problem.

Good luck and keep us posted
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 10:46:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I have the same gun and I just checked the barrel to frame fit and it looks in your pic like the barrel to frame fit is off.

If you have any other H&R guns I'd try swapping barrels and frames to see if you can determine what's off.

Also, check out the GBO forums for advice. You won't get any repair help from H&R since they have closed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top